True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2013 :  06:41:15 AM  Show Profile
http://kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com/2013/01/to-market-to-market.html

If anyone is near me and would like some good lamb, please let me know.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2013 :  09:21:08 AM  Show Profile
Good luck, Kris.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2013 :  09:49:14 AM  Show Profile
I think I am bartering a half lamb for some hay! That's a good deal to me. I'll be making money with one half so that'll pay for processing fees. Plus some in the freezer for us.

Thanks Marly!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2013 :  4:29:25 PM  Show Profile
It's costing $65 for the lamb that is getting some sausage made from it and $60 for the other one. That's $125 that I have to pay for processing 2 lambs. I am selling a half for $150 and bartering 37 bales of hay for the other half. I've got several pounds sold so far at $5 a pound. But I am not making much money on these lambs. How do people make money doing this? There is a farm in Tn. near here called Sequatchie Cove Farm that sells grass fed pork, lamb and beef. I get emails from them when they are selling their meat. A half lamb is $150 and it's only about 20 pounds of meat. I don't know if I did this right. I thought $150 was really high but didn't figure the processing fee of $60. He used to be $45 for lambs and goats. I really want to be able to make money doing this. But I think live animals would be a bigger profit.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2013 :  8:48:43 PM  Show Profile
learn to process yourself, cutting out that cost will save you lots in a year...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  06:16:44 AM  Show Profile
I just might have to. I have a friend who could do the killing. He doesn't have the saws though that make the good cuts. I could get those too. And learn how to get the right cuts. I can chop off a chicken head and do the whole chicken in about 5 minutes now. But killing a furry critter I can't do. I am going to have to build a little processing building before I do any more animals. So I'll have plenty of time. And if we did this, I'd like to have a few pigs to do as well. I am selling most of what I have, so there is a market for my meats here. I'd just like to be making a profit at it. I think the live animals would be a better profit if I am taking them to the butcher and have to pay that fee.

So thanks, Miss Tina. That is something to think about for me. I'll see if I can find people who are interested in teaching me these skills. Like some Mennonites. I do know a family near here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  08:39:25 AM  Show Profile
Wow Kristin butcher a chicken in 5 minutes. If you don't mind doing it there may be a market for you to do it for other people. I would pay someone to butcher mine. I have 8 and sheesh...I cant stand to do it. But then I can barely kill a spider. But the butchering part is what I really find hard. The guts and all, just cant hardly cut it. Soo I try to sell them and they eat me out of house and home cause I live too far from everywhere. It takes all day just to go sit in front of the store 30 miles away and try to sell them...ugh. I admire your talent. Maybe you should open a slaughterhouse, you could hire people to do the things you dont want to.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.nmbarrelhorses.com
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  12:05:28 PM  Show Profile
Man, Kris - If we lived closer, I'd definitely want to buy some lamb!!! Good luck to you! They're beauties! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  3:49:03 PM  Show Profile
I have 1 1/2 sold! And maybe a little bit more too. That was fast. A friend said she needs to get in this business. I told her I'd sell her a starter flock real soon.

Laura, butchering chickens doesn't bother me at all. I'd have to have someone else kill the lambs and goats or even pigs. But it looks like that's the way to go here if I really want to make a profit with this.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  5:02:38 PM  Show Profile
Good Luck Kris- Sounds like you are a well rounded farmgirl, and that you WILL turn a profit in the end!
Always enjoy your blog posts! So interesting at your place!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2013 :  07:01:55 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Laurie! I appreciate that a lot. I love to blog and sometimes wonder if anyone reads my posts.

I always worry about selling my meats. Then end up selling all of it. I went ahead and called the butcher and changed the cuts on the whole lamb so I'll have more to sell to people who just wanted a little. I so hope my ewes have lots of ram lambs this year. Last year just had 3 from 5 ewes. All had single births too. This time those ewes look really dig so I hope they all have at least twins. I need more lambs! And I think I make more $ selling by the pound.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Going to market Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page