kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2012 :  07:33:53 AM  Show Profile
http://kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com/2012/12/just-look-at-size-of-that-belly-already.html

This goat is huge already and she's only 3 months along. I can't wait to see what she looks like in 2 more months. I'll have to change her name to Rotunda bu then!

What do y'all think, are there more than 2 kids in there?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2012 :  09:06:18 AM  Show Profile
Can't wait to find out how many kids she'll have!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2012 :  3:41:20 PM  Show Profile
oh my goodness kris. i just had a good smile. she is packing a wide load for sure. are you still milking her? she looks to be in great condition. is that the milk stanchion? sorry i never got back to you. thanks for the email. i have been crazy busy. still selling some animals. i still need to butcher my fryers. they are roasters now. i am starting on thursday. happy days for you.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2012 :  3:51:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sherrye! I've missed you here. Penelope is a first timer. Never been milked yet. I just started feeding her and Zarah Belle and Abby last night since they are all pretty far along now. She and Zarah have always just jumped right up on the stanchion. Penelope is really good when I am touching her udder but Zarah does not like it at all so far. So I'll start doing this every night now and get them used to eating on the stanchion and all that goes along with that. I think Penelope will be a great milker. I am so glad all my meat birds are done and gone! I'll probably get more in Spring but I will be using a chicken tractor next time for sure. So how are you these days? Has it gotten cold out there yet?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2012 :  4:14:42 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Oh my gosh! How many can they have at once? She looks like she is ready to deliver... lol (I bet she has three)

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2012 :  09:47:21 AM  Show Profile
Hard to say. I had one doe last year that looked huge I was sure for maybe triplets and she ended up having a single! I was so surprised.

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2012 :  12:51:03 PM  Show Profile
Being her first time to have kids, she might have a huge single. But sometimes these smaller does can have up to 4 or 5 at a time. I know Nigerians can. And Pygmys. But she is part Nubian and Lamancha and something else. She is a lot smaller than any of my goats and has always been small. That's why I waited til she was older to breed her. I was hoping she might grow a bit more, but I guess she's just going to stay small. That's ok. I am really impressed by her udder though. If it's this big now, it's going to be huge by the time she freshens. I just hope she has lots of milk and is easy to milk.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2012 :  3:17:00 PM  Show Profile
Was she a triplet herself Kristen? Sometimes they are smaller and take longer to grow. And more likely to have triplets too. Do you know how to deliver triplets. You probably do but just in case the key is that usually when there are more than 2 the first 2 try to come out at the same time and one has to determine which one is closer and gently push the other one back a bit and gently pull the other one. I had one that had 4 a couple of years ago. Also many times if a doe has twins the first time she has a good chance of having triplets or more in the following years. She's a cutie and such a cute name.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2012 :  3:21:55 PM  Show Profile
Just a little fact. When the doe is first bred one will see a little plumpness pop up after a couple of weeks or so. That is because the uterus is filled with the sacs, then the babies don't exceed gopher size till the last month, then they get a big growing spurt.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2012 :  4:16:53 PM  Show Profile
Laura, I have only had one doe to have triplets and that's been years ago. Only twins and singles latley. And if she gets any bigger, I don't think she'll be able to walk. She is a twin to another doe. And yes, I have had to help pull a few kids and lambs but not many. I try to stay out of the way as much as possible until I think it's gone on too long. Then I help if I think they need it. Really, only one doe had a hard time and I had to help her. But she was a loud whiny goat.

I am anxious to see how much bigger she'll get. So far, she is the biggest of them all. She was bred to my Boer buck, Arlo Guthrie. He is a really small buck too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2012 :  8:25:23 PM  Show Profile
How exciting Kris! I find it so fascinating to read and learn from all you gals. Here on my little slice of suburbia (3/4 acre) I only have hens for eggs, a rabbit for her natural fertilizer, and a dog and cat as part of the family. Someday I would love to have other animals. For now I live vicariously through you gals!
Good Luck with her!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2012 :  3:38:49 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Laurie. Sounds like you have a little farm going there. You don't have to have hundreds of acres to have a farm, right? I only have 3 acres with a few borrowed. I have had cows and pigs and a horse through the years here. Plus guineas, turkeys and ducks and rabbits. I would not be afraid to say you have a farm.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Penelope Jane Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page