True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

C.
Poway CA
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2013 :  7:14:28 PM  Show Profile
Hello from Denver!

I'm writing to see if anyone has any bee keeping equipment to share/spare? I am lucky enough to have a very experienced bee keeper willing to help me along on this adventure, but everything is wicked expensive for a newbie!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as well!

Thank you,

C

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2013 :  7:33:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi. I am just getting into beekeeping too! I went today to a store near me that sells everything to do with bees. I had put an ad on CL for used equipment but no one ever called. It's that time of year I guess. So I got my suit, smoker and a hive tool for only $83. I was thinking it was going to be a whole lot more. I have to go back to get the gloves which were $14. I hope you can find some good bee things. When are you getting bees? I'll be taking classes and work shops to learn all I can.

My sister and brother live in Colorado Springs. I've been there a few times. Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Kris

The good beekeeper is generally more or less cranky. C.P. Dadant

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

coccocolorado
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

C.
Poway CA
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2013 :  7:44:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kris!

Wow, that is an amazing price! I have been stalking CL as well, I think my next stop will be to post on Freecyle. I just bought my house a few months ago-to be honest, I had hoped to be recovered from the down payment, etc. to be able to get my Queen and supplies ordered this month! I don't want to start so late that they don't have time to acclimate.

Have you joined any bee keepers meetups yet?

C

quote:
Originally posted by kristin sherrill

Hi. I am just getting into beekeeping too! I went today to a store near me that sells everything to do with bees. I had put an ad on CL for used equipment but no one ever called. It's that time of year I guess. So I got my suit, smoker and a hive tool for only $83. I was thinking it was going to be a whole lot more. I have to go back to get the gloves which were $14. I hope you can find some good bee things. When are you getting bees? I'll be taking classes and work shops to learn all I can.

My sister and brother live in Colorado Springs. I've been there a few times. Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2013 :  8:08:47 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I'm getting involved in as many meetings and workshops as I can. Also I am going to go up the road from me where I have seen several hives up by the road to meet them. I want to see if they'll let me help them with their hives and learn all I can from them. There is also a guy who sells at a market that I sell at and he has probably a few hundred hives too. He's really nice and helpful. So there are a lot of people with hives. And so far, they are all really nice and helpful. I learn so much by doing rather than reading, so I'll need more hands on experience. Then of course, I will learn as I go. That's the best teacher.

I'll be going to a meeting next Wed. night. Then a workshop April 13th. Then the bee store has classes too. Their 1st will be a beginner class. So I'll take the next one after that, since I'll already have 2 under my belt. I can hardly wait for my bees now! It's so exciting.

Keep looking. And ask around too. SOmeone always knows someone else. You just never know. Also put up little ads at local feed stores or places like that. And talk to people! Good luck. Where are your bees coming from?

Kris

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4234 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4234 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2013 :  05:10:45 AM  Show Profile
Things do add up quickly. You dont' need a whole lot to get started though. A veil, gloves, smoker. Hive tool, you could use a small pry bar if you have one. The little extra tools you can get along the way. I ordered from Mann Lake. We also made our hive boxes. Did order frames and had to put them together. Nothing is cheap to get into, but once you taste your own honey, it is soooo well worth it. Then you will be wanting that second hive! Keeping bees is a great adventure, and there is always so much to learn. They are the most amazing creatures, I think.
My hive is foundationless, so I use the crush and strain method to harvest honey.
Have fun
Michele
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2013 :  05:48:53 AM  Show Profile

Not sure if this will help...but sometimes a local county extension office or something similar to that might be able to assist you with finding some stuff you need...or at least put you in the right direction...

Blessings,

Judy

"Country Girl at Heart"...
Go to Top of Page

Beth Jones
True Blue Farmgirl

3196 Posts

beth
tallassee alabama
3196 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2013 :  4:28:53 PM  Show Profile
That sounds so interesting!! Keep us posted on how it goes.. Smiles,Beth

You can never be to kind!
Go to Top of Page

coccocolorado
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

C.
Poway CA
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2013 :  7:31:29 PM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies! Great ideas! I too, learn by doing. Michele, I will have to look into the crush and strain method. I know the Denver Bee Group has the equipment to spin the frames for members-so that's $20 well spent! I have always loved bees-never afraid, not one to run screaming, flailing my arms etc. And when you read so much about the colony collapse,it makes me want to do more. And then of course there's the honey :D Once I get the bees sorted, I'll move on to chickens!

City Girl
Country Heart
Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2013 :  8:55:38 PM  Show Profile
Here's a link to a site that has lots of bee equipment plans so you can make them yourself and keep the cost down. http://www.beesource.com/

Heather

Beekeeping in Northern Colorado

http://homesteadincity.blogspot.com/
http://littlehouseonthebumper.blogspot.com/ (My "glamper" page)

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

coccocolorado
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

C.
Poway CA
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  6:48:08 PM  Show Profile
Heather!

That is an awesome site-Thank you! Sadly, I'm not very handy-yet-but it's a great resource!

C

City Girl
Country Heart
Go to Top of Page

coccocolorado
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

C.
Poway CA
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2013 :  3:22:35 PM  Show Profile
Heather?

Is it to late to get my hive started for this year? I know Queens should have been shipping by the end of March from some places-but I am wondering if I can still get one "local"?

Any ideas?

C

City Girl
Country Heart
Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  09:50:08 AM  Show Profile
Im so sorry that I have not gotten back to you sooner. It is not to late to start a hive this year. In fact my new bee packages wont even arrive until May 4th. They have been delayed because of our rather lousy weather. The only thing that could hold you back is the availability of bees. This year was a tough one and most local vendors are already SOLD out. Or they are charging a ridiculous amount (150.00). If you could try collecting a swarm from a tree or outside of a home if you advertised you are interested. If not you may have to wait till next Spring. Order your Bees early say December-March to ensure you get some.
Have you been down to Urban Homesteading 200 Sante Fe Drive, Denver? You should look them up its a very cool deal. http://www.denverurbanhomesteading.com/

Heather

Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  10:01:31 AM  Show Profile
BTW, I believe Urban Homesteading is having a honey extraction demonstration on the 27th. They also have rentals of equipment.
Does your part of Denver allow you to have goats and chickens?

Heather

Farm Girl Sister #662

Edited by - Heather B on Apr 25 2013 10:03:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2013 :  4:59:43 PM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
Wanted to mention I just listed 3 bee keeping books on eBay in case anyone is interested. My ID is decamper. ; )

Bringing the Past Back to Life
www.freewebs.com/decampsettlement or DeCamp CSA Farm on Facebook
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It's better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not."-Montgomery Gentry
Go to Top of Page

coccocolorado
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

C.
Poway CA
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2013 :  5:48:14 PM  Show Profile
We can have chickens-not 100% sure about goats, although I did see a few listed on the shelter directory! I think I need one. My garden tanked this year-first year in this climate, so I'm not to sussed, but pray I do better with my chickens and bees next year!

Farmgirl Sister #5348
City Girl
Country Heart
Go to Top of Page

coaloha
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Pam

USA
502 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2013 :  5:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Send coaloha an AOL message
Please keep us informed on how the bee-keeping adventure is going! This is something that sounds so interesting but I don't think I will ever do (my husband is bee-advserse). Good luck with assembling the equipment!

Pam
Farmgirl #1075
Go to Top of Page
  *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Bee Keeping Equipment Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page