Page: of 3

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2013 :  08:27:48 AM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
Hi Vanessa,
I, too, kept the ashes of the two cats I had for 15 and 16 years. They were brothers I got when they were 9 months old. The last one passed last October, his brother the October before.
It comforts me to know I have those little boxes of ashes and pictures of my boys.
Nice to hear from the UK!!
Terri in California
Farmgirl # 4720
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2013 :  09:42:47 AM  Show Profile
It doesn't seem to get any easier being without Penny. She had incontinence problems (I called it leaking) and I was doctoring her for that. The part that caused her so much problem was undefined. She had a high BUN and creatinine so the kidneys were involved. Then she also had some sort of pinched nerve in her lower spine that caused her to lose her balance. You all are right, she is in a better place and I am selfish for wanting her back.

She truly was a sighthound. That came easy to her. We played catch with the tennis balls when she was younger. One thing I loved most about her was that she never smelled doggy. My ex had Chesapeaks and they smelled bad. I truly would like another Penny--or as close as I can find one. I know that she is one of a kind.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2013 :  09:47:41 AM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
Betty,
I am praying that you will find another Penny to comfort you and be a companion to you.
Terri
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2013 :  12:16:38 PM  Show Profile
Betty, I don't think your selfish - not at all. You miss her! You miss her warmth, her smiling eyes, her perky ears, her waggly tail, her gentle ways... you miss her love... and love never dies. I think sometimes that's one of the hardest things when any loved one passes: they're physically gone, but you still feel and love them in your heart. Its such a blessing that they never leave our hearts, but it does hurt until the missing is reconciled with the love. I totally understand that. Bless your precious heart. I know it hurts. It will take time to get through this, but there will be a day it gets easier and there will be room to let more love - a new love - in. :) You're in my prayers, dear sister. I hope with each day the pain of Penny's loss will gradually be overshadowed by all the blessings you had because of her, and the memories you shared with her will replace your tears with giggles and smiles. Be patient with yourself. Give yourself time. This is never easy. We love you, and we're here for you. Love and hugs, Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Feb 11 2013 12:20:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2013 :  12:42:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi Dear Nini,
I just saw this post. I am sorry that you are having to go through this with your sweet dog. Our dogs/pets are definately a huge part of our families, and boy oh boy does it hurt when they are hurting or we have to put them to rest.
I am praying for your family and your dear doggie. Hugs to you my sweet sister!

Betty- I am sorry to hear about Penny.

Our pets bring us so much joy on a daily basis. We really cant help but love them unconditionally.

Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Everyday is a beautiful day, and sometimes the weather is even nice!
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2013 :  12:45:56 PM  Show Profile
Hugs Betty.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2013 :  11:12:49 AM  Show Profile
So many thanks go out to each and every one of you that understand my grieving for my dear Penny. It makes me so sad, but I know that we will be reunited one day and she will be so glad to see me.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2013 :  2:59:48 PM  Show Profile
I had a boarder collie mix "Ringo " that had dimensia. She would lap at the floor and started losing her bladder in her sleep. I finally had to put her down. She was 14. That was in.2001. There's not a lot that can be done for pet dimensia. Supportive care. Sadly sometimes I think when pets get sick and there's no getting over it, it's best to let themg go. I think people hang on to them too long sometimes after a terminal diagnosis because the owner isn't ready to let them go. I'm not saying for you to put her down. It's just an observation of human behavior. I hope that her dementia is slow and you can enjoy her for a while longer.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2013 :  6:36:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

