Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Update! A few setbacks, still on course-Piebird!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Update! A few setbacks, still on course-Piebird! Next Topic
Page: of 2

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  11:04:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jonni---I am still looking for the disappearing pie birds. I know I have them because i took a picture of some of them.

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  05:54:44 AM  Show Profile
Holy cow, Mary Beth! Those are incredible!!!! You're like me--you put things up for safekeeping and then they're just a little "too safe". I would hate to be a robber coming into my house--they'd never find anything of worth!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  06:37:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Maybe they flew up to New York state to be with Nancy Jo's pie birds! :)

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Nana Shirl
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Shirley
Kit Carson Colorado
USA
352 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2013 :  08:28:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Nana Shirl a Yahoo! Message
AWWW!! AWESOME!! I have heard of these..guess never really saw any...or didn't realize if I did!! love em!

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Sally55
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Sally
Wampum PA
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2013 :  08:41:36 AM  Show Profile
Best of luck to you Jonni! I know how you feel going "out of the comfort zone" but that's what it takes to get things going. You said you wished you had done this when you were in your 20's. I had to chuckle...after the 22 years my husband has been an auctioneer, and we are in our senior years, we just started an online only auction webpage to accompany our live auctions. Seems you have to keep up with the trends and selling Estates, Household, Antiques, etc online is starting to take off around here in our part of PA as well as in other parts of the country. It seems overwhelming when you start planning but then there is the day when it all comes together and what a feeling of satisfaction and excitement. Enjoy the ride...it will pay off!

If you're curious, our page is at www.ducksoupauctions.com/

Best of Luck and don't give up!

PA Farmgirl #3766

Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up
Go to Top of Page

harvesttender
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

56 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  3:53:17 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations on such a good idea, Jonni. And your choice for a name, PIE BIRD, could not be better! There is no question that you'll succeed. My local farmers markets (CT) have lines at the pie table - every week! And lots of folks are picking up pre-orders. People love pie! Very best to you.
Go to Top of Page

EllaRow
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Chantelle
Nevis MN
USA
64 Posts

Posted - May 23 2013 :  2:58:19 PM  Show Profile
Good luck!

Soaking in wisdom as the showers fall
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2013 :  05:39:47 AM  Show Profile
Well, girls, just an update. My commercial kitchen rental fell through at the Senior Center (guy just flat out refused to return emails and phone calls--I tag them so I know he read them, but he was just...discourteous). Anyhoo, I went a way on a short break, rethought my energy and decided that I'll do whatever I can.

Yesterday, I walked into a little coffee shop that just opened down from my office and began talking to the owner and her daughters. Awesome little place and we had some acquaintences in common. Long story short, one of them is an old church friend who's wife started a gluten free bakery (but had the WORST HOURS EVER) and wasn't successful...but they have a COMMERCIAL KITCHEN FOR RENT A BLOCK FROM MY OFFICE!!!!. I have been in contact and have already secured the weekends for baking AND I'll be giving some samples to the coffee shop to see if they would like to carry my pies in their pastry case--they were VERY excited.

So, I'm off and running again. I will contact the health department again for pointers, but I think securing the kitchen is a good starting point!

Thank you girls for your support--I can't tell you how much it means. This job that I have, this desk job, for years it's been zapping my soul and well, maybe now there is change afoot. I can't leave it yet, but at least I'll have something to look forward to, a separate identity, a way to show my little one that you CAN have a dream.

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2013 :  06:31:37 AM  Show Profile
Yay! I am so excited for you Jonni! I have been wondering and praying. Great news and probably a much better kitchen too!

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2013 :  05:52:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much, Sharon--keep on prayin! It looks like by the end of June I will be in the commercial kitchen. $100 a month for as often as I want to use it, weekends and evenings during the week after 5:00. The only thing I will need to provide is a fridge--and that's doable now at Lowes for under $100. I can keep all my provisions there, they have mixers and a double convection oven, all gas/electric/water paid for.

Multi-talented husband is working on my logo (he was a fine arts major in college) and I am working on pushing down my fear of the unknown and "no". As my husband said this morning, "just keep asking. No doesn't mean never."

More updates later, but I have to thank each and every one of you for believing that I can do this. Though we've none of us really met, save MissBeeHaven and Nubidane, I appreciate each of your hearts and your good wishes for me and my little dream.

Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2013 :  11:26:48 AM  Show Profile
Jonni-
Hoping and Prayin that this all works out for you! It sounds like you are on the right track and you cant pass up that deal! WOW.
Wishing you much success!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds that you plant.
~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2013 :  4:36:01 PM  Show Profile
Jonni sounds like the door is wide open again. I am so glad you found a kitchen to rent. I am so excited for you. One day I hope to try your pies personally. I know you are going to do well. Hugs.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2013 :  8:56:26 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, I am so excited for you! Sure hope everything works out!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2013 :  12:26:58 PM  Show Profile
Well, girls, tomorrow at 11:00 I go to see the commercial kitchen!

We used Saturday as a marketing day to go round to all the local farmers markets (we're lucky that we astride 3 counties so we're close to all of them) and NO PIE DEALERS. There was one "sweets" dealer who I've purchased from in the past (only once) and her stuff was...not great.

