Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

talei
penn valley ca
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2013 :  1:44:35 PM  Show Profile
good sunday afternoon!

in less than a week i could be making a decision to relocate from the left coast state of california to the great state of texas...panhandle to be exact. i would love to connect with any/all farmgirl sisters in this area as my deepest concerns involve growing/processing my own food etc. i have a few questions i would love to have answered before i land. this is my DREAM JOB.

leaving friday from northern california...to the ranch, north via amarillo.

thank you and bless you in advance!

talei, potential california transplant with a basket full of farm and food skills

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2013 :  5:45:44 PM  Show Profile
Good luck on the job and the move. I hope you connect with some farmgirls from that area or doing what you are interested in. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2013 :  6:10:44 PM  Show Profile
Congrats!! I believe you will love living in Texas. I'm wwwwaaaayyyy down south by the Gulf of Mexico, so I'm not familiar with the Panhandle. I'll do some investigating.

We have so many different climates in this one state that most gardening and farming books do not apply to us. I rely on my books that are just about the Houston area or the Gulf Coast area. I'm sure there must be books specific to your area, too.

My first suggestion would be to contact your local county extension office when you are ready to start gardening and such. You could even do some research before you get here. The state extension websites you can get tons of info from are: http://agrilife.org/ and http://agrilifeextension.tamu.edu/ From there you can find your specific county and then your specific agent and so forth. Our extension office system is pretty well organized.

I can't wait to hear how you like it here!

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."

Edited by - cajungal on Feb 10 2013 6:12:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  4:21:44 PM  Show Profile
Good luck!!!!! Keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1692 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1692 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  7:29:31 PM  Show Profile
Good luck on your move to Texas. Hope you have fun living in Texas. I live south,close to the coast, Galveston. Alvin is where I live and it's about a 40 minute drive north of the coast. Our temps vary so much. But you could get in touch with the local ag dept. Best of luck and keep us posted.
Laurie

"Smile and be yourself everyday"
Country girl at heart
Laurie

Aprons and More by Laurie is on my FB page. www.facebook.com Aprons and More by Laurie/2487022
www.etsy.com/people/Aprons And Home Decor
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2013 :  1:57:56 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
We moved from Ohio to Texas in 2009. We live on the Texas Coast. Close to Galveston Bay.

There are lots of books in the library about what does and what is best to grow here.

Never been to the pan handle. I know it gets all kind of weather including snow, which we don't get.

You will love Texas.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

www.flossesandcrosses.blogspot.com

www.morganicinstitute.blogspot.com

http://mrsroosterbooks.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2013 :  2:16:50 PM  Show Profile
Marybeth, I just love it when folks keep up their blog. Love the photos.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

SylviaE
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Sylvia
Wichita KS
USA
350 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2013 :  8:54:52 PM  Show Profile
I live as near to you as anyone here so far. I am in north central Texas, sort of,at the bottom east edge of the panhandle. 3.5-4 hours from Amarillo. What questions did you have.

Sylvia E
Farmgirl Sister #2871

http://real1remakes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic panhandle texas Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page