Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Does anyone have a wood stove? Help!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Does anyone have a wood stove? Help! Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  2:14:55 PM  Show Profile
We bought a brand new Wonderluz wood stove a few months back. Got all the pipes and everything and hooked it all up. Well, not too many weeks later, we had to take it all apart because the pipes were all full of creosote. Bad. I didn't realize that I was burning some cedar in with the other wood. Even had the creosote dripping out of the back of the stove. Also we didn't have the pipe going into the fireplace up far enough.

So, all new pipes. Even spent hours breaking out the fire brick so we could get more pipe up farther into the chimney.

All was good til this week. Smoke would poor out of the door when I would open it to put more wood in. Then I was noticing the house was really smokey later. I then started seeing smoke coming out of the pipe that comes out of the back of the stove around the seam. Also it started coming out the door around the seal.

Today, I was in here and started smelling smoke really bad. It had been several hours since I had put wood in. The house was full of smoke. It was pouring out of the seam in the pipe.

So I went ahead and took all the wood out and got all the coals shoveled out. Husband is here so he took all the pipes off and it's SO clogged with creosote. But the chimney is clear. None in there.

We have been burning oak that a friend had just cut down with some other wood we had. The oak was from a tree that was dead. But the wood is really heavy and took a long time to burn.

What are we doing wrong? Is it the wood? Is it the stove pipe? The stove? WHAT??? It's so frustrating. Now we can't burn wood. And it's going to be in the 20's at night for the rest of forever. We have a central unit but it just blows out cold air when it gets below 40. It's freezing. We also have one of those radiant heaters I have to put below the thermostat so the auzilliary heat doesn't kick in.

I just don't know what to do other than get a professional out here and spend thousands of dollars which we don't have. Any advice or suggestions? I know we were fortunate to have caught it suring the day and that the hubby was here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  2:27:02 PM  Show Profile
Are you burning hot enough? I don't know much because we've only had our wood stove for a few months, but zi know if you don't burn it super hot, the creosote will build up. And also if it's windy out and you don't getit super hot really fast, you won't get the updraft needed to get the smoke going up e chimney and it will pour into your house. Learned that one the hard way...to prevent it, I now load the stove up with paper when first lighting it. This burns a super quick, hot fire and will get that updraft going. Also, someone told us to open a door or window in the room and that will prevent the smoke from pouring out somehow.

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05), Bennett (7/11/07), Truman (7/28/09) and baby Graeme (11/29/12)
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  2:37:32 PM  Show Profile
Kristin I once had a similar problem with a wood stove. In our case it was because we were getting a downdraft. Since your stove is new it might less likely be the flu adjustment at the stove level. With ours it was part of the problem because it was a very old stove. However the bigger part of the problem for us was that we lived in the Texas plains in tornado alley at the time and the placement of the chimney/stovepipe was at a not so good angle of the roof so we got wind coming down and Hubby fixed the problem by making the outside stovepipe taller. It's supposed to be a certain distance above the highest part of your roof. If not the wind comes over the roof and creates a downdraft that goes into the chimney and slows down the upgoing smoke which causes the creosote to build up in the chimney/ pipe.
This may not be your problem at all but maybe this helps.
I hope you can stay warm and be safe Dear.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  3:04:23 PM  Show Profile
We had problems with the stove pipe we went the extra price and got the double wall pipe and the triple wall in the cold area like the attic.
I have had 5 chimney fires and have vowed to never have wood stove again. I did find the creosote burning logs helped. Good luck.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  3:39:40 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, we probably should have gotten some of those creosote burning logs. Maybe it would have helped. I'm not really sure why it did this again. The stove pipe is going up nearly all the way up the chimney. It has been really windy here lately too. And the oak wood really doesn't burn very hot. We do need to get some seasoned wood if we do get it back together again.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2013 :  04:41:59 AM  Show Profile
Hay Kris, if your oak is really heavy, most likely it is wet yet. Hard to say though. An inside wood stove does need dry firewood. You can't let it just smolder either. Like mentioned you need to get a good fire going. It is a learning process. Cleaning out that pipe on a regular basis would be a good idea too.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2013 :  05:46:33 AM  Show Profile
Kris,
Everyone has already mentioned all the problems we have run up against over the years. When we lived in KS, the wind played a huge factor in whether we could get a good updraft going or not. The seasoned wood is very important. Also do you know if your stove has a just one air feed? Ours has two and they work very differently. Our brand is Lopi. Good luck. Kind of scary to have all that smoke!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2013 :  06:51:31 AM  Show Profile
Kris,
We have been burning for over 20 years now and the only problem we have had, is CHEAP piping, so NOW all we will use is stainless steel. We have it made special. Fits together like a glove have vey FEW seams in it. Never had a problem with wind ... but they make caps for the tops of the chimney.
Also, I will say what everyone else has said and prob. the most important thing a bout burning is WOOD, you CAN NOT burn green or wet wood and EXPECT not to have problems. And it is NEVER okay to burn pine in a house wood stove.
You really NEED to learn these things before you start burning and way BEFORE it gets cold. This is FIRE you are dealing with, it could burn your house down. I take fire VERY seriously!
This is our ONLY form of heat, so what I am saying is if YOU don't know what you are doing, get someone out who DOES!
But, really you should have some knowledge before you start any fire or woodstove. Sorry if this sounds rough ... but, a very dangerous situation, to not know how to do it.
And nobody has even mention the fact of any leaks of carbon monoxide, that can do undetected!

