True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2013 :  2:27:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls -

Lately we've been noticing that our dear old girl seems to be forgetting things - for example, where she should go to "go," and when she just ate, she'll call us back into the kitchen and look at her bowl as if it's time to eat. She also has started doing this really weird thing at night where she'll come into our bedroom, walk beside my side of the bed, then go to my hubby's side, and then go to the stairs, whimpering and panting the whole time. It's as if she's asking to go out, so we get up in the middle of the night and head down the steps, only to have her continue going round and round to either side of the bed, then back to the top of the steps, repeating the whole thing over and over and over. I keep telling my guys that I think she has some type of doggie Alzheimers, but they think I'm totally off base with this. So tonight, when she pulled another "When are you gonna feed me?" thing just after eating her dinner, I headed right online to Google doggie Alzheimers. I was astounded. A lot of the symptoms she has been exhibiting over the last few years - things that the vet has kind of dismissed - are on the list! I don't know what to do? If the vet has been dismissing them, is it because this is all normal for an older dog and he just didn't put a name on it? OR do you think that he made a big boo-boo and we could've been doing more along the way to help her? Should I bring her in to see him? OR should I find another vet? And, do you know if they can or will even do anything for her? My poor girl! Everything is starting to piece together and I feel like we've really missed the mark. I know that they can't cure it, but if there's anything we can do for her to make things easier, I want to be sure we do it. For example, if I had known that rearranging the furniture was going to be stressful for her, I never would have done it. Now I understand why she was acting so funny last fall - she wasn't sure what to do with this new situation! Geez-oh-man my heart really hurts for her. My poor girl! I wonder how long this will go on like this? Is it the same as with human dementia? Will it progress slowly and drag on for years? Will she suffer much? Do they medicate for this? Is it even affordable? I know I should be speaking to the vet about it, but I'm not even sure if I trust his judgment anymore... I know... I need to take a deep breath. I just feel so bad for her, you know? :(

If any of you have experienced this with your pets, I really would appreciate your insight and advice. We just love her so much, you know? This is so sad!!!

Thanks so much -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2013 :  3:22:43 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nini,
I have had several, several dogs through out my life. And really do not think I would EVER be with out one or two. I have been with almost all of my dogs as they crossed the rainbow bridge. I would do anything to improve my pets life. As my pets have improved my life!
Right now I have two aged Rat Terriers, 1 has a few teeth (which I hand feed every day, the other almost blind. And yes, they both are very forgetful, wanting out after coming in one door will go to the other.
As for yoru dog I would call my vet and set up an appointment to speak with him about doggie dementia, and what you have found, if he does not want to do anything then YES, find another vet.
To me it would be the same as a family member,I would do everything I could to get them help, why wouldn't I help a beloved pet.
Was there any OTC meds, your research recommended?
Good luck Nini, I hope you can get her some help.

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com

Edited by - kysheeplady on Feb 07 2013 4:07:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2013 :  3:45:16 PM  Show Profile
Nini, Teri took my exact words!!!!! A few months before my part Rat Terrier, Luck Dog, went to Heaven, he was sort of spacey; he'd eat a while, then look around and just lay down and nap right there by his food bowl. He was 22 when he passed, couldn't see hardly at all and couldn't hear very well. But, I'd get right up to his face, and chat with him. I know he appreciated me doing that, because what ever I asked, he would try to do. Often, I'd say, "Are you ready to go out and do your business Luck?" He'd get up slowly and walk toward the door and just stop. I'd repeat it again. So, for me and Luck, I had to constantly repeat things. I surely didn't mind. Hugs to your sweet dog. Hugs to you. Keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2013 :  3:47:48 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Teri. I didn't see any dimentia meds mentioned on the sites I viewed, only that she should be on a dry food created especially for older dogs. I'll call the vet tomorrow and see what he says. I had planned to do that, anyway, I just wasn't sure whether I should just take her to see him or find someone else. I know some vets just let illness slide in older dogs, and wasn't sure his former dismissal of her symptoms was an indicator that he is that kind of doctor, or whether this is a normal oversight some doctors make, you know? Right now she's staring at me like she doesn't know me and is trying to figure out who I am. At first I was thinking maybe she was having problems with her vision, but now that I've read up on it a little bit, I tend to think it's just another sign of dementia. Hopefully the vet will be able to help us ease this time for her. :)

