Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2013 :  04:03:24 AM  Show Profile
To start seeds indoors? Every year, we have all these volunteer plants popping up (probably from the compost - I'm pretty lazy about removing seeds before tossing things in), and I always say that one year I'm just going to direct sow EVERYTHING and see what happens. This year, I haven't been able to start any of my seeds indoors yet for various reasons, and I'm wondering if it might be okay just to direct sow instead when the soil warms up? We just prepped our beds yesterday, and the cool winter vegetable seeds will be going in today (I am diligent about keeping them protected from the cold - it works like a charm!). Do you know if there are any tricks for direct sowing warm weather seeds? We do have quite a few reclaimed windows out in the garage, and I was thinking maybe it'd be a good idea to create a makeshift cold frame by placing them atop of bales of straw and see if that will work to help my tomatoes and other good things grow, but I wanted to get your advice and tips before hauling everything out to the gardenn Please let me know!

Thank you!!!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2013 :  04:46:25 AM  Show Profile
I didn't live in Pennsylvania long enough to really be able to answer your question, but here in Connecticut, if I don't start seeds indoors many of the varieties won't have enough time to reach maturity. Check with your local extension, Nini. They are the best way to find out gardening advice for your specific area.

Hugs!
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2013 :  05:14:52 AM  Show Profile
Hi Nini,
When I lived in MA. It was very hard to start seeds indoors, just did not have all the tools needed. So I figured out really how much money I would save by doing it myself. Well, as for the math ... it worked out that I could buy the plants (tomato, peppers) But direct sowed the rest in the garden. MA. does not have a long growing season, but most everything I planted did fine. You just could not plant another crop, unless you had a hoop house.
Here in KY. you can throw a seed in the ground, turn around and look back and it is sprouting!
I now but the same plants,(tomato, peppers) from the Amish and direct sow the rest. The only difference is about a 2-3 month longer growing season:)

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2013 :  06:07:31 AM  Show Profile
Oh! You know what, Nicole! <smackin' my forehead, here!> I didn't even think of that! I'm so glad you reminded me about the extension! Thank you!!!!!

LOL! Teri - I sure wish I could live in Kentucky, then! :) That's very good advice - thank you! I was actually thinking about buying some pepper and tomato transplants from SeedSavers this year, now I think I may make a phone call to them today, and plant a few seeds later just to see how they do with direct sowing! Yay! Thankfully, I do definitely get more than one season each year. Last summer I direct-sowed cabbages along with the usual lettuce, turnips, peas, carrots and spinach and had a nice little turn out before closing up the garden for winter. For now, I just cover our plants with old sheets and blankets in the evenings or whenever it snows or the temp is going to be below freezing. That's great for the cold weather, but probably way too much for the warmer veggies. I'd like to buy some floating row covers or hoop-supported covers, but wouldn't even know how to decide what to buy or where to buy them. Any suggestions?

You girls are the best! Really! Thank you!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2013 :  11:25:47 AM  Show Profile
We have direct sown a few seeds for years now. We have always just waited til last frost and used veggies that have relatively short growing periods. I know the Amish in our area will cut gallon milk jugs in half and cover their plants with those. Good luck!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2013 :  6:13:02 PM  Show Profile
Nini, I've direct sown most of my vegies (we live near Chicago, zone 5b)for many years. We've seen dwindling success the last 2 years, despite proper applications of compost and water. Obviously, last year is kind of a "it doesn't count year" because of the drought/heat we had. But let me say this: the plant that did the best was a seedling that had been transplanted. This year, I've got several trays of seeds started - some for us, and some for the Master Gardener plant sale our extension office is hosting mid-May.

The milk jug thing is an awesome way to extend your growing season. I did it with the kids for many years as part of homeschool. Look up articles online about winter sowing - that will give you some more insight.

Hope that helps!

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2013 :  11:21:59 AM  Show Profile
Hey nini

Over here near Harrisburg I have had limited success with direct sow. Peas seem to do well, also carrots, onion sets, and potatoes. As for direct sowing of tomatoe I can't say. Due to last year's drought we lost 98% of our tomatoes and peppers. The Watermelons did grow nicely, but yeilded 0. This year I found Sprout Robot (google it) It has wonderful information on when to plant or start out indoors.

Good luck and keep us updated.

---
Farmgirl #2951
2012 Farmgirl of the Year
http://simpileeliving.blogspot.com/
And my new Etsy listings http://www.etsy.com/shop/alterationsbyemily
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2013 :  12:01:07 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much, girls!

Ann, I did try direct sowing my cole crops over the weekend, as well as spinach, beets, carrots, onions and peas. I figure if they don't work, this year, I'll just break down and make a visit to the nursery a few towns over. They do organic and local heirloom plants, so I won't feel too, too bad about it, if it's necessary! We don't buy milk in jugs, so I think I'd better send out an email and ask friends to save a few for me! :) Thank you for sharing your experience with this. I'll be excited to see how it goes. Fingers crossed and saying prayers!

Emily - I hear you. We do direct sow the items you mention, as well as rutabagas, turnips, squash, melons, cucumbers, radishes, lettuces, spinach, etc. I've not had a whole lot of luck with potatoes these past couple of years, but I'm working on prepping the soil differently and sowing in beneficial companions to help them along. We didn't receive nearly as much rain last year as usual, but I know we didn't suffer the same drought conditions as you did. One way we combatted the problem was by catching water in rain barrels and using it along with gray water in the garden. My garden was absolutely amazing until those nasty squash bugs and vine borers rolled in. (Curses!) Like you, we also had a few absolutely LOVELY plants grow with absolutely no fruit. My cauliflower plants were gorgeous, but we had nothing but green leaves - SO disappointing! I'll definitely check out Sprout Robot - thank you! This year, I think we're just too late for growing seedlings indoors, so I'm going to keep sowing a few seeds and see where they take us.

Last year, I had tremendous success when I planted spinach, beets, rutabagas, onion seeds and lettuce in March. We amended the soil as soon as it could be worked, then sowed and covered with a generous layer of straw. Whenever the temperature fell below freezing - day or night - we just scrambled out to cover the bed with old blankets and comforters. All our friends and neighbors scoffed and swore up and down that it was a waste of time, but hey were sorely mistaken. In no time, we had wonderful growth, and before we knew it, the warmer weather hit and we were enjoying spinach salads out on the deck! YAY! So, I'm willing to give planting seed now for the cole crops a try. We'll see what happens. I'll definitely keep you posted! :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Mar 15 2013 12:06:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2013 :  09:16:02 AM  Show Profile
we do the wintersowing too and then when we plant the teeny seedlings in the garden I use the milk jug tops to cover each one -- usually works really well :)

http://troutwife.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop/brooktroutwife
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2013 :  08:45:17 AM  Show Profile
I love the milk jugs...great idea.