FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  08:42:19 AM  Show Profile
I ordered my seeds for this year since just about everything we saved was lost to the fire. I was going to order from Baker's Creek, but decided to give their new acquisition, Comstock-Ferre, a try. I found that the seeds were packaged in smaller quantities and priced accordingly, which is a good thing. Because the prices were a bit cheaper, I was able to purchase a few more items. The smaller seed amounts makes it easier to try something new. Shipping was super cheap as well.

They also have beautiful art on the seed packets and sent a surprise freebie for me to try.

I can hardly stand it - I want to plant something! My DH was even trying to figure out where we can set up our 'nursery' without the cats getting in it.

After the construction was done on the house, we didn't seed the front 'lawn'. We decided that we are going to have raised beds instead of grass. Luckily we are in an area where people don't really care what we do. We are going to put up a fence to keep 2-legged and 4-legged marauders out. I guess the biggest issue I have with the garden is deciding what to put where.

Anyone know who has the best free garden planning program?

Lora

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  12:09:12 PM  Show Profile
WOW! You are REALLY on the ball, Lora! Kudos to you! I haven't even pulled out my notes from last year yet to help me plan! You ROCK!!! - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  12:25:36 PM  Show Profile
awww thanks.

Lora

Go to Top of Page

LBP
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Linda
Goodview VA
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  1:24:42 PM  Show Profile
I ordered from Baker Creek and have already gotten my order! I went to Home Depot today and they have Burpee seeds already out. $21.00 later, I was out the door!

Come visit me at:

http://lbpsews.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  8:55:32 PM  Show Profile
Lora, I'm like you, I can't wait to get back in the yard to plant seeds, plants, etc.... Good luck in the spring. You'll have to post pictures of your flowers for us to see.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2013 :  06:55:05 AM  Show Profile
Hobby Farms has some great stuff on their website and I think it includes garden plans. I am just getting back started and an going to buy my supplies for raised beds this weekend. I live in southern Mississippi so I am getting started outside this weekend! I am going to check out Baker Creek as a resource, thanks for sharing.

It's all good!

http://mscountrygirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2013 :  08:52:10 AM  Show Profile
ooooo, Michelle - I am so jealous! I'm in North Central Indiana and we still have ice and snow! Supposed to rain for about 5 days then get cold again. Weatherman says 60 on Saturday and 30 by Wednesday.

Lora

Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2013 :  11:32:41 AM  Show Profile
Its been real overcast but warm today. This Sunday we'll have our raised beds in place and by the end of next week most of our stuff will be planted. I am cheating this year and ordering plants because I have got a late start this year.

It all comes back to the ground!

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2013 :  06:53:05 AM  Show Profile
You girls are such teases! I have so long to wait...I'm just jealous.

Good luck. Hope it is a wonderful season for everyone.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2013 :  08:55:17 AM  Show Profile
Lora,

I was just logging on because I was so excited...just ordered my seeds from Bakers Creek, and saw your post, so I thought I'd just drop a line here. I can't wait to get them!!! I ordered some goodies that I have not used before. It's my first time ordering from them. Lora, what did you order? Do tell....

As for Comstock-Ferre, they are located here in Connecticut! They have a retail shop. I'm planning on a day trip out there one day. Any farmgirls wanna come with me ;)?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2013 :  3:51:51 PM  Show Profile
If I lived closer Nicole I would be the first one to raise my hand...

It all comes back to the ground!

Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2013 :  12:50:18 PM  Show Profile
I'm at work, but when I get home I will list what I ordered. I normally do order from Baker's Creek but figured since they own C-F now - I would give that a shot this year. We are busy planning the layout for the front yard. I started drawing it on graph paper the other night and my new kitty, Puma, kept attacking the pencil. I had to quit for awhile to play with her and make her tired. Silly cat!

Lora

Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2013 :  12:56:18 PM  Show Profile
Ok - not as fast as I thought....Here's what I ordered from Comstock-Ferre:
Country Gentleman and Golden Bantam corn, Strawberry popcorn, Bloomsdale spinach, Winter Luxury Squash, Counnecticut field pumpkin,Detroit Dark red beets, Giant White Stuttgart onion, Paris White and New York 12 Lettuce, Long Island improved Brussels Sprouts, Red Pear, Rutgers and Ponderosa tomatoes, Early Purple sprouting broccoli, Blue odded and Thomas Laxton peas, Tendergreen, Black Valentine and Lazy Wife beans, Golden Acre and Mammoth Red Rock cabbage, Blenheim Orange and Pineapple melons, Kolb's gem and scaly bark watermelon, Boston pickling cukes, King of the North and California Wonder peppers, Early White Vienna kohlrabi, Saint Valery (free) and Tendersweet carrots.
Herbs:
Dill, chives, sweet marjoram, sweet basil, broad leaf sage, thyme.
Flowers: Crimson cockscomb, giant perfection mixed stocks, Giant Dahlia mixed zinnia, Mammoth Russian sunflower.
I also got Joseph's Coat Amaranthus.
Whew - that's going to be a lot of planting - tee hee - good thing hubby is home all day!

Lora

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2013 :  4:15:46 PM  Show Profile
Sounds good!, Lora! i got my seeds very quickly. These wont be all I am planting, but this is the start and what I got from Baker Creek. I received Sugar Ann snow peas, quadrato peppers (light colored)' tomato black early, Rocky Top letttuce mix, lemon squash, emerald giant peppers, Hartsman's Yellow Gooseberry tomatoes, golden jubilee tomatoes, large barred boar tomatoes, and the one I'm most excited to try, Atomic red carrots. They also sent me Gypsy tomato seeds free. I also saved lots of my own seeds. I think I'm turning into a seed collector! Anyone else as excited about their seeds?

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

lovecatsandsunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Tara
Sands of Time SC
USA
274 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2013 :  4:55:24 PM  Show Profile
I'm waiting on a catalog from Baker Creek. I like growing my own flowers/veggies that are non gmo and heirloom. Hubby and I always had big garden, but we decided to down size. So that leaves me more room for flowers :). Neighbor's have honey bee's and I want them to come back to my garden. Nicole, I save seeds too. I'm saving money to buy seed. Bring on planting season!

Find something beautiful in everyday!
And STYX rocks!
Go to Top of Page

Katlady93
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

Charlotte
Denmark SC
USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2013 :  5:09:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Katlady93 a Yahoo! Message
i am so ready for spring and planting. i want to extent the herb garden and redo my perennial border.

if you are interested in Heirloom seeds, try Seed Savers. there catalog is fun to look through it is full of little tidbits about the varieties.

Some dreams are worth the risk it takes to make them real.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footsteps on the moon.
Go to Top of Page

BarnHeart
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Autumn
New Albany IN
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  6:16:13 PM  Show Profile
Lora - I love this site for planning!!! http://www.smartgardener.com/
It is awesome, and even reminds you what you need to do each day. Totally necessary for a mama of three who has only half a brain cell left. :D

I love wool! Visit my website at www.heartfeltwool.com to see my creations!
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  09:49:17 AM  Show Profile
lol...That sounds like me! Thanks!

www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Ordered and Rec'd my seeds! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page