I didn't see any post from Kris? I do understand, though, that everyone has different opinions on end of life care for their pets. When dealing with this kind of thing, concerns range from everything from financial considerations to loving mercy. I'm sure all of us love our pets and do our best for them within our abilities and limitations, truly. :) It's never an easy thing to face for any of us, I know. I'm not looking forward to any of this at all. We thought we were losing her a couple of years ago and it was absolutely heartbreaking and overwhelming. We've been pretty lucky that she's done as well as she has since then - she'll be celebrating her her thirteenth birthday on Valentine's Day. :) We'll definitely have a special celebration for her this year - most definitely!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2013 :  3:55:54 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Marly! I must've been typing while you were posting! She is definitely our girl - definitely one of the family. I can't even imagine life without her! And just like we'd take care of a grandparent, we'll do whatever we can to make her comfortable and to feel safe and to be happy. I talk to her just like you did to Luck Dog... I know she understands every word, and like I've shared before, she definitely communicates with her eyes. It's just lately there are times that she doesn't seem like she's in there, or that she just doesn't understand anything. It's so sad. I should've trusted my instincts when this first started happening, but it was so easy to dismiss them, like the vet did, you know? Oh well...none of that matters now. Time to pull up the bootstraps and march on alongside her, carrying her when the time comes. Love will help us find a way for her! :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2013 :  4:11:02 PM  Show Profile
Nini, Luck Dog stared at me constantly!!!! I believe he wanted reassurance that I was there for him, that I would be there no matter what, that I would know what to do. At the end, Luck Dog was the one who let me know, without a doubt, he was ready to go. It was a hard day, hard to bare, but the love for him was what got us both through his ordeal. Hugs to you, Nini.
Keep us posted, please.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2013 :  4:51:51 PM  Show Profile
Hugs Nini. It is so hard to see our babies get old. There seems to be a lot of good advice here. I would think that consistency is the best thing you can give her as you already are. It would probably be a good idea to get her hearing and sight checked out too. For dogs I think it can be very confusing to them if they cant hear or see well, they depend on those things so much more than humans do.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2013 :  5:02:17 PM  Show Profile
Good advice, Laura - I'll definitely be sure to have her checked when we see the vet. Thank you!

Marly - I know what you mean! I usually can understand her just by looking into her eyes. It's amazing. I think you and I have shared about that before - it's such a moving and wonderful thing! And you're right - sometimes she does look for reassurance. She follows me around like a puppy dog some days. At other times, though, she just has this blankness to her stare and doesn't even seem to recognize me. That's when I just repeat loving, familiar phrases to her until I see the light turn on, and then she's all happy and wagging her tail again. She's just not right. SO sad. And yet, I am still very comforted that she's here with us, you know? :)

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Feb 07 2013 5:03:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2013 :  6:56:06 PM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
Hi Nini,
Definitely take her to the vet. I had a cat that was acting like that, wanting to eat all the time and meowing almost constantly. Eventually he just quit eating altogether.
This could be something totally fixable and you could enjoy your pet another several years.
Best of luck,
Terri
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2013 :  7:07:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nini,

