Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Scary moment for Hubby
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Scary moment for Hubby Next Topic  

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2013 :  11:42:39 AM  Show Profile
Tuesday evening, just as I was getting ready to head home from work, my DS calls in a panic. When I could finally get him to quit yelling in the phone he tells me my DH had fallen down in the pantry. He was wedged between the deep freeze and the water softener and couldn't feel his legs. I had DS put DH on the phone to clarify what was going on. Apparently, DH was attempting to get something out of the freezer for dinner and when he leaned over to reach for it, his legs gave out and down he went. He wouldn't let me call anyone to help him and I was an hour away (if I drive the speed limit).

By the time I did get home, he was up and moving again, albeit very slow, like an old man.

This problem is happening more and more due to scar tissue wrapped around his sciatic nerve in combination with his diabetes and Lyme disease. We've been turned down 3 times for disability for him. First time - supposedly not enough evidence. 2nd time - missed a phone call interview - checked all of our phones - no missed calls. 3rd time - said we missed the filing deadline by 1 day. Whatever - we mailed it in plenty of time. So frustrated....

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2013 :  7:58:04 PM  Show Profile
Lora: Getting a disability is not easy, even if you NEED one. Keep trying. There are lawyers who specialize in that. I really feel for him. I have diabetes, arthritis and fibromyalgia. I finally got one. Good luck and God bless you both.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  06:09:52 AM  Show Profile
Lora, Yikes! How scary for you both. Hope you can get the help you need. Red tape is so frustrating.

Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Katlady93
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

Charlotte
Denmark SC
USA
361 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  10:13:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Katlady93 a Yahoo! Message
Lora
don't give up, i always take the attitude that "They" think i am going to give up instead of fighting it through. but i laugh and get really, really stubborn. i turn it into a game, and that helps me get through it. and always remember, if it gets to bad, you don't have to be nice, they do; because if they aren't, you can take it on up the food chain. a friend one time kept on until he had a VP's phone #. extreme case but he got what he was after.
Good luck to you.

Some dreams are worth the risk it takes to make them real.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footsteps on the moon.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  4:27:12 PM  Show Profile
Lora, glad to hear your hubby is okay. Don't give up. Good luck.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

BarnHeart
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Autumn
New Albany IN
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2013 :  05:02:46 AM  Show Profile
How scary!!! When I was younger, my dad applied for disability (injury at work left him unable to use his arms). He got turned down 4 times. He finally got a lawyer and it got approved. It was worth the cost of the lawyer to not have to go through the frustration of getting denied time after time. Good luck!

I love wool! Visit my website at www.heartfeltwool.com to see my creations!
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2013 :  11:53:17 AM  Show Profile
Very scary. Almost the exact same thing happened to my dad a few years back. His legs gave out and he fell down the basement stairs and broke his leg. Don't give up on applying for disability. It can be a grueling process. Good luck and hope the hubs is feeling better!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

shawneefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2013 :  3:03:25 PM  Show Profile
Lora, that sounds so frightening!Hope hubby is ok. Please talk to a lawyer. This seems to be the only way to get a disability claim approved. I tried 2 times by myself, and got denied. I have dialated cardiomyapathy. And no energy from it. I was at our cousins house visiting 2 wks ago in Pa. and on tv (satellite) was advertised an 800 # for disability help. Here it is 800-921-1003. I live in Missouri, and I am going to try calling this, too.Hope they can help. Sounds like you need this badly. Good luck!

I'll tell you the truth, if a man keeps my word, he will never see death." John 8:51
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2013 :  6:02:34 PM  Show Profile
Lora, just keep after them to get his disability. They keep giving you the run around hoping you will give up. Keep trying and trying
wear them down and they'll get tired of it when they know you wont give up. And hardly anyone ever gets it the first time. Keep you
in my prayers.
Hugs marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!

Silly Boys Trucks Are For Girls
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2013 :  6:04:22 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Charlotte! Hugs Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!

Silly Boys Trucks Are For Girls
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  7:18:33 PM  Show Profile
in order for me to win my disability i had to go through all the denials. then i hired a lawyer. i think without the lawyer i would not have won. they just expect you to have one. now. hugs i kept a diary of my physical and mental state the whole time. it always seems to take 2 years. if yu win in the end they have to give you all the back months from your first call for an appointment. my attorney worked on a win get paid basis. hope this helps. its been 25 years

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2013 :  7:39:28 PM  Show Profile
So sorry to hear your hubby has issues. I too have Lyme disease. What a wicked disease. Has he had his vitamins and minerals checked? I can't remember, but one of the vitamins I believe is given to people that have falling issues. I can't remember if it was magnesium or ????? can't remember. Worth checking out though. Hope he gets disability soon.
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2013 :  12:34:37 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, girls. We are working on the disability thing again and hope to get him into see a doctor pretty soon. Our Chiropractor has done everything he can.

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Scary moment for Hubby Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page