Well, our girl had her appointment today (which happens to be her 13th birthday, by the way!). The vet says she has cataracts in both eyes, so her vision has been reduced to about 50%. He said her hearing is about the same. In addition to those, she does exhibit signs of dementia. He said there are medications, but depending upon to whom you speak, they get about 50% positive results. He doesn't recommend that we go the medication route, because he personally doesn't think they work. SO, for now, we just have to keep her comfortable, realize her limitations and love her through this. He said as long as she is still eating, she's enjoying life, so we shouldn't worry. He said as far as how quickly this will progress, it varies from dog to dog, so all we'll have to watch out for is for her symptoms to become life-inhibiting, OR for her to stop eating. At either point, we'll have some decisions to make. For now, though, she's just a dear, sweet, loving old lady, and we will continue to treat her as such. We mentioned that she can't travel - being in the vehicle to get to the appointment was hard on her. He said it was understandable, but he doesn't recommend us kenneling her if we were to go away for a few days, because that would only upset her and confuse her, and the adjustment would be difficult for her. We don't really do that anyway. If we do go anywhere, it's a rare thing, and even then it's usually only overnight, and she is contented to stay here at home. Our dear neighbors who love her like their own (and whom she loves dearly) come over to let her out, feed her and then they'll take her over to their place for a little while to play with their dogs, and she's in her glory. :) I'm sure we'll figure everything out as we go. Everything will be fine.

So, I wish I could say we walked out of there with more positive treatment and care options for her, but really, that's all he was able to say and do for her. We just go on as we have been, and, I guess, realizing what's happening to her helps keep everything in perspective. She is very loved, very well taken care of, and very happy being home with her family and with her birds in the yard and with the rascally squirrel who makes her crazy and still prompts her to a chase (although they're much shorter than they used to be... but at least she's still moving, right?). It's sad, yes, but at least we understand what is happening to her, and kind of know what to expect. We'll just be taking it four happy paw steps at a time. :)

Thank you for your prayers, encouragement and kind words. We all go through this, I know. It's just so good to have all of you to share with. Bless you!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Feb 14 2013 6:45:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2013 :  6:59:33 PM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
Nini,
Good decision to just keep her home and love her. She will be happier during her last years just being in a familiar place with her regular routine, rather than going through any treatment or medication that might make her uncomfortable.
God Bless you,
Terri
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2013 :  8:11:49 PM  Show Profile
I agree with your decision, Nini. Hugs to both of you. Keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  10:31:29 AM  Show Profile
Nini, you are doing the right thing by what you are doing. My Penny lived a long, good life. She was loved and gave love in return. It's sad to see her go, but the vet said that she had been well taken care of. It was an expensive last few days, but Penny was worth it for all the companionship she afforded me. I think you would agree that your friend has done the same for you. I'm sorry to see them go, but love her and love her.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  3:04:08 PM  Show Profile
Dear Nini, So glad you have a reason for her change now!! I am thinking of you all...she is a very lucky girl to have such loyal owners. Hugs, Erica

Farm Girl #2731
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  5:39:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nini, I just saw your post - have been missing lately :( ! Glad you got some good news on your sweet girl. We have been going through lots of trial and error with our senior girl - She will be 16 this July. We finally took her to an Alternative Vet, and found out she has an enlarged heart, she takes two meds for that and one for pain. She has arthritis in her front shoulders. What a difference that made :)! I was up all night with her, pacing, panting, going in and out, just not knowing what was wrong. Thought she had dementia, but since we found Dr Brennan, she has been a different girl. Praise the Lord! She is totally deaf, but can see. Has all her teeth, and still acts like a puppy from time to time. Running up the hill and 15 stairs to get into the house. She does have trouble going down as it hurts her shoulders. She eats well, a little picky, but then she always has been :)! We just love her and are thankful for everyday she is here. We also have two other pups, one is six, the other three. All very much part of the family.
Give that sweet girl hugs for me.
Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  8:16:19 PM  Show Profile
Ruth, do you have a picture of your dog? We'd love to see her. I will keep her in my prayers.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2013 :  1:26:34 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for asking, here are a couple photo's of TaffyAnne. the close up one was today :) ! The one of her with her sister, Gracie Belle was taken in 2009 and she had just had a haircut.
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2013 :  09:04:04 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls! HI RUTHIE!!! I'VE MISSED YOU SO MUCH!!! I'm so sorry to hear TaffyAnne is having such a tough time of things, but I am so glad you found the right doctor and diagnosis and that she's doing much better! Isn't she just a precious beauty!!! I am sure you all miss Gracie Belle terribly - don't they look just lovely together, and as happy as can be! Please give TaffyAnne a hug from me, too! :)

