Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Anyone ever grow a Venous Orange tree ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Anyone ever grow a Venous Orange tree ? Next Topic  

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  4:38:01 PM  Show Profile
I purchased one almost a year ago and it has produced 5 little oranges. I picked one yesterday it appeared to be ripe and soft when I squeezed it. I peeled it and put a piece in my mouth and I almost choked to death. That thing was the sourest thing I have ever put in my mouth. I couldn't even get my mouth open wide enough to spit it out is was spasming so bad . I had to rake it out with my finger. I was not expecting that at all.

I love to eat sweetarts and sour stuff but this was over the top. What can I do with this fruit? Can it be used in cooking or is it just something you grow and look at? I thought they would taste more like an orange not like an atomic sour orange.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  4:59:20 PM  Show Profile
Linda: How long have the oranges been on the tree? We have satsuma oranges and after the middle of January they get sour tasting. That was funny, "an atomic sour orange."
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  5:54:46 PM  Show Profile
I guess they have been on the tree since october. Thats when they started forming. They started turning orange about 4 weeks ago and they have been totally orange for at least 2 weeks. I waited until they were a little soft to the squeeze like a regular orange before I tried tasting it. I have tried researching online and have not come up with much except they are small, juicy and tart. I think they should explain the tart part like on a scale from 1 to atomic sour.

I am going to look into a different drawf orange that is labeled sweet.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Anyone ever grow a Venous Orange tree ? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page