Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  12:03:33 AM  Show Profile
I finished my quilt top for the autumn quilt I have been working on here and there...the picture is on my blog (link below)
It was not a complicated one..but I love the colors..hopefully I will get it quilted and be able to have it out in the living room for use this autumn at least for the last half!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  12:15:48 AM  Show Profile
Jenny that is so beautiful, I love the rich, warm colors. You did a great job and it will look so nice in your living room!
So let me see...that's the second quilt you've shown us pics of in the past month, you have four active children, you milk a cow twice a day, you spin, you cook...you have got to tell us your secret. You just boggle my mind!!!
In my next life, I want to be an Aunt Jenny...
Di

Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  04:50:35 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Beautiful quilt! The colors are gorgeous!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  06:18:12 AM  Show Profile
OH my gosh Jenny that is just beautiful, I want it!! Why don't we sign up for that fall exchange, I will be your partner, you send me the quilt and I will send you an embroidered napkin, fair exchange, right?
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  06:24:55 AM  Show Profile
Diane..my secret is insomnia. Thanks for the nice comments gals.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Norma
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Norma
Texarkana AR
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  09:09:40 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Norma's MSN Messenger address
Aunt Jenny, that's an absolutely beautiful quilt! That's MY goal, to actually FINISH something! I'm quite the fabric and book buyer, but it hasn't translated into an actual project yet! LOL Yes, I think you should splurge on great batting and a beautiful backing for this project! You said you were hand quilting it together - did you hand- or machine-piece it? Anyhoo - it looks wonderful!

Norma
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  3:26:25 PM  Show Profile
Jenny - your autumn quilt is beautiful. I think your secret is you never waste a moment of your life. How rare is that?

Peace
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  3:46:06 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Jeannie!!
Norma...I machine peiced it. I got a beautiful backing and binding fabric today. And found a few fat quarters of fabric I NEEDED and a yard of cute chicken wire on red print fabric..too cute to leave at the store!! Just need to get the batting (I left and came home before I remembered that I needed it!!! JEESH!! At least I can get that here nearby. I am excited to finish it now. I arranged to borrow a friend's quilt frame so I will be getting right on it I think!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2006 :  05:17:40 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, what a gorgeous quilt. I always marvel at your work--you must not waste a minute. However, I am in deep sympathy with your insomnia--the beast I keep at bay. Unlike you, I feel psychotic if I go without sleep! You always have such an upbeat attitude. Enjoy your next trip to the quilt store for batting and shopping. They certainly are dangerous places, aren't they?
XO,
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2006 :  08:51:31 AM  Show Profile
I got beautiful backing yesterday..a deep gold with black faint viney floraly print..really neat and old fashioned looking. It was a fredricksburg print by Anover..perfect! And for binding I got a really dark brown print with teeny tiny stars. I had to get some fat quarters of course and some wool scraps too..and got so ferhoodled with all that fabric and just being in my favorite quilt shop up north (Corn Wagon Quilt Company in Springville..it is truly wonderful!!) that I forgot to buy the batting!!! So...off to the closest shop..15 miles south..today with the kids (who have today and tomorrow off school for UEA..a teacher convention thing that makes for a state wide 4 day weekend for the schools) to get that batting. I have a quilting frame to borrow all located. Now to get set up and get it quilted. I LOVE the hand quilting part..
Yes, Ann..fabric stores are my weakness...and book stores too!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2006 :  10:04:59 AM  Show Profile
Jenny- It's beautiful and as always, you are one busy bee! Now I know why you don't sleep! Lucky you to have a quilt shop "birthday spree",that SIL is a keeper! Isn't it great to be overwhelmed by the fabric choices? I know I can only get to my favorite shop a few times a year, but I go armed with a list so I don't get too distracted. Of course "something" unplanned ALWAYS ends up following me home...strange how that happens![

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Oct 12 2006 10:07:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2006 :  10:54:26 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Jenny - it's just lovely - you are so talented at picking fabrics that work beautifully together. I am now so very motivated to use my insomnia for some creative purpose instead of sitting on the sofa sometimes watching the fire...and wishing I could go to sleep!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2006 :  1:11:34 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, you did a lovely job of coordinating your fabrics. Are the center ones appliqued or panels that are printed? I have a Christmas panel that I have wondered how to cut and place with blocks for a quilt top. It is in my box waiting for me.

Congratulations on finishing the top and being ready to quilt it. Do you use a large frame or baste it out and use a smaller hoop? I have plans to get a frame for myself for Christmas since my son moved into his own room and so did his dresser. I would like one that exposes only about 12 inches at a time and maybe even flattens up for not knocking it over. Any suggestions.

Clare

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2006 :  2:15:01 PM  Show Profile
The center section is from a printed panel and then I got coordinated fabrics to do all the borders and all.
I end up laying it out on the floor to baste (I use quilter's safty pins usually) and then quilt on a large frame that exposes about a 2 ft wide strip at a time and the rest rolls up. I am borrowing it from a friend..I have a new one for me on the top of my wish list for sure.
They have a wonderful on in the Lehman's catalog..( www.lehmans.com ) that I really want!!
I have never liked doing it with a hoop..It just shifts too much for me..probably just me though. I know some people do it that way all the time.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2006 :  2:47:02 PM  Show Profile
Jenny that is beautiful!!! Do you know the maker of the printed panel? I just love it!!

~~Bridge's Boutique~~

Edited by - Bridge on Oct 12 2006 2:54:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2006 :  5:16:53 PM  Show Profile
I don't. But I will find out for ya. Most of the fabrics at the shop I got it at are Moda..so I would guess that..but I will check.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2006 :  3:39:44 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, I go for Moda fabrics nearly every time. Both for the looks and the fabric quality. I was wondering about your using a frame instead of a hoop. I've never used a frame! The only folks I've asked have always said it's really hard since you have to be able to sew in every direction-- and only quilting from top to bottom or from right to left feels normal. So I'm very interested in your love of this narrower quilting frame. Are you able to switch directions easily? Also, I've read that some frames can be used for the basting part of the process. Have you ever done that?

Your backing and binding fabrics sound beautiful! Hope you get your frame soon and can get started. Quilting and hooking this time of year is heaven.

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  09:08:58 AM  Show Profile
It is Moda, Thanks Aunt Jenny!! I found it!!

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  10:13:12 AM  Show Profile
It is Moda, Thanks Aunt Jenny!! I found it!!

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  3:17:17 PM  Show Profile
oh gosh Bridge..sorry I forgot to look it up...jeesh! I am glad you found it.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Autumn quilt Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page