Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Considering ditching screens...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Considering ditching screens... Next Topic  

ProgressiveHomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Rachell
Mars Hill NC
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  9:23:02 PM  Show Profile  Send ProgressiveHomemaker an AOL message
It seems my house is always in uproar over screens...TV, computers, etc. We finally moved out into the country for me to follow my bliss and cultivate my inner farmgirl only to wind up somewhere with limited internet access. Hubby works from home sucking lots of bandwidth and then the 3 tweens/teens fight over the rest. Forget me ever getting any bandwidth or a moment's piece to stream Little House episodes...

I am SERIOUSLY thinking of ditching screens to see how the kids react and if peace fills the space the screens leave or will they just hate me and kill me in my sleep?

Have you done this? If so, I'd like to talk to you.

Life's short. Make today count.

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2013 :  08:34:00 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
My daughter is eight and I limit her screen time. We school at home and I notice yucky behavor when she has had too much screen time. So we have a limit on it including DS, TV, DVDS, etc. We go to the park, for a walk, etc instead.

It is your home, your choice. Are the kids paying for some of the bill for the wifi or bandwiths? Hubby does have the priority for work. You might have to make a schedule when whom ever can use the time and how much. Or if they want to contribute money towards more time/bandwith to help get more.

Or just say no. Pick a week of no screen or a month of no screen. It really makes a difference. You find many things you like to do instead. Yes, the first few days are rough. That is why you should pick a month or more of no screen. Aren't there lots of things around that need done this time of year?? LOL

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

www.flossesandcrosses.blogspot.com

www.morganicinstitute.blogspot.com

http://mrsroosterbooks.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl #1259

Edited by - MrsRooster on Feb 09 2013 08:40:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2013 :  10:07:42 AM  Show Profile
I live off grid. TV is run off a battery bank so it's off generally during the day. That being said, being currently snowbound where I'm currently horsesitting ad I type this, I'm watching dish and you know something ...I don't really miss it. Now my 5 yo son doesn't watch alot of TV.regarding computers limit it to 30 a day. A young child doesn't need to have alot of PC time. It's a toy. How old are they? Get them into crafting (crocheting, painting) something to keep their hands busy and their mind busy. Little man loves his trucks and trains. He loves to help cook. He calls my crocheting sewing and has tried but doesn't have the coordination to do it. Lock the kids PC and other screen games in your room. Make them earn screen time if that's what it takes. Out of sight out of mind.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2013 :  10:48:43 AM  Show Profile
it takes my kids about three days to "detox" be prepared for WW III! But, by the fourth day I have a entirely different kid, that is much better!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2013 :  5:49:33 PM  Show Profile
We turned off the cable back in August 2012. We are a much happier family. The laptop is used for homework only. They do have kindles and can browse and chat with friends. But all devices are shut off at 9pm.

With that said, we have also been feeling like the terns spend too much time in their rooms chatting and texting. So this week we are going to start shutting off the screens and spend more time as a family. Even though we have a ton of snow right now. We will be going outside to play for a bit everyday.

We do allow the screen time in limited doses. But nobody misses the t.v. Limiting screen time and teaching kids about the things going on around them is a good thing. Making them use their imaginations for entertainment is good.

There may be some sqwaking. But remember you are the mom. You know best. PERIOD!

Hubby tells the kids."parenting is a dictatorship not a democracy......." . He is teasing, but we get very few arguements.

Arttie
Go to Top of Page

ProgressiveHomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Rachell
Mars Hill NC
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2013 :  7:01:43 PM  Show Profile  Send ProgressiveHomemaker an AOL message
Thank you for all the input so far. I do hope more folks will chime in with words or wisdom. I am at my wits end. So you know my kids ages are boy/10, boy/15 and girl/19. The boy/10 is best by far. He will log off computer when asked and go do other things. His biggest issue is not logging off unless told. My oldest will log off when told but tends to grumble alot about it. My 15/boy is the WORST! He never logs off of his own accord, refuses to log off when told and often gets into screaming matches with folks about the computer. I am so fed up, I am considering drastic measures. Right now we subscribe to Netflix on demand, which I am considering cancelling. We have a Wii I am considering selling. We 1 computer per person which are password protected so that no one can log into without my permission. But once they are logged in, they are not interested in anything else. TV/phones don't tend to be a problem here. Computer usage does.

http://progressivehomemaker.wordpress.com/ Homemaking is not just for conservatives anymore!

So progressive, I'm old-fashioned!

Go to Top of Page

KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2013 :  6:40:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi there, I am new to this community and am so glad that I found this thread. I don't feel so weird now.
We do not have a TV, we threw the thing out of the house about 4 years ago. That is right, we have lived
4 years without a TV.

My kids and husband were so addicted to them that we got nothing done. My kids became so
dependent on it that they could not function unless the thing was on. Even if they were in
another room, if I turned it off they would come back into the room turn it on then go
back to their room to play. That was the last day the TV was on in our house.

