Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  4:17:53 PM  Show Profile
Can I join in on the fun? (I am still having computer problems-grrrrrr. It keeps kicking me off!!) I have some really cute fabric to turn into an apron!!
AHHHH-it's going to go again........
Bye!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  8:24:11 PM  Show Profile
I usually use Simplicity 5201 -- more of a smock type. I vary the pockets and trim depending on my mood. BUT it's 99 cent pattern day at Joanns this weekend for Butterick and McCalls and I was thinking about buying Butterick 6567. Anyone use that one or have another favorite to recommend? I'm looking for a full apron on the order of the no-frills frilly apron in MJF.

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  05:06:03 AM  Show Profile
I have the 1940s Calico Cat Apron Pattern. My old college friend asked me to make her twin daughters the child's apron this spring. She told me I could keep the pattern when they were completed and sent to her. The children look so cute in it. I bought a green calico to make the adult apron and never got around to it. Now I am going t ocommit to making it starting next week. I ahve to finish my rag quilt this week. I can't wait to try it out. Thanks for inspiring me to check my stash of patterns.

By the way I love a simplicity apron pattern that shows a drawing of the lady wearing it in two lengths. It crosses in the back and can be knee length or dress length. It is really lovely in a large floral in dress length. I have used that one for years. I got the child sized one as well. I believe they still make it. My friend who has a farm says it is her favorite one, pockets to hold the one egg you find and pretty enough to make you feel special in it. I don't have the number handy right now. I will have to search my rubbermaid container i nthe cellar for it. I want to make it again anyways so I should search it out later this week.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  05:22:35 AM  Show Profile
Ok. I found those apron patterns. They are Simplicity 7481 (Adult) and 7856. This is a full coverage apron that crosses in the back, dress length or knee length for adult and only knee length for child. It is very easy to make with only twi pieces and self made bias tape to cover the edges. You buy quite a bit of yardage for both, so look for fabric on sale. It is sized for S-XL. If you trace your size out in tracing paper (buy it at an art suppley store on 24" rolls for around $20), you can have all the sizes.(Child)

I also use McCalls 8512 for the half apron. I have never gotten around to making it the bib style one, but the half apron is nice and full with a couple of pockets.

I bought McCalls 2811 as it is in their Retro Collection, 1950s style aprons. I have to make one yet before I can really recommend it.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  05:47:53 AM  Show Profile
I'd like to be in this swap too, if it isn't closed yet.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  06:09:45 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, yes, since they will be due in January, I would like to share this as well! I'm really working on the girls in our MJ's group to get going on aprons! I just love them!

Thanks for organizing this!

fondly, gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

Norma
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Norma
Texarkana AR
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  06:37:33 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Norma's MSN Messenger address
Me, too! Me, too! Count me in; I'll be happy to make my partner whatever type of apron she wishes!! I looooooooooooove the aprons -- thanks in advance for including me! Hope everyone has a happy week! It's wonderfully rainy here in northeast Texas today. Wish I were home!!

Hugs,
Norma
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  12:59:58 PM  Show Profile
Hello Everyone!
I just joined up and I would love to be a part of this swap.
How exciting!
Faith
Go to Top of Page

jellyq
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Angie
Atlanta GA
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  4:20:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi all, another newbie here. I just had my machine overhauled and am dying to make something. Any chance I could join in the fun?
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  9:34:24 PM  Show Profile
Wow what a good group we have. Here is the list so far.
Norna
Berries
KTknits
Gaias Rose
Candismom
Clare
Aunt Jenny
Farm Kitty
Cynthia Louise
Tziporra
The Rusticcottage
Suzyhomemaker
Bybiddie
Sleepless Reader
Celticheart
Vintagechica
Newheart
Mum of 3
Faithymom
JellyQ
Jaimigirl
Wood Bee Farm Girl
Babs
Rock -N- Hoer

Is there anyone else?

Happy sewing,
Elizabeth

Edited by - candismom on Oct 19 2006 11:30:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

jaimigirl
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Jaimi
Sequim WA
15 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  10:14:37 PM  Show Profile
Holy Mackeral! I was looking for my reply (Newbie) and didn't see it. If it's not too late I'd like to sign up, also. Jaimi Girl
Go to Top of Page

