Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Lovely Women Next Topic  

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  1:41:44 PM  Show Profile
Our small town in Eastern New Mexico said the final goodbye to one of our dear matriarchs, who just passed away at the beautiful age of 93. I'd love to share my blog/journal entry with you. Sandy

Lovely http://field-days.com/lovely

The beauty of the high plains is a rugged beauty. Barren landscapes that stretch as far as the eye can see. The rising of the sun, and its majestic setting… we do have incredible sunsets. Wild plums that put on a wonderful show in the springtime. The plants here are tough, just like the people who came to this area and called it home over a century ago.

Beautiful and lovely. Two different things. Lovely things are more genteel, carefully cared for, sweet little things.

To be sure, I can look around and find plenty of natural breath-taking beauty in my surroundings. But if there is anything lovely about this place, it is because of women like Jane Hilliard. Women who chose a sunshiny yellow for their houses. Women who planted rose bushes. Women who organized special clubs and events to make the windswept landscape a pleasant place to live. Women who always had on a bit of pink lipstick, never looked rushed, perfectly coiffed hair, wearing a strand of beads. Women who called us “dear”, sharing with us the fine art of writing notes, hosting delightful parties and receptions.

It has been my privilege to know such women. I treasure their example.

Love writing about "My Field Days"
www.field-days.com

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  7:55:49 PM  Show Profile
Sandy,
Beautiful writing, prompted by your feelings for an amazing lady. Thank you for letting us in on it.

Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2013 :  06:48:48 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Susan.
She was so loved by our community.

I also write a weekly column for our newspaper. This week three of our columnists wrote about Jane. It couldn't be helped! She was an inspiration to us all. She was an elegant and gracious "farm girl".

I give you this wonderful tribute from my good friend and fellow writer, Betty Williamson.

From the Portales News Tribune:
I have known Jane Mauk Hilliard for a few years shy of forever.

From the beginning there was no question in my mind that, of all the people she knew, I was her favorite.

How could it be otherwise? On the treasured occasions our paths crossed, she would clasp both of my hands, dust my cheek with a kiss, and say, Oh, Betty! How lovely to see you, dear!"

Then she would focus her full attention on me, wanting to know about every member of my family and what I was involved with and how things were going in general.

Imagine my dismay when I found out she treated everyone that way.

And she meant it.

I have a notion that the sanctuary at First United Methodist Church in Portales will be packed this afternoon with hundreds of Miss Jane's favorite people.

We’ll be coming together to try to imagine our lives and our community without this gracious, charming, lovely lady at the helm.

I told Jane every time I saw her that I want to be just like her when I grow up, except for the pantyhose and heels.

I still do.

But I shall miss her wonderful example … almost as much as I’ll miss my beloved friend.

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2013 :  7:48:06 PM  Show Profile
Sandy: What a wonderful tribute to your friend; such poignant writing, words that paint a picture. Awesome. I'm sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your friend with us.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1692 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1692 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2013 :  8:54:39 PM  Show Profile
Sandy, You have a talent in writing. The words bring a wonderful picture to the reader. Thank-you so much for sharing.
Hugs,
Laurie

"Smile and be yourself everyday"
Country girl at heart
Laurie

Aprons and More by Laurie is on my FB page. www.facebook.com Aprons and More by Laurie/2487022
www.etsy.com/people/Aprons And Home Decor
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2013 :  8:59:28 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Sandy, for sharing!
I feel the same way about a lady who just turned 91, a wonderful friend with the most incredible sense of humor!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2013 :  05:06:42 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful. What a gift you have and what a gift you lost.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2013 :  05:51:43 AM  Show Profile
Thanks to all of you for the kind words. Jane was a delight to everyone. It was my pleasure and honor to write about her. Over on my website (and thanks to all who have clicked over already), I posted a photo of her and my grandmother at the bottom of the article. Oh! They were special, special women! http://field-days.com/lovely

Blessings to you all...

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Lovely Women Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page