But, we went to the Kenton County market that's about 10 minutes from my house and I ran into a good friend from school who sells his pork and beef there. He's a great resource and said that there is NOONE selling stuff like that at their little market and it would be a tremendous boon to have something other than flowers, bread and that sort of thing. He gave me his contact at the NKY Health Department, I've already spoken to him, he knows the space I'm going to rent and was very helpful in providing me names at the state capitol where I'll need to send my recipes.

So...maybe by summer's end I'll be in business! Just have to get my ducks in a row and start small. What I did notice about the lady who made all the sweets, cakes, etc...was that she had too much. She had two booths--one at an early market we went to that was heavily stocked and another that was sat by her mom, also heavily stocked. Not a lot of traffic at either market so, in my opinion, a lot of waste/loss.

Anyway, just wanted to give you girls a "status update" :)

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2013 :  4:40:26 PM  Show Profile
Jonni don't forget to tell us how your visit to the kitchen goes. Keeping my fingers crossed that this will be the one. Sounds also like you may have found a nitch for your pies.
You have alot of work ahead of you.....one step at a time and you will be there before you know it with your apron on.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Jul 04 2013 4:41:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2013 :  08:05:50 AM  Show Profile
I am just SO excited and happy for you, Jonni! Your dream is coming true! I can't wait to hear all about the exciting things to come! You GO girl! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

EllaRow
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Chantelle
Nevis MN
USA
64 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2013 :  2:23:12 PM  Show Profile
Great news Jonni! I hope your pies sell as fast as you make em :).

Soaking in wisdom as the showers fall
https://www.facebook.com/CavemanWoodworkingAndCrafts
https://www.facebook.com/RowlandComputersPlus
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2013 :  10:20:58 AM  Show Profile
I get keys to the kitchen on Monday!!! The fridge will be delivered Wednesday and I'll have my final inspection on Friday! So.....Next week I'm in business!

I am a nervous wreck, honestly. But, it's a good nervous. Sort of. Everyone I've spoken to about pies has been so receptive, asking where I sell them and saying, "no one makes good pies around here. You'll do well!" We'll see, but at least I'm getting out there and talking about it because, networking is NOT one of my fortes!

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2013 :  3:15:42 PM  Show Profile
How exciting Jonni !!! OMG it sounds like you are going to do it and you are almost there. I bet you do so well. I can't wait to here how it all goes once you start making your wonderful pies. Hugs to you and good luck.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

horseychick
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Melanie
Clarkston MI
USA
140 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  06:26:40 AM  Show Profile
Jonni,

How exciting! I will bet that this venture will make that FarmGirl side of you very happy. Keep us updated. We'll all looking forward to an update.

Farmgirl Sister #1706 You can take the girl out of the country but her soul will bring her back.-mlp

www.thestitchincoop.etsy.com
www.ThePatternShack.etsy.com
www.CountyFairVintage.etsy.com
www.CountrygirlSoul.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2013 :  07:44:13 AM  Show Profile
Another update!
Whew...where to begin. A few setbacks. Just after I got the kitchen approved, I was told that someone wanted to take over the lease and that we'd be moving before the end of August...after I'd just paid my fees for that particular space. So, I canceled the other inspection I needed, only to be called back a few minutes later and told that we wouldn't be making the change to a new space until the end of September, now. So, back on!

Finally got the people at the market to send me the application after hounding her for 2 solid months and was told that we need product liability insurance for a $1,000,000 policy. Ok....called the local farm bureau office and was told that it would be $785 a year!!!!! Which is odd, because my friend who sells at the market sells pork from his hogs. That are butchered and processed in a facility and then sold at a farm market and his premium is only $400 a year....and for farmers bringing organic vegetables and other types of produce in, it's $200. And I'm not knocking vegetable farmers, but there are a lot more "bugs" that can make you sick on fresh veg than from a cooked pie. So....still looking for coverage that's affordable.

Ordered boxes, stickers, and a banner. Buying baking supplies here and there. Here's the logo, featured as my profile pic, that my husband made for me and I love it. Also, started a facebook page, so if any folks would like to check out the page and like it, I'd be much obliged!
https://www.facebook.com/Piebirdchirp

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2013 :  8:56:42 PM  Show Profile
Ugh, what a hassle. Keep going though, the goal is worth it. Have you talked to your local chamber of commerce? I learned recently that here in my city, having a business registered gives you the opportunity to purchase group-rate health insurance through the COC. Maybe something similar is available for product insurance? (And for further down the road, it might be good to know whether health insurance is available also.)

I've been too busy to follow MJF for the past 18 months or so, so I wasn't aware of your new venture til I saw the Facebook page just recently. I'm so excited for you! Although I have to admit, I had no idea until tonight that a pie bird was an actual thing. Honestly, I'd never seen one before at a rummage sale, in a friends kitchen, mentioned in a book, nothing. I feel totally blindsided by a tool of such ingenuity and cuteness.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Update! A few setbacks, still on course-Piebird! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page