Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Cold Mountain & the Ultimate Farmgirl
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Cold Mountain & the Ultimate Farmgirl Next Topic  

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2006 :  08:23:31 AM  Show Profile
Last night I watched Cold Mountain for the second time ever and it occurred to me that the character Ruby is the ultimate farmgirl. I think it hit me when she first comes to the farm to help Ada Monroe and they are talking and she asks about Ada's rake. Ada tells her about the "Devil" rooster. Ruby can't stand mean roosters, walks right up to it and breaks it's neck and says "Let's put him in a pot". I just love that. So honest and to the point. I love the farm setting in this movie as well.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2006 :  11:08:22 AM  Show Profile
I never have seen the movie yet but read the book and loved that part too. I hope I would be more of a Ruby than an Ada. I am pretty sure I would!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2006 :  2:31:43 PM  Show Profile
Actually Jenny I think all of the girls on this forum would be more of a Ruby then an Ada. Especially when Ruby has a clear idea of how to lay out the garden for winter, when to milk those cows and how to have a working farm. Her character is so to the point and practical.

Anne

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2006 :  3:22:46 PM  Show Profile
OHHH Anne, I love that book and most of the movie (I fast-forward during some of the rough scenes). Ruby just moves me so much with her honesty and warm heart and all that know-how! But by the end, even Ada has grown into such a fine woman. It is a great farmgirl story. That scene with Ada trying to write down Ruby's list: ("If you're gonna carry a book, make it one you can WRITE in!!!") is marvelous.

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  6:30:14 PM  Show Profile
I did not read the book, but bought the DVD. I love anything that is about the Civil War time. I was impressed how far Ada came though, when she had to to survive.
I think my favorite part of the movie is when Ruby is talking about her dad and she says, "That man is so full of manure, you could plant him and grow another one just like him." I laugh every time I watch that scene.

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  3:28:13 PM  Show Profile
I've seen Cold Mountain twice and agree that Ruby is the ultimate farm girl. She wasn't afraid of hard work and just dug in to help Ada get her farm up and running. And she was a true friend to her.

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Cold Mountain & the Ultimate Farmgirl Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page