After I took in out of the house it took my boys, ages 4 & 5 at the time about two weeks
to adjust. They had totally forgotten how to play and use their imagination. It was a hard
to weeks, I made play dough, we went out and bought some board games and went to a book
store and got some new books for them to read. After a while they started playing again and
started to spend more time outside and be boys again.

We also noticed that our power bill went down $20 right away, hubby and I lost weight
and the boys are happier and don't miss the thing at all. My husband and I actually talk more
and we play games together as a family.

I can say that living without screens has been the best thing that we did for our family.

Besides the TV being gone, we are not being bombarded with Ad's all the time.
We find that we are more content with what we have because we are not being told that we need
this or that to be happy. It is amazing the power that commercials can have on your psyche and well
being and contentment level.

When people come to our house and notice that we do not have a TV they just cannot believe it.
They then ask, "Well how do you watch this or that?" We say we don't. They have this dazed look
on their face like "that is an option." Most people once they get it they admire us for ditching the
box and more things together as a family. Some of my friends think I am weird and wonder how I
do it. The hardest part is finally getting it out of the house, after that you find that you have
so much to do that you wonder how you even spent so much time in front of it.

Sorry this was so long winded, but hopefully it helped some.

Give me the simple country life.
Go to Top of Page

ProgressiveHomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Rachell
Mars Hill NC
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2013 :  5:49:05 PM  Show Profile  Send ProgressiveHomemaker an AOL message
Noelle, great to hear from you! I LOVE that you ditched the TV. Good for you! Was hubby ok with ditching it, too? How old are your children? How old are you and hubby? Now that you do not watch TV, what do you spend your time on? What do the kids spend their time on? Do you ever think of getting a TV again? Do you guys spend much time on computers?

We have 1 TV in the house. We do not have cable and no one here really watches TV anyway. There are a few programs we do like to watch but those are typically downloaded and watched when we can. TV is not an issue here. We do not own any game consoles like Playstation, Xbox, etc. except the Wii and folks rarely play the Wii. Again, our biggest issue is the computer and mostly so with my 15 year old.

I have not yet come up with a solution. I will let you know if I do.

http://progressivehomemaker.wordpress.com/ Homemaking is not just for conservatives anymore!

Go to Top of Page

KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2013 :  6:26:10 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ProgressiveHomemaker

Noelle, great to hear from you! I LOVE that you ditched the TV. Good for you! Was hubby ok with ditching it, too? How old are your children? How old are you and hubby? Now that you do not watch TV, what do you spend your time on? What do the kids spend their time on? Do you ever think of getting a TV again? Do you guys spend much time on computers?

We have 1 TV in the house. We do not have cable and no one here really watches TV anyway. There are a few programs we do like to watch but those are typically downloaded and watched when we can. TV is not an issue here. We do not own any game consoles like Playstation, Xbox, etc. except the Wii and folks rarely play the Wii. Again, our biggest issue is the computer and mostly so with my 15 year old.

I have not yet come up with a solution. I will let you know if I do.

Hey Again,
I am glad that I was of some help to you.
As far as your questions, Hubby was on board
with the TV being ditched. As for the kids it
took them a while to learn how to play again.

They are 8 & 9 now and have no problems with
not having a TV in our house. In fact that don't
even miss it. They play outside and get dirty
like kids used to do. When inside they play
games, drawl, do crafts, read books, and play with
their toys.

We do have computers, hubby has his for school
and I have mine that I use for home schooling my
boys.

As a family we play games, play outside, and go places
like out to eat, bowling, library, etc and have a great
time. We are a much better family due to the TV being gone.
We find things to do that do not depend on having a TV on to
do.

As for hubby and I. Our marriage is stronger. We actually
talk and do things together. Such as reading books,
games, working outside, and just talking.

As for me, I am a stay at home mom. I found that I have
so much to do with the house work, farm to tend to, boys
to teach, meals to cook, and other chores that I often
wonder how I even had time to watch TV.

We do have XM radio which we listen to and have on in the
house all the time. That is our only splurge that we actually
pay a monthly bill for. We do not have cable that requires
a monthly bill. We do have internet but that is about it.

Oh!, it is so funny when charter (our internet provider)
calls and tries to get us to add TV service to our internet
plan to save money on the monthly bills. After their script
that they read us, we decline their offer. When they as ask why
we do not want to add TV service to save money we tell them
that we do not have a TV. Thus their service is of no use to us.
They are not sure what to do with that. I guess not many people
tell them that they do not own a TV. We get a laugh out of that when
the call us from time to time.

As far as having a TV again. We would not. We have gotten
so used to not having a TV that if we won one or something at a
company party we would probably never watch it. We would not go out and buy one. We like the freedom of not feeling like we have to constantly have it on to be up to date on the world. We have the news paper and computers to check headlines, e-mail, and sport scores.
It really has been freeing and improved our family so much that we could not go back to owning a TV again. Most people think we are strange especially when football season comes around. But we are happy, and the kids are happy. We go out and do things as a family all the time. Not having to pay a cable bill has allowed us a little extra money to spend on fun stuff.

