jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2013 :  4:00:12 PM  Show Profile
I went to get my hair cut this morning, I have gone to church with this woman for years. The shop is in another woman's basement and she also runs a horse boarding business. On my way to enter the shop, I passed her fenced in field of chickens, goats and 2 donkeys. Of course, I had to stop to admire and pet the animals. During my cut, I told her of my future plans. She proceed to tell me about all the local animal auctions and offered to take me to one next week. YEAH!!! Next week is also the PA Farm Show. So what a week I have. I cannot bring home any animals (yet).

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2013 :  4:33:17 PM  Show Profile
Great for you. Enjoy your trip to the animal auctions. Hopefully, soon, you will be able to bring a few animals home. Keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2013 :  04:21:48 AM  Show Profile
Don't you love how farmgirls are connected in so many ways? Even in haircuts. Even though you're not ready to take animals home, it's good to attend the auctions....you can learn a bunch by watching the animals, learn about the regulars that sell there and especially about who has a bad reputation of bringing sick animals.
Have fun!!!

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2013 :  05:47:30 AM  Show Profile
I am looking forward to going to the auctions. This is such an opportunity to learn.
I expect most of the people there to be Amish. They'll know their farm animals.
I started looking into the best type of dog to add to my minifarm. I found
a sign outswide an Amish Farm for Shelties. I looked them up at home and they
seem to be an ideal dog for me. I am looking for a medium size dog, firendly with herding instincs. Any advice?
I

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2013 :  08:09:51 AM  Show Profile
My dad always had Shelties. I would love to have one some day again. They are beautiful dogs. Just be careful at auction-sale barns. Make sure you can see the whole animal and be able to check them out. Like feet and teeth. Make sure you can see their rear ends too. In goats you want to see round smooth poop pellets. You do not want to see runny poop or any sign that they have had runny poop. Their tails should be nice and clean. Their fur should be shiny. Look at their hooves. You don't want a goat or sheep with cracked hooves or really overgrown hooves. And watch them walk too. Too many times, people bring their sick, old unhealthy animlas to sales to get rid of. They are only passing on their bad animals to other people. AND if you already have animals and buy some from a sale, make sure you keep the new animals separated for at least 2 weeks. Never ever put new animals in with your existing animals before a quarinteen period to be checked for health issues. There are so many things to be cautious about when going to sales. I bought a group of chickens once and when I got them home, there were at least half of them sick. I will never go to an auction or sale barn again. I'm sure an Amish sale is a whole lot cleaner and better than the one we had here. But be careful Take someone with you who knows good farm animals!!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2013 :  08:14:39 AM  Show Profile
Forgto to add that TEETH are a major factor. And nice pink gums and eye lids. If they have white gums and eye lids, they have a parasite problem. You also don't want to see ribs, of course. But you don't want a really FAT animal either. Unless of course it is pregnant. But teeth would be the #1 think to check. You'd want them to have all their teeth. Goats and sheep do not have top teeth, so don't be alarmed when you don't see top teeth. Just some friendly advice for you to consider when going to sales and auctons.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2013 :  7:49:17 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kris,
Those are some of the reasons that I want to start looking now. This way when I am ready to buy I will have acquired some knowledge. I think I have made up my mind on the Sheltie. They sound like an ideal dog for my needs.

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2013 :  9:12:42 PM  Show Profile
Can't wait to see a picture of your future dog!!!! Good luck.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Serendipity Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page