Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Update! A few setbacks, still on course-Piebird!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Update! A few setbacks, still on course-Piebird! Next Topic
Page: of 2

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  09:21:01 AM  Show Profile
Alright girls--this week has been the week of first for me. I don't know if it's the weather (cold, grey) or that I've been sitting in the basement of this law office for the last 13 years and feel like they'll find me here when I die, but I sent out a resume this week for a new job (with an organic delivery service) and I just contacted a local crafty-market group called Folksiders, based out of Rabbit Hash, Kentucky about selling my pies at their monthly markets.

I was received warmly and am now on the search for a local commercial kitchen to rent. The first show is in June, so if I have my ducks in a row and get all my permits (and Kentucky is KILLER on these freakin' food safety permits), Pie Bird will be in business.

Pie babies and by the slice to begin with, and since the show is on Sunday, a few whole pies for folks who want to take them home for Sunday Supper. Of course, custom orders. I have 3 pies that everyone requests when I bake--and then I'll add a seasonal option, to boot.

Wish me luck--I can't tell if the roller coaster in my tummy is excitement or plain old nerves!!!!

Girls, I couldn't sleep all night. A storm woke me, but as soon as my eyes opened with that clap of thunder, I was off and running. I toured the commercial kitchen space yesterday and loved it. It's perfect for what I'll use it for and the gal I'm subletting from is so amazing--she was really encouraging and told me "now's the time. Let your daughter see that there is so much more." And I'm going to do it. I've been approved by the health department--they will do a final walk through of the kitchen for the license but my pitch and what I want to sell have been approved and as soon as I scrape together my app fee ($160) I'm in business. Well, I'll be in business when I get my supplies, my boxes, my ingredients etc...and pay my $60 to the farmers market!

Just wanted to share my news. Now I just need to keep the positive momentum going. What was happy ideas yesterday somehow morphed with the storm and turned into, "You must be crazy..." and a bunch of logical nightmare situations. I can't get bogged down with that!
"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Aug 15 2013 07:52:04 AM

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  09:40:53 AM  Show Profile
The best of luck to you Jonni! How exciting to be on the new adventure. Do you remember the John Travolta movie "Michael"? There was a delightful song that I remember about pie.
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  09:47:08 AM  Show Profile
Sounds wonderful! All of the best luck in the world with this. Will be keeping my fingers and toes crossed. Please keep us posted on how this is going.

hugs
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  09:53:56 AM  Show Profile
It DOES sound wonderful! I'm sure you will be a BIG success, too! As my husband always says, "Gotta have pie - EVERYBODY loves PIE!!!" I can't wait to hear how everything goes. I'll be praying for you! You are such an inspiration! My secret dream is to open a fabulous little muffin shop... They had one back home in Marblehead that was THE hotspot in the morning and on weekends. And I'm known for my muffins around here! LOL! Maybe someday!!! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

shanda
True Blue Farmgirl

522 Posts

Shanda
Broken Bow OK
USA
522 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  09:57:52 AM  Show Profile
Congrats and Good Luck! It's hard to be that brave and take a step out with a new adventure, very proud of you, Farmgirl!

Shanda

Farmgirl #4233
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  10:41:11 AM  Show Profile
How exciting Jonni!! What a thrilling opportunity!

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05), Bennett (7/11/07), Truman (7/28/09) and baby Graeme (11/29/12)
Go to Top of Page

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  10:44:22 AM  Show Profile
That's exciting! Love the name and the pie babies. Keep us posted on how it goes.

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  10:45:23 AM  Show Profile
Oh Jonni how exciting for you. I wish you the very best and I know you will be successful. I just KNOW it!!! You are better than turning to dust in the basement of some old law office. I love the name Pie Birds. I used to collect Pie Birds . I gave some away and still have a few. I should send them to you or do you have plenty. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1425 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1425 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  10:56:58 AM  Show Profile
In Indiana you can use a church kitchen if someone has taken the food prep courses. Would a church kitchen work in Ky?
Ruthie Ann

http://simpleindianagirl.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl sister#4072
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  12:07:16 PM  Show Profile
Oh wow! Such encouragement and I am so blessed to have it!

Susan, I do remember that song from the movie (it is still one of my favorite films, honestly :)) Nini, yes, yes, pie is SO important--dinner in our house isn't complete without a sweet :) But, not a lot of folks round here make em, which I find odd. Cakes seem to be all the rage (and I ain't knockin' cake!). Make your muffin shop happen, Nini--I am sending good energy and much needed courage your way. Believe me, if I stop this happy train I'm on with too many "thoughts" I'll put it away in a box and talk myself out of it quicker than you can say "boo".

