Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 How Can I Remove Grease From Clothing?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic How Can I Remove Grease From Clothing? Next Topic  

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2013 :  5:09:26 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls -

My son has a terrible habit of forgetting to put his work clothes in the work clothes basket, and last week, I didn't catch the workshirt he threw in with the regular clothes. Long story short, I now have oily stains on one of my cotton blend dresses. I did wash the dress twice, pretreating with an all-natural cleaner that usually works, but these stains just aren't coming out. Do you have any suggestions? This is a fairly new dress, I'd like to salvage it, if possible!

Thanks so much for any help!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2013 :  5:14:47 PM  Show Profile
Have you tried treating the stains with Dawn dish detergent?

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2013 :  5:21:40 PM  Show Profile
I have not, Stephanie. I don't have any on hand, but if you think it'll work, I'll go buy some in the morning! Thank you! - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2013 :  5:24:44 PM  Show Profile
Equal parts Dawn, ammonia, & water in a spray bottle

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4178 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4178 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2013 :  04:28:31 AM  Show Profile
maybe try a hand cleaner, for grease? sometimes that works.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2013 :  10:18:51 AM  Show Profile
Try placing brown paper on each side of the grease mark and ironing on as hot a iron as you can - this has worked for me but I think it depends on the type of grease and whether it has already been washed - but it might be worth a try

Dance like nobody's watching!
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  6:01:59 PM  Show Profile
Wonderful stuff. Even got an old grease stain out of a favorite sweater that had been washed.

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2013 :  04:32:19 AM  Show Profile
Maybe some spray and wash spray...that works on my husbands and my clothes...let it sit a few minutes before throwing in the washing machine. Or a dab of Tide...it does cut all grease...my son's hands will be horrible after working in the barns and on the tractors...and it works every time. I just don't know how safe it is for clothes. Wish I had a miracle to tell you...but this is all I have. Erica:)

Farm Girl #2731
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2013 :  09:11:45 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, girls! Actually the more I thought about this post, the more I am thinking I had posted about this before, and maybe have even tried the Dawn, too. (Aging memory - what a thing!) I bought a big bottle of Dawn the other night to keep in the laundry room, and will be giving it a whirl today. My foster daughter said she has tried using Dawn a few times on nasty grease stains and has had much success with it, too. I can't wait to see how it works on my dress! :) Again - thank you so much! I'll let you know how it goes!

Erica - thank you, too! You know, I usually keep a spray bottle of Seventh Generation Multi-Purpose cleaning spray on hand and use it for pre-treatment with no problem, either. It just isn't cutting it for these stains, sadly. I used to use Tide years ago, as well as Tide with Bleach, and had no problem using it directly on stains at all. I wish there was a more "green" alternative, but I guess sometimes we just have to "go chemical" to get the job done, huh? :)

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Feb 24 2013 09:12:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2013 :  07:08:16 AM  Show Profile
I too use Dawn soap to remove grease from clothes.

My Life: http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/
Recycle Ideas: http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2013 :  07:51:52 AM  Show Profile
Hi Nini,

I was just reading my comments to you...boy, are you sweet...I completely mixed up the products I was suggesting..lol. "Blond Moment yet again". So, what I meant in the beginning was to use some Dawn dish washing soap or a pre-treater before washing with your normal laundry detergent. And when my son washes his hands, he uses Dawn not Tide. I can't believe I did that....you are so kind...you just agreed with me. I am such a goofball....hope you have found something that works...Hugs, Erica

PS: "Preview Reply" will be my best friend...and no more posting early in the morning before a cup of coffee...hehehe.

Farm Girl #2731
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2013 :  04:24:02 AM  Show Profile
LOL! Erica - I dídn't even catch that! LOL! Oh, well... if you ever saw all the edits I do before I'm happy with my final posts, you'd probably fall over! LOL! No worries!!! I'm right there with ya! LOL! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2013 :  09:24:01 AM  Show Profile
Pinterest says to rub chalk on it and re-wash it. I know that Chlorox 2 works also.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2013 :  12:10:00 PM  Show Profile
I use Watkins Degreaser, but you may not want a big quantity of it for one stain. My husband works in the garage a lot and his clothes are always covered with grease and oil. It works. If you can find a local dealer they may have a sample-size.

http://www.watkinsonline.com/productdetail.cfm?Product=06785&gCatalogLocale=USA

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blogs at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com (farming) http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com (knitting) or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2013 :  3:55:30 PM  Show Profile
If you are in to making soap, I discovered that old-fashioned handmade bar soap from lard used as a pre-treatment on grease has gotten out nearly every grease spot I've tried it on. I have a recipe for the soap if you want to try it!

If your dream doesn't scare you to death......it's not big enough.

The Fearless Farmgirl
www.fearlessfarmgirl.blogspot.com
https://twitter.com/#!/Fearlessfarmgrl
Farmgirl Sister #2106
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2013 :  03:15:00 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, girls!!! I will check with a friend of mine who used to be a Watkins consultant! I never even thought of that, Brenda! Thank you!

Patty - I have never made soap, isn't that sad? I would love to try, though!

I am thrilled and very grateful to report that the Dawn worked like a charm! All I did was pour a little bit directly on the stains and then let it sit over night. The next day, I just washed in cold water on the gentle cycle as I normally would, and let it hang to dry. Stains GONE!!! I was absolutely amazed! So, thank you very much again for the suggestion! I bought a big bottle of this stuff and it's sitting on the shelf in the laundry room waiting for any future greasy problems. Hopefully, having that big bottle at the ready will help me to remember what to do next time! LOL!

And thank you, girls, for these other suggestions. I'll try to remember them by keeping them on hand, too!

FARMGIRLS ROCK!!!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Mar 05 2013 03:17:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  1:44:28 PM  Show Profile
If you think about this: they use Dawn on animals who have suffered the effects of oil spills (the give them baths in a Dawn solution) so it's GOT to do the job on greasy spots in clothes. And it does. I use it for just about everything!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

rschaaf
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Renee
Wooster Ohio
USA
174 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  9:05:47 PM  Show Profile
my mom always uses Lestoil or Dawn. of course theres always stuff like Orange Goop (mechanics use it alot on their hands, but i ma not sure on clothes) i've used lestoil on food stains (grease) like from mayonaise on clothes and it worked even after it was washed and dried. that was a lifesaver on some of my toddlers clothes.

"There is beauty, there is grace, in my peaceful country place!"

See what I'm up to at: http://www.lifeonctfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 08 2013 :  07:31:18 AM  Show Profile
Lestoil! Oh my GOSH what a blast from the past! Renee! My grandmother and mother used that, too! Never even thought of it! My husband uses Goop, too - we just picked up a huge jug of it. I'll have to try that, too! Thank you!

Actually, the Dawn is working beautifully - just a teeny bit on any stain, and the stain was gone! Thanks, girls!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - May 29 2013 :  08:18:04 AM  Show Profile
I found that original Dawn dish soap works wonders on my husbands clothes. Since he is a diesel mechanic he gets really greasy. I leaned over something in our garage not knowing it was full of oil and grease in my brand new pants. I went inside rubbed Dawn into the grease and then threw it in the wash so I could wash the clothes later that night. The grease came right out. Never could tell that happened!!!!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic How Can I Remove Grease From Clothing? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page