I'm happy to report that our girl has spent the past few nights sleeping on the first floor without any whimpering or whining. My hubby and I just spend time petting her and talking sweetly to her in dulcet tones to calm her before heading up to bed, and it really has calmed her. The other morning, we spent about 15 minutes with her trying to coax her down the steps, and by the time it was over, all three of us were upset and exasperated by the whole thing. It was just so upsetting to see her like that. She was panting, afraid, crying, whining, wimpering...taking a step down and then heading back and running in small circles at the stop of the stairwell. My hubby ended up carrying her down, but she is just so heavy that I was very concerned that either one of them might get hurt - especially if she started wiggling. She seems to understand now that it's best just to stay put on the first floor at night, thankfully. A couple of mornings, she has seemed a little disoriented, as if she's trying to figure out who I am or where I had come from or something, but this morning she popped up as happy as can be, all bright- eyed and wagging her tail like a puppy. It was so good to see her back to her old self. I know we'll have good days ad bad, though - we just gotta keep loving her through it, that's all!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2013 :  1:13:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nini, Thanks for your response. We still have GracieBelle, she is only 6 and BarneyBoy is 3. They keep us hopping :)! Taffy is at this moment asking for her "after dinner" treat. She might be old, but boy does she remember that treat. The other two could go without, but nope, not TaffyAnne. Sometimes when I think she is getting forgetful, I think about her afterdinner treat :)! Glad your baby is adjusting to sleeping downstairs.
Composure works well too. Can get it from the Vet - over the counter calming goodie. We have to give it to Gracie from time to time as she gets nervous in the car, and Barney get's it when there is a bad storm coming. However the "Thunder Shirt" works great on him. He even will stand to let us put it on him - he knows it helps :)
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2013 :  1:18:38 PM  Show Profile
Oooooh!!! I thought when you said "taken in 2009" you meant GracieBelle was "gone." DUH! Well, this is happy news, then! :) So glad she's still with you! :) I'll look into the "Composure," for sure! :) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2013 :  5:16:19 PM  Show Profile
Nini,
Bless you and your girl. Having a senior pet can be very trying sometimes. We want to do all we can for them and it is frustrating when it doesn't seem to help. I was lucky when my old man beagle mix Mr. Bean passed away peacefully in his sleep. He was fifteen. I think I mentioned earlier the things he was going through, just like your doggie is. You are a wonderful pet owner. It is so sad how many older dogs end up in shelters. How awful for a senior dog to be dumped like that. Keep on loving her and she will let you know when it is time and if she needs help.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2013 :  3:43:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Nini. Glad you got your gal to stay downstairs. I remember emailing with you about the towel trick, etc. We lost our gal, Mollie, this morning. She had a stroke. She couldn't stand and well, you know, she was 13 and a Lab. I hated the fear in her eyes, but we did get her calm and her trust in us was evident. I have to tell my dd tonight that "her" dog is gone. They slept together for years...

thanks for listening,
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2013 :  7:09:40 PM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
Marianne,
I am so sorry about losing your dog. Don't be embarrassed to grieve and feel the loss as if it was a person.
Prayers for you,
Terri
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2013 :  06:36:02 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much, Terri. They teach us so much, including how to say good bye...
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2013 :  08:42:49 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Marianne... I'm so, so sorry... SO sorry... Praying for you and your family... Love, Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2013 :  09:18:22 AM  Show Profile
Since my Penny crossed the Rainbow Bridge on February 7, it has been so very lonely here at home. I live alone and don't do many outside activities due to low income. However, I have been saving to try to find another pet just like Penny. I hope I will be so fortunate. She was my love and I miss her still.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Canine Dementia? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page