True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2013 :  1:10:22 PM  Show Profile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ--faib7to&feature=player_detailpage

I am appalled that this is allowed to happen.

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2013 :  1:34:19 PM  Show Profile
This is just awful! I could never work there! Boycott them! Buy Local and Humane! I am also sure that the ground up male chicks end up as chicken meal in dog and cat food!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White

Edited by - Fiddlehead Farm on Feb 05 2013 1:34:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2013 :  2:53:00 PM  Show Profile
I didnt look at it but I think I know what it is about. Disgusting.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2013 :  2:53:50 PM  Show Profile
:(
So sad...how do you know when you're buying egg layers from a hatchery that they haven't been treated like this? I'm going to be getting some chicks this spring, but I don't want to support a hatchery that is cruel to the animals. We're not vegans, but I just don't think that things have to be that way...

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05), Bennett (7/11/07), Truman (7/28/09) and baby Graeme (11/29/12)
Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2013 :  3:33:24 PM  Show Profile
I don't get how people can work in places that treat animals so cruelly. My uncle is a vegetarian and supports animal rights. I was reading a magazine he had that had an article where someone went undercover to different places like slaughter houses and big chain pet stores. I won't even go into the slaughter houses, but at one of the pet stores, if animals were sick they would just throw them in the garbage......alive!! It's been several years since I read the article, but if I remember correctly, it was a puppy the undercover person saw them throw into the garbage. I just don't understand how people can do that. I don't care if it is just a paycheck to them...how on Earth can they be so heartless?

:(
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2013 :  07:33:40 AM  Show Profile
It's wickedness that makes people that way. I think all of the larger hatcheries do that. I like to have my daughter hatch chicks for me in her incubator. Or buy from a breeder like somebody in back yard chickens. The chickens are better bred too. The problem is we end up with little roosters instead of all hens like one can order from a big hatchery. But I suppose it is more kind to just butcher them or sell them to someone even if they just butcher them. Maybe some of the hatcheries don't. If you ladies know any more about which ones that don't I would like to know about them. Diane you mentioned where they end up, try fed back to the chickens. Thats what they did with cows and that is how mad cow disease got started so bad years back. They were taking the brains of dead cows not knowing they were infected because it wasn't a disease that used to spread to the rest of the cow's body and they ground the infected brains up and fed them back to the cows. Also all I've read on aids supports that it came from people in other countries eating monkeys and it mutated. I know we are supposed to keep religious views to a minimum in this forum, but I just have to say that the Bible has some pretty good rules in Deut. 12 about what and what not to eat. Not preaching just something I believe to be sound advice and live by myself. Also proverbs says The righteous man regards the life of his beast, but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel. Just my 2 cents worth.
Laura

Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2013 :  09:37:56 AM  Show Profile
It just sickens me the way these little birds were treated. I'm not vegan or anything, but dang - animal cruelty is animal cruelty. What that hatchery does is beyond cruel. I sent them an email voicing my disdain, but it will probably fall on blind eyes and a closed minds.

www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2013 :  2:11:25 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I can't watch. I'll take your word for it. It makes me so upset... All you can do is be careful where you buy everything. Why can't people just be decent?
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2013 :  5:09:42 PM  Show Profile
It's all part of the "factory farming" mentality where pigs are referred to as "pork product" instead of as flesh and blood animals. I once attended a seminar where a guy from Monsanto spoke and I ended up being seated next to him at lunch. He tried to tell me that chickens raised in factory conditions are "happier" than free range chickens. Did they interview the chickens??!!! It's unbelievable what some people try to pass off as acceptable.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2013 :  5:20:00 PM  Show Profile
i am horrified and speechless. i have been shopping for a incubator. now i know i will get one. very sad indeed.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2013 :  5:56:07 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone know if Murray McMurray treats animals like this? They were the company I was looking to buy from, but now I don't know...

