Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Quilt store job opportunity-ADVICE
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Quilt store job opportunity-ADVICE Next Topic  

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  06:12:33 AM  Show Profile
Well, I took a lovely flannel rag quilting class yesterday. Next Sat is the second half of it.

Yes, I could have just done it myself at home. But, I have been craving female friendship and companionship and sharing. When I did my hours sewing blocks for the breast cancer quilt that will be auctioned off, I decided to enjoy that type of fellowship again by taking a paid for class.

What was so neat is that I met one of my neighbors who just got a machine and started quilting and sewing. I also reacquainted myself with a woman I used to see at Curves. There was another lady who was there and lives closer to the store.

The owner of the store is a chiropractor and has her office open and works there most of the time. She is still trying to fill hours at the store as well as find more teachers for classes. She asked if I would be interested in working one or two days there.

It is a very nice possibility of working one day for sure. My husband is OK with this. He says he will take Jake that day. He is self employed and I have asked for a day to do things for myself. This job would definitely ensure that it happens.

The thing I wonder about is getting drawn into doing more down there, probably out of desire on my part. I would enjoy teaching some sewing or quilting classes. I would be inspired to sew even more at home.

I find it difficult at times to finish up things I start or even find the time to begin as I homeschool Jake and there is homework to help with my daughte and just the usual housekeeping, cleaning, cooking, laundry, errand running, chaufeuring.

So, I have been praying about female friends and think that maybe God is OK with this, maybe this is the answer to my prayer? I have wanted to advertise and get my MJF group going, and have not gotten around to it yet.

So, the question is what to do? Any advice from you ladies? I know most of you are busy as well and wonder how you combine self nurture with home responsibilities.

Country girl in NE PA

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  06:56:05 AM  Show Profile
Oh Clare, sounds wonderful! But in a way you are right! I know for me, I would do more, and more, and then well....you know. I don't want to feel negative, it would be a lovely job, meeting friends, meeting ladies, and advertising MJF, but you will be on your feet, helping others to make decisions, hauling bolts of fabric, putting it up again, and one day will turn into two, etc. Ask me how I know, I have worked at a quilt shop, worked at a Hancocks. If it's a busy shop, you won't have time to sit down! But then - that's what I love. But you will still have all the other things to do at home. My children are grown and gone. I spend 7 days a week alone, my husband is not demanding, I don't cook regular meals, I even hate to drive into town 16 miles one way to get (food). Once you get hooked, that's all you want to do. Sewing, quilting has taken over my life. Now, if that's what you want - I say go for it. But the more people you meet, the more you will want to work, the more you will want to do. As beautiful as you sew, make your wares and sell them. Just teach a sewing class or apron class, that would only take up x number of hours. You would still meet girls, friends, and get a group going! I work with two quilt shops. And that is a bunch. I put up one sign in one store, and our first meeting had 21 ladies with me. Our meeting last week had 18 with me. We are all starved to share and have the companionship with our friends, and sisters. But it will blossom!! Now that is not a bad thing, and I just love every minute of it. It does get me out, doing something with others, but it does take up some of my extra time. Wherever that is!!!! So, this is just my humble opinion. Ask the owner if you could start out teaching a class? Then you could get a feeling for the shop, how does everyone work together, how busy is it, do you have time to socialize with the customers to recruit for MJF, do you have time to prepare the stages of sewing and aprons before classes, and things like that, before you commit to working there. It's an addiction! But then if that's what your ready for, I say go for it!!!!! I love everything about sewing, quilting, sharing, and learning!!!! I learn (sew) much from others, and learn from sharing. So now may be your time. God plants a seed, and if all is right - it will grow! Call me if you want to talk! Sharing this with you with love,

