Page: of 2

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2013 :  8:47:37 PM  Show Profile
This is one of three Snake Birds that suns itself almost every afternoon. It lifts its wings and sits there for about an hour just drying off! Its real name is Anhinga, also called a Water Turkey bird. But we refer to it as the Snake Bird because it swims under water and its head is sticking out. One would think it's a snake. The first time I saw it that is exactly what I thought it was. It has a huge wing span. When it lands on the floating log, none of the turtles move. They are used to the Snake Bird.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Gladstone Mi.
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  04:46:49 AM  Show Profile
What a wonderful picture!!!! I love turtle, used to have a pool with 11 of them in. That picture would be great on a calender page.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  05:44:24 AM  Show Profile
That is a cool pic Marly. A snake bird, how cool! Never knew of such a thing! The turtles are so cute too. How interesting it must be for you to be able to see all the various wildlife that comes to drink with water so close.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.nmbarrelhorses.com
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  06:13:13 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Marly, what a precious picture...not only because it is a well done picture but because it captures some of the essence of Louisiana. The Spanish Moss from the trees lightly flowing in the wind and the current of the bayou give off such a peaceful, lazy feeling.

I love living in Texas, everything about it. But, I sure do miss my roots. I grew up on the Bayou Teche and had my own pirogue that I'd paddle up and down the bayou checking my crab lines and having imaginary journeys in my mind. Gosh, I'm tearing up....such sweet memories.

Thank you for sharing the pic.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  06:36:34 AM  Show Profile
Marly,
Love this picture! Thank you.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  06:54:01 AM  Show Profile
Oh Marly love the picture!

Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!

Silly Boys Trucks Are For Girls
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  08:34:17 AM  Show Profile
Janet, if you'd like more turtles, the lake is full of them. I'll catch a few for you, but you'll have to come and get them. LOL
Laura, I love seeing and hearing the Snake Bird. Her call is like a low pitched frog. When my outside cats hear her call, they run under the deck.
Catherine, you have described my area perfectly. I love getting in the boat and just paddling down the lake.
Thanks Diane and Marlee. I had to creep up to the lake to take this picture. I've tried before, but the Snake Bird would take off.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  10:53:57 AM  Show Profile
OOOh cool bird. I love different birds. I'll have to google it. But that really is a fabulous picture. You did a great job at capturing it.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.nmbarrelhorses.com
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  11:13:07 AM  Show Profile
The Snake Bird is also referred to as the Turkey Bird. Not sure why.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

shanda
True Blue Farmgirl

522 Posts

Shanda
Broken Bow OK
USA
522 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  1:27:19 PM  Show Profile
wonderful picture, really cool. Thanks for sharing.

Shanda

Farmgirl #4233
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  7:03:05 PM  Show Profile
Really cool picture Marly!
Thanks for sharing it!Love the scenery, but would not want to be around snakes or alligators....oh no, couldnt do it!

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  8:12:53 PM  Show Profile
I really like this picture too.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  8:48:54 PM  Show Profile
Marly, How big is that bird, the size of wild turkey? I have never heard of one. Great picture.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  8:59:14 PM  Show Profile
Kennie Lyn, about the size of a small turkey. It's a really big bird. It's wing span is huge! We have three of them that live around the lake. I've seen them catch fish, hit the fish on the log, and eat it whole.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  9:51:52 PM  Show Profile
Marly! I want your back yard!! I love it! So beautiful! Thanks for sharing the picture! The bird is amazing and I can't get over all of the turtles lined up on the log!

Emily
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  06:13:04 AM  Show Profile
Marly, it does look like a snake. But it's really pretty. All those turtles all lined up are so amazing. I'm glad I looked now. And that house is so pretty.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  06:28:12 AM  Show Profile
What a wonderful photo, Marly--really reminds me of visiting family in Louisiana when I was small, all that moss hanging and the water. Those turtles are so orderly--I always get a kick out that and that bird is just too gorgeous. I could totally see how it's neck would be seen as a snake--do they eat fish, then? I guess that's why, a bit of a ruse.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  07:35:17 AM  Show Profile
thank you what a fine view you have. as kris says wonderful farm t.v. out your door. happy days to you

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  09:04:30 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, they do eat fish! Do you still have family in Louisiana?
Marly

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  09:08:48 AM  Show Profile
I do, somewhere, Marly. My last Great Aunt (Audra) died a few years back, but her extended family is still there. My dad was born in Tioga, Rapides Parish and had family all the way to Baton Rouge.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  5:22:32 PM  Show Profile
Emily, you can come over and see the back yard any time! Today, all the turtles were lined up and my outside cat, Pepper, decided she wanted to sit with them. She found a way to get on the log, and all the turtles fell off. She was looking around trying to find them. It was a hoot.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  6:23:38 PM  Show Profile
I may be showing up uninvited just to sit and watch the beautiful wildlife, just amazing...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  8:18:21 PM  Show Profile
Tina, you may show up any time! You will never be not invited. For you, my good friend, there will always be an open invitation! Always. I can see you and I sitting and chatting about all the wildlife and many other things. Hugs to you.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  10:09:01 PM  Show Profile
Marly, that sounds wonderful! I'll wait until the humidity is down though. Between you and I, that would be too much hair goin on! Lol! :)

Your silly cat cracks me up and I bet it was funny to see!

I'm thinking glamping trip to Marly's back yard!! Whoo hoo!

Em
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  09:23:04 AM  Show Profile
You'll be waiting a while, Emily!!!! The humidity in SW Louisiana is an on-going thing! I'll try to post the picture of Miss Pepper on the log in the lake. Hugs.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  2:40:23 PM  Show Profile
Marly, read your post the other night, thinking how interesting. We also have a lake about 1 1/2 acres, and we have a tree down,and the turtles rest on it. Never saw the snake bird, tho, until today, I went down to the lake with the dog, and something splashed in the lake, I was standing on the pier, and it got up and flew, and it circled 5 times, and twice, it flew real close to me,, it really scared me I thought that it was going to attack me. It settled back down in the water, and then started looking like a snake on the water, and then went under only to resurface about 20or 30 foot away. Wow!! I called my hubby to come to the lake, and he came, and we watched it for about 30 minutes, never to get up and fly, just swim under water. I told hubby, I just read that one of the farmgirls had posted, and I thought she called it a snake bird. that is exactly what it looked like. I was so excited, I can't believe, that we have one too. It finally got up and flew away, to a bigger lake that is on the fishing camp about 300 acres. I hope that it comes back. Just wanted to say thanks for posting your picture and story, and its strange how, a few days later, I got to personally see one to. I am going to
research and see if they are naturally here, or blown in on the wind, you know how bad the wind has been. Thanks again, oh my hubby hates they eat fish. We feed our fish April thru September,
and we know we have some large ones. Farmgirl# 946 Linda
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Snake Bird & Turtles Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page