You should take your girl to the vet, and tell him/her what you read online and her symptoms. Our dog, Pepper, was acting the same way when he became older. I do not know if he had dementia...but he did keep acting as if he wanted to go outside, even after he came in. The result was he was experiencing kidney failure. I do not want to assume that is what is wrong with your dog, but she may be having a kidney issue. Pepper also would walk around and couldn't seem to get comfortable...as well as just start barking when no one was at the door. I felt so helpless. Be patient, when she is staring at you...keep talking gently and when she realizes its you...love her like there is no tomorrow. My story does not end well, Pepper was 16 and passed shortly after the diagnoses. He was put on medicine, I cannot remember what it was, and it did help at first. You are a good momma to your girl...be brave and know that you are not alone...hugs to you, Erica
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2013 :  7:22:37 PM  Show Profile
Nini--I'm so sorry you're going through this. Boxer showed signs of dementia the last year of his life. Sometimes he'd just stand and stare at me like he didn't know what to to. I'd say. "Boxer, go lay on the couch" and then something would click and he'd go lie down. But it was like he couldn't figure it out on his own. He also pooped in the house during that last year, but I think that was related to the neurological problems he was having. It was so sad to see but then he'd always perk up when I asked him if he wanted to go for a walk. He often seemed dazed and confused and I know he didn't hear that well so I think that factored in as well. I just made him as comfortable as I could. It was so hard to say goodbye but I know I'll see him again someday and he'll be whole and sound and happy. I miss him and I'll get another dog eventually but I'm still going through the grieving process. it's hard to explain but Boxer has let me "know" that he's OK and I take comfort in that. He knows I loved him. even when he was having dementia. Dogs never forget love.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  03:29:55 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much girls for sharing your insight and experiences. I am so, so sorry for the losses you have all experienced. Your love and caring is such a beautiful thing. I can only imagine how much you're missing your beloved dogs! They were definitely blessed to have you! Cindy, you are so right - they never forget love. They never forget how to show it, either. There is a reason they are called "man's best friend," for sure! I'll be calling the vet this morning and let you know what he says. I'll keep you posted. Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  08:26:43 AM  Show Profile
Nini,
I am so sorry you are going through this. It is hard, almost as hard as having a human member of the family go through it.
I had a beagle/jack russell rescue named Mr. Bean that I adopted from the Humane Society when he was nine years old. I had him until he was 15. In his last year he lost most of his vision and hearing. He became very anxiety ridden if there was any change. I tried to keep him on a regular schedule as much as possible. He had a doggie bed in every room, he always felt better to be in the room with me. I started having to kennell him when I went to work because he would have anxiety and urinate in the house. I would come home at lunch and take him for a little walk every day. It broke my heart when he would have so much anxiety when he was in his kennell that he would lick his paws continuously and leave a little stream of saliva running out of his kennell. Every now and then, he would act like a puppy and run and play like he did when he was younger. This is the reason I never sought to have him "helped across".(I don't like the word euthansia) One night, sadly while I was in SC visiting my DD, Mr. Bean let out a yelp and passed in his sleep. I knew it was getting to be close, but was sad I was not there for him. My DH wrapped in his blanket and buried him.
My prayers out to you and your beloved dog. Keep us posted.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  09:47:03 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Diane... I'm so sorry!!! I think I do remember when that happened - you posted a picture of Mr. Bean, right? He was sooo cute, as I remember! Our girl started with this insane licking of her front paws around Christmas. We thought she might be comforting herself because of arthritis. I didn't even think of anxiety! My poor girl.

I did speak with the veterinary assistant, and we're bringing her in next Thursday evening to see a new vet in the practice. She said that they will need to do a complete exam, of course, and then they will determine whether she will be a candidate for the meds that are available. I'm going to bring a list of all the odd little things we've noticed lately, and hopefully they will be able to tell us for sure what it is. The vet. asst. said that it does sound like she's having symptoms of dementia, but, as we all know, it could be a combination of different things, too. We'll see. I'm just going to keep reading up on it and try to figure out how to best keep her comfortable and feeling safe and secure. When we've had people in our lives who suffered with this, I was really good about identifying what they were trying to do or communicate - it would amaze people - so I'm hoping I will be in tune enough with her to be able to meet her needs. I'll tell you one thing, I'm not going to doubt my instincts ever again. I know "Mother knows best..." I feel so bad that I didn't listen to myself in the beginning, you know? Well, I guess the important thing is that we're headed in the right direction to get her the help she needs. That's a great comfort, for sure!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  09:58:08 AM  Show Profile
I just had to put my dear Penny down last night. I had her for 15 years and she was going downhill. She was a lovely saluki/australian shepherd mix--at least that was what the vet said. She was doing some of those weird things you mentioned Nini. She paced a lot, panted a lot, and walked the perimeter of the yard. Last night she got to the point she couldn't stand and I knew it was time. I must say that I am going to miss her so much. My eyes are swollen today from crying about her last night.

I had never had a pet before and I'm so glad we found each other. I thought I might try to add a photograph of my dear Penny.

Betty in Pasco

Edited by - Betty J. on Feb 08 2013 10:02:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  10:48:03 AM  Show Profile
Oooooh... Betty!!! I wish I could be there to comfort and console you, to make you some tea, and to hug you and hold your hand through this heartbreaking loss. I'm so sorry! My heart just hurts for you! God love and bless you! Penny looks SO much like our Pawlee! Even my son said so! Such loving eyes! Such a sweet, sweet friend! I can't even imagine how hard this is for you; how much you'll miss her. I'll be praying for you, my friend. I'm so, so sorry! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

MtnGrlByTheBay
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

Erin
Lexington Park MD
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  11:12:25 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I had an old pug who experienced all they symptoms you described. I researched it, and it is VERY REAL. It's also very sad, and very difficult to deal with. Most of all, because it's not something definate like Cancer or an accident - it makes making the decision of euthanasia all the more difficult. Our old pug could not see, could barely hear, only had a few teeth, had a tumor on her front leg, was incontinent, and had dimentia. Often she would just sit and stare or wimper. But she ate well, and loved well, so the decision to help her cross the Rainbow Bridge was one I wrestled with probably far longer than I should have.