love, hugs, and strawberries, gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  07:29:00 AM  Show Profile
Clare- I have a slightly different take on this...I think that if you feel the need for some time away, interacting on an adult level in an environment you like...Go for it! Too often women feel guilty
for doing something that will feed the essence of who they are. I know I did not go away overnight anywhere until my son was almost 9. I felt guilty but went w/ my cousins and we had a great time. Upon returning, I asked "Well did you all survive without me?" The answer was "We missed you Mom and are glad you are back! When can we have another "just the guys" weekend?!! Sometimes you have to give yourself a break so that no matter how much you love being a wife and mother, you first and always will be Clare. I don't think you are being selfish by wanting to enjoy a little time for yourself, meet new people and earn a little $$$. Besides...quilters are the NICEST people!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  10:11:05 AM  Show Profile
Clare -- I think this would be a wonderful opportunity for you to have female companionship, be involved in something that you love to do, and make some money to support your hobby! I would go into it with a firm attitude of only doing 1 day now if that's what you decide on. Then it will make it easier to say no when asked to do more things. Maybe talk to your husband and see how he would feel if you taught a class once in a while too. I've learned that having "me" time for my interests makes me a better wife and mom. It will be good for you to have a day just for you! You go girl!

Handmade purses and bath delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  12:52:48 PM  Show Profile
Clare,
Do it! I work three days a week as a nurse and one day a week at a local quilt shop. It's so worth it. Occasionally it turns into aother day a week, but not that often and it's some of the best time of my week. There is just something about being surrounded by all that beautiful fabric that just feels good. Yes, you will want to quilt and sew more but what's arong with that? Actually I work there to support 'my habit' so to speak ...lol.

I agree with what Bramble said about women feeling guilty too much of the time when we take time for ourselves. By spending time doing things that we love we enrich our lives which makes us better wives and mothers. Even if that means just closing your bedroom door and reading for 15-20 minutes a day, I think it's so important to spend time on yourself.

If you really want to have some fun, hook up with a quilt guild or just some friends and go on a retreat. You'll never regret it. Quilters ARE the nicest people.

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  04:40:55 AM  Show Profile
Lucky for me I still have a few days before deciding a firm yes or no. I have been talking with my husband.

The truth is that I really want a day to do what I want without any home responsibilities. It is suppose to happen, but I always seem to get left behind as my husband just "has" to do something. I think underneath that if I went out to "work" then I would be guarenteed a day to myself.

I like the idea of just teaching a class or two each quarter, and that was what we were coming to yesterday. I could have taught the rag quilt class on Sat and I basically did because the owner was helping customers as well as trying to check on us in the back. I did not mind though as I enjoy sewing and passing along tips. The woman who was suppose to teach it backed out.

The owner told me all but one teacher have backed out of the classes. The samples are already completed. I am going to offer to teach one or two of the classes for this quarter and design one or two for next quarter. I like the apron idea, and aprons are back in style. I want to do a quick nine patch lap quilt to help some of these new quilters learn strip piecing.

The owner is feeling overwhelmed and has the store up for sale. If it were a little closer and the kids were older, I could see investing in it.

Well, I appreciate all the comments and advice. I know what Berries (Gloria) says is true. Life will go so fast and one day my kids will be gone. Then, I can sew and quilt all day.

Yes, I am in a Monday night quilt guild. Most of the ladies are retired and older than me. It's a different atmosphere than when I took the class. They don't chit chat too much. We pretty much just sew and laugh, keeping the conversation light. It's fine and I always know I will be uplifted, but there is not the deep sharing I was hoping for. I have been going for 5 years now. We do mostly donation quilts, trying new patterns and techniques out to help us in our own work. Tonight we are putting together our Christmas exchange blocks into a top for one of the older quilters (80s) who was diagnosed with advanced liver cancer last week. They are very good hearted ladies, supportive when you really need them. I was just looking for more closer to my age (38).

Thank you very much. I enjoyed reading your advice and have come to terms with what to do. The possibilities are so enticing. You know the phrase "You can have it all....just not all at the same time." That's about what I feel for me right now. The store can wait until I am much older and the kids are gone. Life is too short to not enjoy them while they are home.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Quilt store job opportunity-ADVICE Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page