Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Looking for a good hatchery
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Looking for a good hatchery Next Topic  

rubyleesmom
Zapped Profile

190 Posts

190 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2013 :  4:47:10 PM  Show Profile
With spring on its way, we want to order some new chicks.. does anyone know of a good hatchery? My SIL ordered some from Murray's hatchery and half of them died within 3 days so Im thinking we might try someplace else.

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2013 :  5:48:09 PM  Show Profile
I always recommend Murrays, never have had a problem in 40 plus years, if any die, they have always replaced no questions asked, (and when some have died, it has come back to the post office putting them in either a very cold, or hot area), quality is great...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2013 :  6:00:25 PM  Show Profile
I just ordered from mypetchicken.com . This is my 2nd set of chicks from them, and I have been very happy. A friend of mine got hers from them last year and had a very good experience as well, so personally I would highly recommend them.
Good luck to you! Love new baby chicks!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds that you plant.
~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

rubyleesmom
Zapped Profile

190 Posts

190 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2013 :  6:10:27 PM  Show Profile
We actually have an incubator and have hatched our own before but we always seem to end up wih several roosters in the bunch. We figured we would try something a little different this year. I do love hearing their little peeps... baby chicks are so darn cute!
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2013 :  7:02:13 PM  Show Profile
Chicks that I have ordered from murray mcmurray are nice birds but I have had some trouble with them drinking too much water instead of eating their food and getting waterlogged and dying. They get all fat and squishy with water and then die. The black ones seem to do it more. It's weird. I have never had this problem with any we have hatched out here. And I didn't used to have this problem with ordered chicks either. So when I get ordered chicks I dont leave the water in with them and I give them chick starter sprinkled with just a little top dressing of boiled egg crumbled up and a little sprinkling of sugar. It gets them more interested in eating and teaches them to eat and not just drink. Then after they are eating for a few minutes or are done eating I put the water in long enough for the last one that drinks to get 7 dips in the water then I take it out. Once I started doing this they have been doing fine. After a few weeks they can be left with the water in there. The instructions always say to give them a drink of water as soon as one gets them and add the viamins but that is a big mistake in my book. They just learn to drink only. I never put anything in their water that will cause it to taste sweet.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2013 :  04:47:08 AM  Show Profile
My Pet Chicken is a drop shipper for Meyers cheap chicks. You'll pay a lot less from Meyers. I ordered 25 EEs, faverolles, and they all lived. The faverolles have HORRIBLE coloring, but they have since ended their faverolles program.
I will never order from a hatchery again, because they were SO hungry when they got here. Also, I have since learned about the differences in type. I have some Cochin bantams from Ideal, and they have terrible type. As in, are you sure you're not a wyandotte bad.
We have a local chicken man, maybe you could look into buying locally. Then you can pick the healthiest chicks.

“It always looks darkest just before it gets totally black.”-Charlie Brown
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2013 :  12:27:53 PM  Show Profile
We ordered from Welp in IA last year and every single bird did great!
http://www.welphatchery.com/

~April

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirlonPark
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Kelda
Des Moines Iowa
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2013 :  12:50:28 AM  Show Profile
Had great luck with mypetchicken...none lost of seven two years ago. This year ordering eggs from them.

God Bless & Happy Trails!
Kelda
Farmgirl on Park
Go to Top of Page

rubyleesmom
Zapped Profile

190 Posts

190 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2013 :  04:16:15 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry... I owe an apology to everyone. I was wrong about which hatchery she used. I thought it was Murrays but it was Meyers... I am going to take a look at Murrays website today!
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2013 :  10:18:23 AM  Show Profile
Ideal Hatchery, I have used them for 5 years now and no complaints. I used McMurry before and the only reason I changed is because I found out that Ideal is in Cameron, Texas and I try to buy as close to home as possible for everything. You know trying to support the local economy.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2013 :  10:28:27 AM  Show Profile
There are a LOT of really good poultry breeders in Florida... Have you considered looking locally for chicks? Saves on stress for the little ones and shipping costs for you :)

Are you looking for a specific breed? I can look around for you :)

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising up a small ranch using natural resources.
www.mydoterra.com/thurman
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2013 :  09:58:30 AM  Show Profile
I too used IDEAL for many shipments.

Tried Cackle Hatchery 2 years ago for kicks and liked how they included a nutrient block in with the biddies.

Good thing about IDEAL is you don't have to have a minimum order liie you do with so many others. My Pet Chicken is the same. You will pay for extra shippping, but I'd rather pay that than for 20 other bodies that aren't needed!
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Looking for a good hatchery Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page