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2013 :  08:24:43 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
The pipe the goes outside has to be taller than the peak of the roof, and dry wood is a must, you can mix a little green with dry wood, also you have to have proper draft for the wood to burn, I agree with Teri you need to have someone check it out that knows what they are doing, be safe. Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2013 :  09:21:12 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kris,
Sorry to hear that you are having so many problems with the wood stove. Thank God, as you said this happened during the day ands that DH was home with you. We don't burn a Woodstock, although we do have one in our finished basement. I don't know a lot about them and my DH jones even less, so I have always been afraid, although I do LOVE a fire!
Good luck with everything. Is there a neighbor etc who may be able to help?
Please stay safe.
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Everyday is a beautiful day, and sometimes the weather is even nice!
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2013 :  09:31:30 AM  Show Profile
I hope you are using well seasoned wood. new wood will cause the creosote, big time. Dry wood at least one year. We use mostly Alder we get off our place and some Cedar--it is pitchy though. We use the woodstove for our main source of heat and haven't had any problems. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2013 :  1:09:14 PM  Show Profile
Kris
We had a problem when we first installed our wood stove with smoke when there was any wind at all. We had to install a block chimney outside that is about 15 ft (I think?) high. It has helped tremendously, but if it is extra windy, you have to get a good, hot fire going quickly. I save my old candles, wrap a chunk in a sheet of newspaper, & tie it in a rough knot. I use this, along with some good kindling to start our fires, & it has really helped to get a good hot fire quickly. Good luck; I hate when that smoke puffs back into the house.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2013 :  3:06:08 PM  Show Profile
Kris,
I talked to my DH. HE grew up with burning wood and we burn wood.
He said it sounds like you are burning green wood. Only burn dry wood. If the wood is foaming and moisture is coming out of wood it is too wet and you can not burn that. That creates creosate.
Also you are probably not burning the fire hot enough. So you need more draft to get the temps up. You can buy a temp gauge that will go on pipe to let you know if you are in the correct burn zone.
Do you have 8 inch pipes? You can clean them out with a chimney brush, you don't have to throw them away..just clean them out. we clean ours out every year.
There is also a powder you can buy to put in your fire about once a week that helps keep the creosate from building up.

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2013 :  3:41:33 PM  Show Profile
It may not sound like it at all, but we have burned wood for years. When we first got married that's all we had to heat with for almost 7 years. Never had a problem. Then when we moved to another house, it had a fireplace and we burned wood in it the first winter. Then got an insert and burned wood it that for several years. Then I had enough of all the mess and we went to natuarl gas and gas logs. Then in this house, we had propane gas logs in the fireplace. It got where we couldn't afford the propane so last year we just burned wood in the open fireplace. Of course we went through tons of wood that way.

