westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - May 02 2005 :  4:59:05 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone, I was wondering if a/one out there knows a/thing about community gardens. I have been talking to my husband about it. I would love to try & start one. There is some open space here in farmingdale but I cant touch it price wise. If I could I'd have my farm. But, there must be a way. I did contact my coop. extension & havent heard a/thing back yet. I thought if people worked together to accomplish this everone would benifit. Also I thought it would help produce food for people w/ little or no income, they could help out when they could & they'd be eating well & feeding their families. Anyone have any ideas?? Michele

terese
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

terese
chagrinfalls ohio
USA
63 Posts

Posted - May 02 2005 :  5:12:03 PM  Show Profile  Send terese an AOL message
we just had a woman in our local area find an area of land that has been vacant. She recieved permission from the chamber of commerce to start a csa and now has people buying shares and maintainin there plot of land in the community. Also my son attends an inner city catholic boys school,that has one on there block and it is worked on by the boys and the community. Talk to your schools especially high schools that might be willing to help raise money for the community and get a project started for service. good luck
terese

beginnings
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 02 2005 :  5:53:07 PM  Show Profile
Michele-- I don't know how receptive they would be , but how about the folks over at Allaire? I know they used to do those living history weekends, maybe they would feel a community garden was in keeping with the village? It's worth a call, they have alot of unused open areas. We've had a few community gardens that were always well taken care of in this county. The city of Trenton has alot of community gardens that are sponsored and mentored by a group called Isles. You might want to contact them for info, they've been doing it for 25 years successfully in less than ideal circumstance. Good luck, a friend of ours has gardened this way for 20 years and likes the sense of community with the other gardeners and she now has a yard she could garden in if she chooses but continues to go to the community garden. That's a pretty good indication it's a good thing!

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on May 03 2005 11:43:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - May 03 2005 :  5:16:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi all. I recently contacted our local food bank because there was an article in the newspaper that said that the demand for food was skyrocketing. I called the director and left a message that I would be willing to allow folks to use about an half acre of my land for a community garden. Waiting to hear back.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 03 2005 :  7:42:07 PM  Show Profile
You are a good samaritan, Connie. Let us know how it all turns out!

P.S. (Just had an afterthought... for your own protection, Connie, check with your insurance company regarding liability issues. Whenever you invite people to your property, it's better to be safe than sorry.)

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb

Edited by - Clare on May 03 2005 8:56:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 03 2005 :  8:16:47 PM  Show Profile
Way to go Connie! Your kind heart goes far in life!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 04 2005 :  7:35:54 PM  Show Profile
As an underwriter for an insurance company, PLEASE,PLEASE follow Claire's advise.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - May 05 2005 :  5:37:05 PM  Show Profile
I have not heard back from the Food Bank Director so insurance may be a moot point.

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic community gardens Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page