True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  3:12:21 PM  Show Profile
Marly,
That is the coolest photo. I have never known a bird would swim with that much of its body submerged. It must be something to see. And I am astounded at how many turtles you have. It is so different from what I am used to. Which, right now, is snow, snow and a bit of snow. We are at 33 degrees so I guess I should include some mud. Thanks for sharing the photo. I really enjoyed it.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  4:00:28 PM  Show Profile
Great Black Cormorant is what this bird is. WE had these in Florida too. They have no natural oils to shed water so they have to sit with their wings out to dry them.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  4:52:24 PM  Show Profile
Linda: Our lake is fairly large. The Anhinga (Snake Bird) hasn't diminished the fish population. I don't think it should concern your hubby. There are three or four Anhingas that live in the lake and we have plenty of fish. I'm happy you saw the post and discovered your own Snake Bird. Take a picture, if you can, and share it with us. I'd love to see it.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  6:02:01 PM  Show Profile
I stand corrected sorry about that I was given bad info some 30 years ago when we lived in Florida.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  8:50:16 PM  Show Profile
Diane, maybe that's what they were called in Florida. Before I knew what they were called, I referred to them as a Gros Isle Growbeck! I made up the name. LOL.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  10:16:36 PM  Show Profile
Here is another lake picture with no Snake Bird and no turtles. Take a look, you'll understand why. My Pepper cat decided she wanted either to have her picture taken on the log, or she decided she wanted the Snake Bird or a turtle! Miss Pepper loves the lake. I have four outside cats, but Pepper is the only water cat. LOL. She is a sweetie! The more I look at the picture, the more I think Pepper just wanted me to take a picture of her on the log.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  06:59:36 AM  Show Profile
What a wonderful way to start the day....seeing 2 pictures of sweet kitties.....yours and Laura's Dandelion. I'm thinking you're right, Marly. Pepper must have wanted her picture taken because she's posing purrrrfectly!

Emily
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  08:11:57 AM  Show Profile
Love Miss Pepper she is really cute she did want her picture taken. Marly I got my info on the bird from Fish and Game when we lived in Florida. I thought they would want to know that there was an alligator in the pond next to the house we were living in turns out alligators in ponds in Florida are as common as Deer in gardens in Idaho but being a new Mom I thought they would want to drain the pond and get the gator and move him . Or at least that is what I wanted them to do.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  08:47:03 AM  Show Profile
Diana, I don't think they would drain the pond. But they would trap it. There are alligators in our lake. We are always on the watch for them. There were three huge male alligators once, but they are out of the lake now. But when the water comes up, here they come again!
Marly

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  09:09:13 AM  Show Profile
Marly I really thought the gator would come in my house and eat my child that is why the call to fish and game I never would have made it very long in the South the bugs the snakes the gators the frogs YUK!!!!!! We were only there for 6 months thank you the gods of jobs.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Snake Bird & Turtles Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page