Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Another Dutch Oven Question Next Topic  

hawkin_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

Micah
Austin Texas
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2012 :  12:53:20 PM  Show Profile  Send hawkin_farmgirl an AOL message  Send hawkin_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
My dutch oven has been out of commission for the past two months or so. Mainly because I've been using my crock pot 90% of the time. :P

Well, we're thinking about going camping soon and I'd like to take it. I read somewhere or was told that if your dutch oven is seasoned and has been used, but hasn't been used recently, to cook bacon in it, remove anything meaty, and slather the insides with the grease. Then use shortening to grease the lid and the outside.

I honestly cannot remember where I read/heard this information. Does this sound like a good idea? Or should I re-season it any at all with shortening?

Now if I can just get my lazy husband in gear so we can go!

*Micah*
Farmgirl Sister #1478
http://pinterest.com/miss_micahp/
http://misadventuresofamicah.tumblr.com/

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2012 :  5:41:52 PM  Show Profile
Yes and always they only stay as seasoned as you keep them.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2012 :  12:49:28 PM  Show Profile
My Dutch ovens go months between uses, but as long as they were seasoned to begin with, I just start using them. As always I heat them up before greasing them, then add the food. I really think people make too big a deal about seasoning. You can do it whenever they start sticking. I also wash mine with soap sometimes, but usually I just boil water to get off the really stuck on stuff. I had a flat bottomed Dutch oven, a new one that kept sticking, so I started deep frying in it. That seasoned it better than anything I have ever tried.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Another Dutch Oven Question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page