Anyway, I hope I have answered your questions. Sorry again for the length of this post.

Edited by - KuntryKlucker on Mar 25 2013 6:35:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

ProgressiveHomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Rachell
Mars Hill NC
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2013 :  10:29:57 AM  Show Profile  Send ProgressiveHomemaker an AOL message
Noelle,

I like long posts! How long have you been without a TV now? What kinds of things o you have on your farm? I am always curious how people spend the hours in their day. Feel free to share if you can.

As for our computer issue...still not resolved. I am afraid to take away computers altogether because 1. hubby uses his for work, 2. dd/19 uses hers for college, 3. I use mine for home management/homeschool/etc. and 3. I a afraid ds/15 would completely flip out if I did. For now, I am doing my best to dial back the amount of time folks spend in front of the things. I have both boys computers password protected so they can not long in without my permission. This is a helping so far.

Go to Top of Page

KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2013 :  6:26:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi Rachell,

We have been without a TV for 4 years now.
As far as what we do without a TV we do many things.
We as a family play games, work outside, play outside, go places,
read books and enjoy life on the farm.

As far as what we do on the farm. Well spring is planting season. Busy, Busy, Busy.
Summer we take it easy a little bit, enjoy the goodies coming out of the garden
and do some canning and freezing. Fall is serious canning and freezing time, we
are pretty busy then too. As far as winter goes, we fine we have a lot going on then
to with the holidays and such. We live in the south so as early as February we start
working outside again.

My kids do not miss the TV at all. They play outside, read books, play board games,
and other things that kids like. Hubby and I enjoy talking and reading. He playes the piano
a lot, which I love to listen too. But for the most part we are a normal family
without a TV to watch. We have found that since we got rid of it that we enjoy life
more and experience it more since we are not glued to the TV we feel we come away
with more of an appreciation of life and enjoying the outdoors and each others company.

We do have computers, my hubby has his for work and I have mine for homeschool and homemaking
resources. They do not take over our lives by any means.

As far as the cable bill, since we are no longer paying for one it gives us a little more money
in our budget to do fun things like bowling and going out to eat. All in all it is one of
the best things that we did.

I hope that I have helped you some.

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2013 :  11:37:32 AM  Show Profile
Noelle, we turned off satellite service about 3 years ago (shoot...maybe more?) We DO NOT miss it at ALL. In fact, when I now see TV programming when I am out and about, such as friend's homes, doctor's offices, etc, I literally feel immediately anxious and nervous! Really! All the bad news, the mindless commercials, and absolute drivel that programming is throwing at us is just insane.

We, too, live on a small farm. I am a SAHM, and soon to be a homeschooling mom to a 7yr old and 9yr old. Girl, we are just too busy 'farming' and doing things as a family to watch TV! Now, we do subscribe to Netflix, and I love that because we watch movies and documentaries together. My hubbs and I watch shows after the kids are in bed. It's a fun time for us. We also allow the kids to play the Wii, but screen time is enforced. I mean, an hour is PLENTY enough. We don't have much of an issue with screen time, because the kids can easily find something else to do like crafts, books, or playing outside. We also make a point to have family time, so we take them fishing or let them help Dad build something (they love this!) in the shop.

anyway, it is easy to get caught up in staring at a screen; I know, that's why I haven't been on here in so very long. I was just spending too much time online. I make myself read an inspirational farming/gardening book or watch a docu on farming, and it always 'cures' me! I feel so compelled to do something that I jump up and I have to go and plant a plant, lol!

15 is such a hard age...how I remember it well! Best of luck to you all! :0)

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

ProgressiveHomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Rachell
Mars Hill NC
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2013 :  4:48:00 PM  Show Profile  Send ProgressiveHomemaker an AOL message
Amanda,

I thought I was the only one who helped motivate herself by watching "farm" documentaries or reading "farm" books, mags and catalogs! Glad I am not alone!

Just to update you all, although I have not disconnected the internet or ditched the computers or TV (we only own one TV anyway), things are getting better around here. To begin with, my dear son is now going to counselling once a week which is helping and things are sort of taking care of themselves naturally too, as living rural we have crappy internet service and there is apparently nothing we can do about it. I have tried to find better options to no avail so my son finally realizes it is what it is and we just need to make the best of it. So he has agreed to trying an internet usage schedule for the family in which we all get our own time online without others sucking our bandwidth. So the downside is you each get less online time each day, but the benefit is that while you are online, you don't have to share the bandwidth with anyone! ;)

I am just sort of winging it here but here is what I am going with... there are 24 hours in a day minus 8 hours a night to sleep minus another 6 hours of school & chore time and that leaves 10 hours a day divided by 5 members in the family equals 2 hours a day. So I am starting out with 2 hours a day per person AFTER school and chores are done.

Wish me luck while we try this new system. :)

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2013 :  6:53:38 PM  Show Profile
Yeah Rachel, we tried lots of "rural" internet companies and none are that great, no matter what they claim! ARG!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Considering ditching screens... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page