Shanda--this is such a huge step for me. Over the years, when people tell me I should cater, or I should open a pie shop I usually just think, "that's very sweet" and go on back to the law firm each Monday morning. Lately I've just been feeling completely uninspired--even morose. But, I did a little catered party for my mom and her friend's 65th birthday that was so well received (I even dressed up in a 1950's inspired outfit and full apron) and all the folks in attendance apparently told the birthday girls that I "made the party" and that has been sitting in the back of my head a little bit as encouragement. That's not the only party I've catered and made everything from entree to dessert and I've always been asked "where did you graduate from culinary school?" or something like that. If I was 22, this would be so easy, to step out of my comfort zone, but I'm 39 and well, if I think about too awful much, I won't go through with it!!!!

Marybeth, you're beyond dear--and yes, I feel so...depressed when I think "is this all there is?" about my days. I am so blessed, don't misunderstand, I love my child and my husband, my little cottage full of dogs, but it's been brewing in me for the last few years that I need a little more. That's so kind of you--I have only one pie bird--a black one--that belonged to my Great Aunt. I've "spied" it in her kitchen since I was a wee girl so when she asked me to clear out "some of that old junk" I asked if I could have it and he's been my inspiration ever since! I've had this name in my head for.....12 or so years. If you would be willing to share some pie birds with me, I would be grateful, and I will happily send you something in return.

Ruthie Ann, there are some church kitchens that (in Kentucky) would be considered commercial, but they have such hard lined rules and regs! Much more than Indiana and Ohio, honestly. The Health Dept. guy (who was, in all honesty, really kind and helpful) told me that some church kitchens qualify, but most don't have the required 3 tub stainless sink and stationary tubs required. I am looking to parish kitchens and that type of thing that feed a homeless population with more industrial type sinks, etc. And, I thought, if I could barter a few pies for their parish meals, that might take a bit of $$$$ of the rent, too.

I just really want to do my pie heritage proud--my Great Grandmother, Theodocia was a piemaker. And I'm the first one in my family line since. I have 3 of her original recipes that I covet (Sugar Cream Pie, Sweet Potato and Chess) and these are the "stars" of the show, along with my own apple.

The shows start up in June and run through December, so there will be some "Sky-Pie" holidays in there--4th of July (cherry, apple, peach), November (Pumpkin, sweet potato, pecan), and Christmas (pumpkin, pecan, cranberry and even a mince)

You have no idea how much it means to have this great feedback. Spurs me onward and upward!!!!

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  1:17:26 PM  Show Profile
Good for you Jonni!!! I think you will do great....
I was going to suggest Pam & Joe's kitchen in their studio, it is a beauty, but they don't have stationary tubs.
Are you quitting your other job, ultimitely??
Good luck!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  4:17:17 PM  Show Profile
Jonni,
So excited for you! Just channell Theodocia and go for it! I understand the regulations. I had to get a commercial feed license and learn the labeling regulations just to make doggy cookies! Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

BarnHeart
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Autumn
New Albany IN
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  5:13:13 PM  Show Profile
How very exciting for you!!! Sending lots of love and good wishes for you. Your pies sound amazing!

I love wool! Visit my website at www.heartfeltwool.com to see my creations!
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  6:29:34 PM  Show Profile
Oh Jonni!!!

I am SO THRILLED for you!!!!!

This is awesome news and I wish you all the best! I love the name too and what a huge blessing to have your Great Grandmother's recipes. You could even have a selection of pies featured "Heritage Pies" using your Great Grandmother's recipes.

You MUST keep us posted on this! In addition to church kitchens, I wonder about a Grange Hall? Most are equipped with a kitchen too, or just a thought: If you know of a restaurant that you could lease after hours (Sunday evenings?), and barter use of their kitchen for pies for their menu.

I recently stumbled upon this tea towel:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/86681639/flour-sack-towelapple-pienow-your-talkin?ref=usr_faveitems

Best of luck Jonni!!!

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  6:30:56 PM  Show Profile
Just remembered something,

Several years ago I sold pies to an outfitting company to help give their cook a break. Possible marketing?

