True Blue Farmgirl

208 Posts

Breanna
Parker Colorado
USA
208 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2013 :  1:15:47 PM  Show Profile
Any farmgirl riders out there?
I've been teaching horse lessons since I was 13 (I'm 19 now) and I've gradually made my business more professional, and gotten better horses. I'm having trouble right now with my horse, Duke - he's a Quarter Horse, super sweet, amazing at Western Pleasure showing, but...not so great with kids. He's been leaping forward into a wild canter, tossing his head, and kicking out his heels with some of my students. (Something he has NEVER tried with me) I ride him, but he behaves beautifully. How can I fix this? My students are getting scared, and fear just adds to the tension. Its like he has no respect for him. How do I establish respect in a safe way?
Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Farmgirl Bre

http://breanna-lifespoem.blogspot.com/

"By day the Lord directs His love, at night His song is with me- a prayer to the God of my life." Ps. 42:8

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2013 :  3:04:43 PM  Show Profile
sounds like he is playing on beginners fears, and the more afraid they are, the more antics he is going to pull, making him not suitable for anyone less that an advanced rider...I had a quarter mare who was a dream for me, but anyone else she became the devil, so I was the only one who ever rode her, and on occasian she even tested me, and I raise her from a weanling...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2013 :  7:08:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi Bre
I ran a lesson program for years, and am a CHA certified riding instructor; so I know exactly what you're talking about. First of all, until you are 100% sure that Duke is not going to put anyone's safety at risk, I would stop using him for your classes. It is not worth the risk. If your students are afraid to ride him, it's time for you to think about taking him out of your school horse rotation until you can figure out what's setting him off. Your students need to be able to put their confidence in you, too, and know that you are not going to put them in danger on a horse that is unpredictable and "scary". (Even if he is a great ride for you.)
School horses have a tendency to get bored, get burned out, and just plain tired. I tried not to use any one of my horses more than four days per week for about two hour classes per day.Any more than that and the horses became sullen and difficult. Make sure he is getting adequate rest and turnout. That keeps horses happy.
I also tried to get my school horses out of the ring and on a trail at least once per week; for the same reasons. If I couldn't take students on a trail, I'd do a fun based class with games, etc. to keep things interesting for both horse and rider.
Duke respects you more as a rider because you have more riding skills than your students, and he is confident in your leadership. Maybe it's best to mount your students on more laid back horses until they develop their abilities more and can graduate up to riding Duke.
If you have access to a round pen and know how to utilize it with Natural Horsemanship techniques, I suggest that you give that a try, as well. Work Duke on the ground to establish boundaries; then move to working under saddle, focusing on being slow, calm, and above all, quick to respond to your ques. Then make sure you are instructing your students to give Duke the *exact* ques you use when you ride him. If your students are tentative about their ques, and you are usually firm and confident, then focus on teaching your students to convey their riding aids with confidence and firmness. (While being gentle, of course!)
I found, throughout my years of instructing, that it was not enough to just teach my student the *mechanics* of a riding aid (i.e.: "Place your inside leg behind the girth and ask him to move his hindquarters over"), without also impressing on them the importance of *applying* the aid with the required measure of firmness, confidence, and determination (i.e.: "Place your inside leg behind the girth and push his hindquarters over - don't suggest. Use more pressure, and use MORE pressure, until he moves over. He knows how to do this.") And always make sure you verbally acknowledge and praise your student's attempts, this builds confidence. And confident riding is what Duke needs, from the sounds.
Keep working at it and he'll improve. :) Good luck in your lesson program! Instructing is a lot of fun. I loved it when I was teaching and training full time; I wish I could go back to it.

