Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 A pony-mule just arrived for Smokey
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic A pony-mule just arrived for Smokey Next Topic  

newfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Janis
Baker WV
101 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2012 :  5:19:44 PM  Show Profile
Many of you have adviced me to think of getting a companion for Smokey (the dappled gray Arabian with a broken back). Well, Winston has arrived and the two are getting along great. Winston is people shy and stays a distance, but has been coming up to me for a treat. He never had a barn so he took his feed into his mouth and then went out the door to chew it. Tonight he stayed in to eat. Progress. Any suggestions about mules or learning tools, much appreciated. Jan

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2012 :  8:27:34 PM  Show Profile
Wonderful with the progress. Hugs to Smokey and Winston.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2012 :  8:45:25 PM  Show Profile
How cute, pics please!
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2012 :  06:48:34 AM  Show Profile
Yes, please post photos!!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.

"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
"A meal of bread, cheese and beer constitutes the perfect food." --Queen Elizabeth I
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2012 :  6:17:00 PM  Show Profile
It won't take long for Winston to come around--mules are smart and learn quickly. Glad that Smokey has a companion!
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

newfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Janis
Baker WV
101 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2012 :  6:35:08 PM  Show Profile
These two seem to be getting along fine. Winston curiously watches me groom Smokey, but stays within a safe range. The other day I took Smokey out of the barn with her new halter(which fits much better) to practice walking with me on a lead rope. She is doing much better. I like to walk her in the driveway which is much more level ground and treeless, unlike their yard. Winston went nuts and starting running all over the yard and rolling. She seemed terrified. I brought Smokey back immediately into the barn and Winston immediately calmed down. I suspected he was fearful he was being left alone. Not sure what to do about this in the future, but for now, I will not cause him any reason to feel insecure.

Edited by - newfarmgirl on Dec 17 2012 7:41:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

newfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Janis
Baker WV
101 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2012 :  6:59:52 PM  Show Profile

This is Smokey and her new companion, Winston. I must learn how to take better photos of him. He seems all head and little body, but his body looks like two half barrels on each of his sides. He is a bit too fat!
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2012 :  05:02:14 AM  Show Profile
How cute. My daughter wants a donkey.

Farmgirl #800
My Life: http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/
Recycle Ideas: http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
The Family Farm Store: http://roosterscrowfarm.blogspot.com/
My Photography: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2012 :  09:26:45 AM  Show Profile
Aww they are both cute. I like fat mules. He will be your buddy soon once he adjust. Congrats.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2012 :  12:29:49 PM  Show Profile
Are you sure that is a donkey? She looks more like a mule. If shes small maybe shes a shetland mule?
I am glad you are feeling more comfortable with getting Smokey Out for a little walk. When horses have separation anxiety one can start by tying the one left behind up so they cant run back and forth and get more worked up (although they can just be left in the pen too, as long as they cant jump out) and take the other one out and tying it up also or holding it nearby but out of sight for 15 minutes at a time and then work up the time separated. Also as Winston gets more used to your place she will learn to not be quite so insecure. But if the pen is secure and she can't jump out, cause mules are good at jumping, it is a good idea to teach them to be separated from the first so they won't form it as a habit from the first. I mean it is easier to set the standards from the first because they will only get more attached as time goes on. However if it makes you feel uncomfortable to separate them then you probably need to hire a trainer to work on it for you. They can carry on and be very disconcerting. It sounds to me like Smokey was very happy with just you as a buddy. Maybe two of them is a little too much for you right now? But you are the judge of that. Even the most knowledgeable expert isn't the expert of your life and what makes you happy :) I will say though that maybe a goat would be a more manageable companion for Smokey? But only if the pen and barn will contain the goat. Unlesss you want it on your front porch eating your flowers and trees...lol
Laura

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

newfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Janis
Baker WV
101 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2012 :  5:12:38 PM  Show Profile
Your right. He is a mule. I had called him a pony-mule. He is from a pony and donkey. Unfortunately, Winston is not very approachable, but that's okay with me. My friend who has had mules, donkeys and horses all her life knew when she first acquired him that he is very nervous with people. He has never hurt or kicked anyone, and will come for a treat. She does not know much about his history and felt sorry for him and took him as a companion mule. Unfortunately, she had to sell her farm and downsize, so she thought I might want him. Smokey seems indifferent but definitely the one in charge. I think it's good for her to be #1 for he first time in her life. Winston walks submissively near her and they share well. Tonight I gave Smokey a new tasting treat, and she didn't want Winston to have any so she kicked back towards him, but didn't get near her. Outside at the gate, I gave a treat to Winston and Smokey ignored it. She was back to her hay. I think in time, Winston will get more confident with me, but that's up to him. My friend and her husband (a farrier) are close by and are insisting as needed. They can get him into a trailer if needed and can do his feet. I'm glad to help another hurting creature who makes me laugh and teaches me much. I was a minister for many years, and without meaning to be too caustic, I can say animals seem more capable of love and grace than we humans normally are. And so capable of healing. Isnt' it wonderful that they have brought in "Comfort dogs" (trained for this purpose) to the people in Newtown, Conn.
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2012 :  5:57:26 PM  Show Profile
Yeah some of the nicest people I know are animals. You are going to have Winston so trusting I bet. So cool. I always tell my kids that some horses are an answer to prayer and sometimes we are an answer to their prayers.
Laura

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2012 :  2:28:03 PM  Show Profile
Winston is adorable.
I think you will have him trusting and calmed down in no time, just give him a bit to settle in.

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic A pony-mule just arrived for Smokey Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page