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  8:35:55 PM  Show Profile
The best of luck, Jonni. Nerves is good. I'll be praying for you.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  9:29:03 PM  Show Profile
You are on an amazing adventure! You go girl.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6594 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6594 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2013 :  05:27:08 AM  Show Profile
Jonni~~ I am wishing your the very best of luck in launching your own business! Your idea sounds quite intriguing and with the right marketing strategy, it could pay off for you. Have you ever visited entrepreneur.com? This site is a wealth of information on starting a business and provides article, links and useful information on every aspect of getting launched and becoming successful. Please let us know how your roll out is going so we can all send you prayers and love. This will be an exciting adventure for you and it sounds like now is the time to give it a try.

Best of luck and we are all behind you!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2013 :  09:55:34 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
Year ago there was a lady in the French Quarter Market on Saturday mornings and people were lined up waiting to buy her pies, she would sell out in about a hour every Saturday, she made little pies like a chicken pot pie size, that sold very well. Good luck with you new adventure!! Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2013 :  3:27:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Well, you go Pie Woman! This is super news for sure! Of course you can do it! This has been a week for good 'woman news'. My bff Susan turned in her retirement letter on Friday. She's going to half time phase out and then really out. If there's anything at all David and/or I can do to help you, you just better say so, missy!

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

chickensforme
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Anne
Coopersburg Pa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2013 :  1:18:05 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, Hello!!!

I am Farmgirl 4586 and my name is Anne Magee. I am from Pennsylvania.

I cannot believe I read your post. I have been baking pies for a long time and I also have began baking for an extra income. I bake for a resturant that my daughter works for. I also have been doing pies for the holidays for the past 2 years for them. You mentioned your pie babies, are they the small 4-1/2 ones? I do them also and sell them at a farmers market in my area. It is outside so I do not do any in the cold months or in the real hot months. I call mine " The Little Pie Shoppe" I don't have to get the food safety permits to sell at the farmers market or at the resturant, but I would like to. Who did you contact about getting the permits?

When you get set up send me some pictures of you at the Rabbit Hash.

I wish you all the luck in the world. I also am looking to get out of my job I have been in for 18 years. I need a change.

Anne

" A dog's tail never lies"
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13625 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13625 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2013 :  1:27:09 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
You go girl! Sounds like a wonderful endeavor and I pray for it to all go smoothly!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2013 :  4:30:20 PM  Show Profile
Best of luck to you Jonni! I am sure that you will do very well.
Please keep us posted on your progress.
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds that you plant.
~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2013 :  5:01:31 PM  Show Profile
Good luck, Jonni! I just saw this and am so excited for you and your new adventure! I love pie. There is a couple girls here in Chatt. that make THE best cakes ever. They sell at the Chatt. Market and a few other places. They sell a slice for $4 a piece and make a killing. They own a commercial kithcen in an old mall here and even rent it out by the hour or day to others. A great business. They probably have 50 different types of cakes. I think I've had anout 4 so far. I hope you're able to find a kitchen soon and get this ball rolling soon. Have you tried you local extension service? Or just Google it?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  09:03:37 AM  Show Profile
Hey girls, thank you so much again for the good wishes--your faith in me really helps. I'm prone to backsliding!!!!! I've been sidelined a bit by illness and taking care of my little one, also sick, but I contacted a guy from the local senior center last week about renting out their kitchen after seeing a post on a random internet search that said the kitchen was "for rent", posted in the Autumn of 2012. Apparently, that never took off or they never had any takers because I'm the first one to call and though totally open to the idea, he really didn't have any idea as to "what" the going rate would be, so he asked me to check out some comparible businesses. We don't really have a lot of those around here, so I think I'm going to ask around on some message boards and even contact a gal, south of me in Louisville, who made some confections for Violet's first birthday party to see what she pays--she rented a kitchen from a local parish.

I'm thinking about $10 an hour would be comparible to rates I've seen in larger cities of $18 (NYC and Chicago).
That would put me in about $50 once a month. That's not too bad.

My momentum is still going, but the first piece of the puzzle is the kitchen--after that is in place, I can focus on the more "fun" things like boxes, displays, "branding", etc.

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Feb 22 2013 09:04:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  5:10:31 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, I just read your post - how very exciting for you! Love all your ideas, just keep them rolling and you will be up and running before you know it.
Hope you and your little one are feeling all better now. I am so ready for Spring and healthy, happy people. So much sickness this Winter - ugh!!! The birdies are singing more now, so that means it won't be long - Spring :)
Praying for you as you go toward your goal!
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Update! A few setbacks, still on course-Piebird! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page