However - a day will come when you'll just know.

Nini, I'm so sorry. It's never easy.

^^^I'm a RidgeRunner, and will always feel best when surrounded by the PA mountains.^^^

www.lastlapgang.com
Go to Top of Page

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  11:24:33 AM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
Oh Betty,
I am so sorry. Just know that we who have gone through this are there for you. Feel free to vent, cry and grieve for her.
Thank you so much for posting the picture.
Love and many big warm hugs from California.
Terri
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  1:13:16 PM  Show Profile
Nini
I would definitely take her to a vet & check for something as simple as a kidney infection. I had a Dane that became very strange acting, looked at me weird, and after a few days she kind of collapsed. She never showed any signs of problems urinating. I took her to a local vet, they ran a multitude of tests,($800 worth) & referred me to an internist. The internist took a sample directly from her pelvic region, found a huge infection, gave me $20 worth of a sulfa drug & we were on our merry way. Bill was $125, & she was a specialist. Willow was fine in 2 days.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  3:54:20 PM  Show Profile
Betty,
Sorry for the loss of your beloved pet. You gave her a good life and it is always hard. I am one that says you will never replace the lost pet but when it is time you should adopt another. There are so many animals that need homes. You will know when you are ready.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  4:47:41 PM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
Diane,
I totally agree with you, adopt another to ease the pain. Maybe the next pet will find you.
Terri
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  5:03:36 PM  Show Profile
Betty: Penny is beautiful! I can see the love in her eyes. I'm so sorry for your loss. My eyes would be swollen also. Big hugs to you. Thank you for sharing her sweet face with all of us.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2013 :  07:23:05 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for all your kind thoughts about Miss Penny. It has been two days now, and the tears still keep coming. When I bent down to kiss my sweet Penny on the forehead, she smelled so good. Even when she had been without a bath for a month, she never smelled doggy. I miss her so much. During her last days she was pacing from the bedroom to the water dish near the kitchen and as I read the paper this morning, I noticed the carpet was really dirty from her walks. I am hoping I can find a similar breed when I decide I want another pet. Gee, I miss her so much.

Betty in Pasco

Edited by - Betty J. on Feb 09 2013 07:23:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

MtnGrlByTheBay
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

Erin
Lexington Park MD
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2013 :  05:18:33 AM  Show Profile
Betty, Penny is beautiful. When you are ready, if you'd like help finding a dog similar to her, please let me know. My husband and I ran a Retired Racing Greyhound Rescue for a few years, and I know a bit about sighthounds. I also have a friend who breeds/rescues salukis. I once had a Borzoi who I loved with all my heart. I still pine for him most.

The Aussie Shep part is a bit more easier to come by. Herding Breeds usually need a job to do, and I'll be Penny was VERY smart. You find many Border Collies and other Herders in Rescue because people get them based on their beautiful looks, and then give them up after they've found their own JOB to do... usually involving a dismantled couch or garage door.

Nini, how's your dog doing? You know, she might not have dimentia, but just incontinence. I think you said you took her to the vet? Just curious.

^^^I'm a RidgeRunner, and will always feel best when surrounded by the PA mountains.^^^

www.lastlapgang.com
Go to Top of Page

Devongal
True Blue Farmgirl

104 Posts

Vanessa
Okehampton Devon
United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2013 :  05:49:52 AM  Show Profile
Betty, love and hugs in abundance. I went to collect my old boys ashes today, he was my best friend for 17 years and helped me throgh much illness.Take comfort he rests peacefully.

So much to do, so little time :)
Go to Top of Page

Devongal
True Blue Farmgirl

104 Posts

Vanessa
Okehampton Devon
United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2013 :  05:52:18 AM  Show Profile
Nini, you know you dog better than anyone, trust youre head and youre heart.

So much to do, so little time :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Canine Dementia? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page