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05), Bennett (7/11/07), Truman (7/28/09) and baby Graeme (11/29/12)
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2013 :  6:21:25 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I'm aghast! Sickened!
God help us all!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2013 :  6:26:14 PM  Show Profile
I wish I had not of watched that. I feel sick now. I will not be able to sleep tonight now thinking about all those baby chicks.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2013 :  12:30:20 PM  Show Profile
Liza-Jane - I really don't know what happens at other hatcheries. I only found out about this from a vegan friend. He was horrified as well.

It truly is sickening. I still can't get that image out of my head.

Go to Top of Page

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2013 :  4:53:24 PM  Show Profile
This is such a prime example of what happens when you take a natural system Mother Nature has perfectly under control and industrialize it. I'd rather live in the pre-industrial era thank you. Convenience is such the golden calf right now!

"Come to the cliff, " He said. "We are afraid," they said. "Come to the cliff," He said. They came. He pushed them. And they flew.

The Fearless Farmgirl
www.fearlessfarmgirl.blogspot.com
https://twitter.com/#!/Fearlessfarmgrl
Farmgirl Sister #2106
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2013 :  5:39:50 PM  Show Profile
I looked up this hatchery online and its a big commercial hatchery. And they specialize in poultry genetics. Their website doesn't even have a chicken on it...just eggs. They obviously don't care about the animals. Murray McMurray just celebrated the first chick hatched for the year and had pics of one of their customer service reps manning the phones and cuddling a cute little chick. I feel like they have a heart for the animals...I hope I'm right.

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  9:18:55 PM  Show Profile
I have mixed and conflicting feelings.

While the footage of that is awful and senseless, I can understand their reasoning. It's not much different than mine, just on a larger scale. Males of any animal on my farm are not always a profit building aspect to the business. An abundance of males is not a necessity. You only need one male to service many females. Too many males is just more cost to the feed bill and extra work. They can either be sold to someone else or butchered for eating.

I keep as many females as I can as replacement breeders, sell some for profit and always sell or butcher the males. That goes for my chickens, ducks, rabbits, and goats. I've had an over abundance of boy goats born this year. Every time one was born I was disappointed, 'another boy', I'd say. Dairy goat breed boys just don't make me any money. I make money off girls...either to sell as breeders or already in milk and ready to be a milk goat for someone. These dairy boys are also not very filled out and muscular, so they don't sell for much because no one can use them for meat.

The only livestock I deal in that is profitable as a boy are the meat goats. They will bulk up quicker than a girl. I can sell them at a good price as Cabrito (very young goat) to my Hispanic customers, under a year old to the Jewish and Carribean customers, and older ones to the Middle Eastern customer.

So, I understand the hatchery's reasoning of considering the bottom line of profit and dealing with it in the least expensive way. But, I don't know what the alternative for them would be. I don't know how they could change their methods.

It'd be great if someone local could work out a contract to go pick up the males instead of them being killed in that manner. That person could have their own business of raising them for future consumption. Either way, the birds still end up dead. But at least if they're raised as food, it doesn't seem as senseless.

Ladies, please don't hate me.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2013 :  1:17:45 PM  Show Profile
No hate for you here. I just hate the way those babies are ground up still Alive! I understand that males don't make the same money as females - (wow - that's different) Anyway. There has to be a better way to exterminate them if they can't pass them along. The roosters we get on our farm are raised to maturity then butchered and put in the freezer. They don't go to waste. But most importantly - they aren't treated like trash.
And since that particular hatchery is devoted to genetics - I'm surprised they haven't figured out a way to make sure they only get females.
I certainly don't know the answer, but cruel is cruel.

Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2013 :  07:39:36 AM  Show Profile
I think the solution would be to gas them in a chamber. Then incinerate the bodies. Sorry don't mean to sound so morbid, but.... They just go to sleep and don't wake up. The problem is they want to be able to use them for something. Seems to me they are choosing money over kindness and integrity. Seems to me it wouldn't be a big loss to take for the sake of kindness, but then maybe there are government regulations to deal with.
Laura

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Horrific! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page