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Breanna
True Blue Farmgirl

208 Posts

Breanna
Parker Colorado
USA
208 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2013 :  9:01:15 PM  Show Profile
Thanks girls for you answers! Hosanna, I found your information quite helpful. I've been studying to become a PATH International Certified Therapy Instructor, and I one of my books is the composite horsemanship manual from CHA, which I'm really impressed with! In the future I'd love to become certified with them.
Anyway, back to the horse issue. Well, let me share with you a few more details and maybe you can help me out a little more...so, you are right. Duke DOES do better with my more advanced riders, for the most part. But he's also quite gentle and quiet with my beginners. Its with one student in particular, who is an excellent rider, that he gets angry. The past few lessons, she has started crying and telling me she's scared, just when the horse tosses his head. I've been working with her on pushing past her fear, and asserting confidence (like you wrote about) all the time, no matter how she's feeling. Until now, riding has been easy for her, and now that she's faced with a challenge - well, she just wants to give up. Today at her lesson, it started out really well, and we began working on her canter, but he got out of control once, and from then on it was downhill. I made her finish to the very end, even though she asked me if she could get off, and she accomplished a controlled trot without him jumping forward after a LOT of talking about confidence. Once she decides to put her all into it, Duke responds positively. Right now Duke is the only horse I have, and I really don't want to put her on another anyways, because I feel that this is more of an issue with HER mind and attitude than with Duke in particular. What do you think?
I'm pretty sure Duke isn't burned up, cause I only teach five and a half hours a week, spread out over 4 days. But, your right, I need to get him out on the trail more and work with him myself. I've noticed that when I've schooled him, even just for one day, he's better for that week. And we haven't done a trail ride in months. I've just felt that when I ride him I should school him, since I don't get to ride him much, but, like your saying, rest can be just as important as work.
At first when I started teaching lessons on him, he was wonderful, and I felt like I could trust him with anyone. I've seen a huge attitude reversal with him over the past few months, and its not only frustrating, its sad too. It started out with a head toss here and there, and now its escalated to jumping forward, almost like he's spooking, and kicking his heels out behind, like a mini buck. What is a fairly safe way to reprimand this after it happens? Do you have any more thoughts? I'd love to hear them!
Thanks! I really enjoy teaching - its great to see the progress in my students. I just want to learn so much more! Its like I can't get information fast enough! :)
Just some fun questions- did you teach English or Western? Have you ever done jumping? I teach Western, but I'm taking English lessons myself, and I hope to be able to teach that as well someday. And one of my dreams is to jump - something I haven't worked up to yet, but its definitely a goal. What breeds of horses did you use? Do you still ride?
Thanks again Hosanna :)

Farmgirl Bre

"By day the Lord directs His love, at night His song is with me- a prayer to the God of my life." Ps. 42:8
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2013 :  04:28:02 AM  Show Profile
Hosanna is quite right. Maybe in your lessons, get your students doing basic ground work and teaching them some natural horsemanship skills such as getting Duke to bend and flex his neck and poll from the ground not just from the saddle. In another lesson have your students do an obstacle course. Maybe schedule them ad a "graduation ceremony " between different riding levels. Don't keep all the lessons in a ring get them on a trail, pet friendly park etcetera. All these little things would give Duke and your students something other to think about. As for the head tossing, is the students too heavy handed? Is Duke experiencing pain especially if the students are doing their own tacking up? Double check the tack before they ride. The girth maybe too tight causing the kicking and rearing. Just some thoughts. Also have Duke vet checked for back pain lameness and bad teeth. Just because he doesn't show signs to you doesn't mean he's not painful.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2013 :  04:47:01 AM  Show Profile
Also if physical problems check out negative then start looking at the students. Not all students are suitable for 1 or 2 horses. Some students are not suited for riding period. They do it because their friends are or parents want an Olympian. If the one student you mentioned is not progressing and not willing to work through her fear then you need to politely and honesty talk with her and her parents that if she doesn't start progressing and stop the foolishness she'll have to find another instructor. Also not all instructors can teach all students. It's called personality. I don't know how you go about getting your students. Maybe have a trial contract with the student /parent that if these lessons don't work out that you can terminate the for ant reason in those 30 days. That way your time isn't being wasted.

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2013 :  05:06:58 AM  Show Profile
Last thing ...when you get new students interview student and parent before taking them on. While touring your facility, ask the student why does he /she want lessons. If the parents pipe up and say we want her to or she says MT friends are then don't accept the student. People who want something want it because they want fullfillment. They will strive to get what they want and that is enough to make them a good student who will work hard even when the going gets tough.

Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2013 :  10:34:48 AM  Show Profile
I've been teaching folks to ride all my life and also worked for the girl scouts managing the horse program and now own a small trail riding and riding lesson and etc... business as well as breed and raise race horses. About 3/4 of my herd are barrel horses. High powered race bred. I would not put children or beginners on them in a million years. They are too much horse for them. I have 17 horses and I only put beginners or children on 2 of them. I specialize in helping timid riders and people who have had bad experiences with horses. That sounds like what you have here. She got a bad experience on a horse and now has a fear issue. It can happen to anyone. Even an experienced rider has to recover from a bad experience. A run away horse is one of the scariest scenerios for any rider but especially a young one. It is not foolishness on her part or her parent's part that she is not progressing. Anybody that thinks that has probably never had a really scary experience or been unloaded by a horse. They are very powerful animals and anyone that doesn't have a healthy amount of caution is just dumb or young. Your student needs to be told that it is normal for her to feel this way and that she will get better. And then start her on a DIFFERENT horse. The only people that I have ever come across that aren't suitable for riding are people that think they know it all and don't want to listen or don't have any respect and kindness towards the horse. And this child isn't one of them obviously. It would be sad if she gives up on it because of this. The best place for young girls these days is on a horse because it keeps them out of trouble and makes them strong to where they dont need a boy to tell them what they are about when they can control and excell at riding a 1000 pond animal. I know you didn't mean to but you created the problem and if I were you I would give her a few free lessons of just coming over and being around the horses till she is comfortable then give her a couple free lessons on a safe horse. Then continue on that horse and go back to charging for the lessons. Maybe you can find a horse to lease for lessons if you don't have one. The horse you had her on is not safe for children. Probably never will be. Good lesson horses are hard to come by and are worth their weight in gold. The horse you had her on is a fabulous horse for you and would probably be a good horse for you to ride beside her on if you take her out on the trail later. Children should ride in a round pen or an arena on a safe horse until they can work the horse at a trot then go out on the trail. But not on a horse that will go out of control in any circumstance. Good luck.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

Breanna
True Blue Farmgirl

208 Posts

Breanna
Parker Colorado
USA
208 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2013 :  07:13:07 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies. I don't agree with everything your saying, but some of it is helpful and I'm working with my horse and he's doing better. Again, thanks for your input! I've also asked my trainer for some help and she's had some of the same issues so she's helping me with through this. With lots of hard work and prayer, I think my duke is going to return to normal. After all, he needs to get a thick skin. He's not made of glass, and neither are my students. Not saying that safety should be compromised, but any horse people ride is a risk, simply because its a horse. I don't believe any horse is spook proof- because they are still a flight animal. But I do believe that the confidence of the rider will change the horses attitude. So with this particular student, my focus is that of building confidence and conquering fears. Not everyone is going to ride the same, I understand that, and not every rider is going to ride because they want to compete or get to the top, but simply because its something they like to do. And that's ok. But they still needed to be dedicated enough to push through hardships- if I hadn't been, I would have quit long ago with my first horse. But my trainer made me keep going, and today I couldn't be more grateful for that.

Farmgirl Bre

Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2013 :  08:45:50 AM  Show Profile
It sounds like you have a clear focus of the situation. You know your student and your horse better than anyone. I am just so happy to hear that you are not giving up on your student. And that you understand that even though not everyone can or even wants to compete. I get so many clients that have been pushed to compete as a child and just give up and then they come to me when they are adults and blossom. They never lost a love of horses in their heart but were so intimidated or traumatized that they lost all confidence in themselves. I see it in all the arts actually. I consider riding an art. A healing art. I am so happy to see you as a young person keeping that focus and not becoming like so many other "trainers or instructors" that when they can't make a champion they blame it on the student and crush their budding love for riding. I always strive to #1 keep it fun. When I worked at the girl scout camp I learned that there were several children that had come in the years before and about all they got to do was muck and pet the horses. Or they would put them on broncy horses and end up with concussions and broken jaws etc...They also would not give us new helmets for the children. The parents were paying $400 a week for this. They sent us 25 horses to use and only 10 were suitable for the children. About 5 us wranglers could use and the rest were either unbroke or rank or way too old and lame. We would do a short safety ground lesson each day and then the kids would muck for 20 minutes and then they got to ride for 45 minutes or longer. The first day in the arena then the other days out on the trail. It was so fun, but I was appalled at the things that had gone on before. I am sure you will instill your love for horses and riding in this little girl. I agree there are no spook proof horses and they can all buck. The horses I use for lessons and trail rides are very soft in the mouth and well broke. They are also smooth and responsive and will go if asked. Too many times people equate a slow moving lazy deadhead horse with being gentle and well broke and safe. Although a horse like that is usually safe, they aren't much fun and don't teach the student much about riding because they have to plow them around and wear theirselves out kicking and kicking...ugh. So maybe Duke will fit the bill because he is obviously not like that. Blessings to you Dear for sharing your passion and knowledge. As I see it every child that I teach properly and help to grow their love for horses is a future good home for a horse maybe several horses.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com

Edited by - crittergranny on Feb 17 2013 08:50:35 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Horse Lesson troubles Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page