Wood Bee Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Joanne
Folsom California
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  11:57:57 AM  Show Profile
I am so excited, I can hardly type! Actually I hardly can anyway; so please overread my typos as "hypos", excitedly hyper! I just joined last evening after a friend lent me her latest MJF magazine featuring aprons, which I delight in collecting. Wow, this is too fun, reading all your notes!! I want to join this exchange, add me to the list. I have a little collection of both vintage and current patterns, however my favorite is the Symplicity, Daisy Kingdom pattern 7481. I have made this one several times as gifts and it is so sweet and charming. I have not yet ordered MJF patterns but plan too, naturally since consuming her mag issue. How nice and very special for her to include patterns in the issue! I especially want to make the Lollipop apron as I remembered a cute piece of pink paisley fabric I have in my stash. I already discovered pink velvet ribbon is not available here in the Sacramento fabric stores so I found it on the internet. I need the pattern so as to order the amount needed! This is too great, Thank you for such a fun idea! I did a sock exchange once and that was alot of work but I sure did get alot of adorable socks, even one pair with armadillos from a Texas friend. Just give me a partner and I'll be on my sewing machine! I love anything that looks or feels vintage, so I love adding handmaid trims or even doiles to pockets, etc. I have felt alittle like a fish in a puddle or even out of water sometimes with my styles and whimes, but I think I just jumped into the right pond for me!, Wood bee Farmgirl!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  5:53:28 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Joanne!! You FOR SURE are in the right pond here. You are going to fit RIGHT in!! We are all apron crazy here for sure! It will be fun to get to know you!!
Be sure to go over to the Welcome Wagon forum and introduce yourself..not everyone will see your post here and we will all want to welcome you!!! I am glad you found us!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  10:28:02 PM  Show Profile
Joanne -- welcome!! You're going to fit in great -- you love to sew and you're addicted to fabric!

Handmade purses and bath delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  05:10:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Joanne. It is so nice to have you join the group. I lvoe to talk with other women who love to create, especially through sewing and quilting. We are going to have a lot of fun with this forum and the friendships made. Check out the Barter Section for a Christmas swap going on.

Clare

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  08:36:25 AM  Show Profile
We have an even number now so I am going to close this round. I will post partners later next week.
Start your machines ladies.:)
Hugs,
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

rock-n-hoer
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Sarah
Marietta GA
5 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  09:44:51 AM  Show Profile  Send rock-n-hoer a Yahoo! Message

Is there any more room on this? I'd love to join in.

Art, as far as it has the ability, follows nature, as a pupil imitates his master, so that art must be, as it were, a descendant of God. - Dante
Go to Top of Page

babs
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Babette
MN
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  5:35:37 PM  Show Profile
I think she closed it, but if you want to join, then I can, and it's still an even number. ;)

Babs

Country Egg
www.countryegg.com
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  11:29:42 PM  Show Profile
Yes I can add you two. That will still make it an even number.
Thanks,
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  08:48:27 AM  Show Profile
I now have 78 aprons....just wanted to update you all ;)

I am finishing two today, making 80, and I am also finishing Nancy Jo's Edwardian today as well....

This is a sickness. I just wish I had space to display them ALL!

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  12:53:51 PM  Show Profile
Oh Tasha, you need pictures to share, and maybe a wall for framed pictures. Think how beautiful that would be. A whole display of your work! I can hardly wait. Our Strawberry Butters Farmgirl Chapter is making aprons too, and the quilt shop where we meet is putting up an "apron rack" so we can hang them on!!!! So excited! I would love to see all yours Tasha!

Better addicted to sewing aprons than........

love, hugs, and strawberries, gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  1:08:17 PM  Show Profile
Tasha,
80 aprons!!! you do know that is a lot of aprons? If you can stand to part with them, you could sell a few, or it seems to me you could put a really big dent in your christmas list.Where do you keep them all? You should have one whole wall with hooks and hang them all up. I would love to see that on your blog.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  3:53:22 PM  Show Profile
80???? Do you want to consign some at our Farmgirl's Christmas Boutique????

Handmade purses and bath delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  4:19:00 PM  Show Profile
nope. I am too fond of all of them and I am too attached to them. I keep them mostly stored in clear boxes, and I rotate them on the hooks I do have up. I have my standards that I wear all the time and those only change once they are too thin and worn to wear anymore.

I am just serioiusly attached to aprons. I can't stop making them or buying them...most of my collection is purchased. I think of the aprons, maybe 20 are made by me. I have two right now that I made that I don't want to keep. that rose one that I posted on my blog as well as the pillow case 1/2 apron. That is my new thing, pillowcase aprons...love it!

It's a sickness. a sad sad wonderful sickness....

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Wood Bee Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Joanne
Folsom California
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2006 :  2:22:11 PM  Show Profile
Ahh, how sweet this is, to be so kindly welcomed! While reading through the posted messages I sense the deep joys being shared between kindred spirits! We are each tied to the apron strings of our past. Womenfolk of each era, with the same God given gifts to love, to make a home, to have children, to be creative with our hands both for useful and decorative purposes. Our Mothers, Grand, Great and Great-Great, we thank you all from our hearts! Even those of us who may not have had a personal experience, we still have that same deep heart knowing of heritage just because we are here! Is it any wonder we fall in love with the reminders of our heritage. Aprons especially remind of us so many things that surround the feminine displays of family love. We, who love so very very many of the same things are much like sisters, friends for always. Put any two or three of us in the same room alone for even a week with no TV, radio or extra curricular entertainment and we would not lack for things to talk, laugh or cry about! This would just be the time to "get acquainted", then on we could always pick up from there and go on, no matter the time that passes, nor the miles between us, we are tied together at the heart by those loving apron strings from the women in our pasts. Ahh, how sweet it is to be farmgirls at heart!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Apron Swap Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page