So last fall when I had some money come in, I bought this brand new wood stove. Got the black 8"pipe. Of course we have a chimney that does go up over the roof line with a cap on it. We had to break out a lot of the fire brick to get to where we could put the pipe up higher into the chimney the 2nd time. My first mistake was burning some cedar. We had to redo all the pipe and start over.

We were told that this oak tree our friend had cut down had been dead a few years. It was dry but real heavy. And it did just smolder unless I put older wood in too.

This stove has a round thing on the door where the wood goes in and on the ash door that can be opened for air. Also on the front there is a little door that can be opened witha knob for air. When we would open that little door is when the smoke would pour out of the door and the pipe seams.

It has been really windy this winter too. There could be any number of reasons why this has happened. I really feel like a fool now. And that we really don't know a lot about wood heat. I guess maybe things have changed since we last had a wood stove. Maybe there's a class we could take?

Thanks for all the advice and I will show these all to my husband when he comes back. Until we get some more money, we will not be using the wood stove again. Back to the cold central heat pump again. And lots of clothes and blankets.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2013 :  3:59:44 PM  Show Profile
Kris,
Go on line with the model of your stove if it is new it will have info on how all the drafts, both upper and lower drafts and how they work. As for a class go on line again and READ READ READ!
And I will say this that the BLACK stove pipe you buy at lowes or you local True Value is really cheap stuff. I would look for BETTER pipe.
And PLEASE be careful.
ooops ... forgot to add that dry wood is not heavy, even oak is not that heavy when dry or seasoned.
Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com

Edited by - kysheeplady on Feb 03 2013 4:01:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2013 :  4:14:16 PM  Show Profile
Even if a tree is dead it can still be wet. Dry wood should be light. My dh cuts wood for a living in the winter. Most of our wood is dry. To control the temperature (we don't have a thermostat as we live off grid) we throw a few green sticks in on top but only after the stove has run for at least an hour to heat the chimney and pipes. Next you can mix hard and soft wood together. We burn poplar,birch, hackmatak, oak, maple, spruce, hemlocks,. What ever dh can get his saw on. You may have too many elbows in your pipes or the pipes may not be the correct size which will mess with your draft. Is it difficult together the fire going or keep going? That maybe your problem.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2013 :  4:16:12 PM  Show Profile
Even if it was dead for a while it still could be wet wood. Especially if it wasn't cut up and let to dry. If you weren't having problems with other wood it may be just that. I can tell now when we get a batch of wood that isn't quite dry enough it feels heavier to me.
We have triple wall going through the ceiling and attic but we have the black pipe going to the ceiling and we have never had problems.
We have had creosate build up from smoldering fires or burning wood that wasn't dry enough. We just clean the pipes and burn drier wood. We also put that powder in the fire at least once a week to keep creosate from building up.
Sorry you are having problems. It can be very frustrating.

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2013 :  4:36:17 PM  Show Profile
Lorena, I never let the fire go out. I hate having to get it started again. I do shovel out the coals if it got too high that I couldn't get much wood in. And always kept the ash pan emptied. And there is only one elbow. It has an 8" opening in the back so we assumed it needed 8" pipe.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2013 :  4:43:26 PM  Show Profile
Just checked with dh. He said that oak can take a long time to dry. So other than cedar which should be used as kindle along with dry pine, it sounds like you're burning wet wood which will not get hot enough to burn anything. Therefore, that is where you are getting the smoldering even if the pipes are clean. Those CPR logs are an band aid for a plugged chimney and doesn't replace actual sweeping and chimney inspection. Trying getting some dry wood and see if that works. If it doesn't then look at the pipe size and the actual stove to ensure that it is properly installed and is not so air tight that wood won't burn.

Edited by - queenmushroom on Feb 03 2013 4:46:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2013 :  4:48:53 PM  Show Profile
Hope Ive helped. We've had too many house fires here in Maine this year.

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Does anyone have a wood stove? Help! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page