Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 A Discussion About Book Discussions?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic A Discussion About Book Discussions? Next Topic  

Lyndell
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Leah
Richwood Ohio
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2013 :  07:01:10 AM  Show Profile
Hey All! I thought maybe I'd post here and get some input from those of you who've participated in book clubs or discussion groups before.

My partner and I recently started a group on Meetup.com based around our interest in gardening, hobby farming, permaculture, modern-day homesteading, etc. As part of the group I decided to host a monthly book discussion focusing on books relating to the group's interests. This is all well and good, except for one itty bitty thing: I've never participated in--or moderated--book discussions before!

I had hoped that the discussions would attract a small group of people and we could keep it very casual. But so far, 17 people have signed up! I'm pleased by the response, but now I feel as though I'll have to make the discussion a bit more formal. I've got a discussion guide for this month's book that I might utilize a bit, but I'm kind of grasping at straws.

My questions to you are:

1) If you lead/host discussions, how do you prepare? Do you find that you need to heavily "moderate" your discussions or does conversation happen naturally? Is this different for larger groups?

2) If you participate in book discussions, how do you prefer they are lead? Do you prefer the host be very involved in directing discussion, or not?

I understand that each group of people is going to be different and I'll have to wait and see what my group is like to really figure out what works... but this newbie'd still appreciate any input and experience you'd like to share!

http://foxgloveandfolksongs.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sister #4236

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2013 :  10:37:12 AM  Show Profile
I've been in several book discussions and it kind of depends on the type of discussion it is. I was in group reading through classics and we took turns leading. It meant a lot of research for the leader and a very guided discussion with a minimal amount of rabbit trails.

I personally like the more informal discussions where the leader has a few questions in mind to get the group started, but kind of lets the discussion follow it's own path. The leader was there to kind of keep things moving though. If there was a lull he/she would throw out a question to get us going again.

The most recent book group I participated in was for a friend working on her doctorate and was doing a project on community and how our built environment affects the level of community. She asked a couple of questions to get us started and realized that our comments were completely a direction she hadn't anticipated. Turns out, the entire group was made up of introverts and she is extremely extroverted. A great conversation ensued! (most of us disagreed with parts of the book she thought was spot on)

Have fun with it!

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic A Discussion About Book Discussions? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page