Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic Stacking Firewood Next Topic  

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  08:49:00 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Last year Martin and the guys from church made me some lovely stacks of wood...they were lovely for a day or two and then started tilting and toppling. My father and grandfather make perfect, beautiful woodpiles that manage to keep the wood dry and remain up right. I knew there had to be a trick to it and since neither of them are much good at helping me out, I started looking around. I found this at MOM http://www.motherearthnews.com/Alternative_Energy/1994_October_November/The_Science_of_Wood_Stacking It's got some great info. We are going to restack ours into the Shaker round. Since winter weather in our area means lots of rain, that looks like the best method for keeping wood dry.

Hope this helps somebody. Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  8:42:19 PM  Show Profile
Trina - that is some good info - thanks! I do most of our heating during the winter with wood, but it's stacked in this huge "wood fence" dividing the house and driveway from the garden and orchard.

It's so funny to see how it progresses in the winter. I start the fall with a complete fence, and by the time it's spring, it looks like someone's just thrown a couple of logs back behind the house!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  11:05:15 PM  Show Profile
Oh we have a whole "science" of wood at my house! There are "frames" that hold exactly a cord and loosely resemble a wooden fence when filled. Our scouts have a "wood shed" with a display and neatly stacked piles of equal value for $5.00 a bundle. Their business has been growing the last two years and it's a great fundraiser for equipment for the troop. We always seem to get plenty of free donated trees, it's the splitting we need help with!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  04:51:47 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
We just had a couple of cords delivered yesterday...guess I'll be stacking all week! I love it though.

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  06:43:48 AM  Show Profile
Great link. Stacking firewood well has always alluded me. I'll definitely read the article. I may have to re-stack mine as well. Anybody know how to keep snakes out of the woodpile? We have that problem each year and it FREAKS me out! I just about died the first time I lifted the black tarp from the firewood pile and saw Mr. Snake snoozing. Again, may I say "."

"All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well."
Julian of Norwich
"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time."
James Taylor
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  07:15:26 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
LOL! Rebekah, I think the snakes are my boys favorite part of the woodpile! Last fall, when the guys were getting the wood split and stacked (the guys from church came to help since hubby was getting ready to deploy and it had to be done fast) they found a little black snake and turned it over to 3 boys ages 7-10. They brought it into the house and settled it into a new home with a mesh lid. Soon they lost intrest in the snake and wandered off...since a caged snake is rather boring. Well, this snake was rather ambitious and by the time they got back had pushed away the mesh covering on the jar and had moved into my window fan. He stayed there for three days and then disapeared. I spent about a month wondering if I was going to get a handful of snake everytime I reached into a drawer or cabinet.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  3:49:13 PM  Show Profile
Maybe it's because I am further north, but we don't get snakes in the woodpiles-we get SPIDERS They are huge-my boyfriend measured one that was sluggish from the cold at 5 inches across. I don't know what kind they are(definitly not daddy long legs), so we always just call them wood spiders.I know they aren't poisonous, but they are just so BIG I hate being near them!!
Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2006 :  11:10:09 AM  Show Profile
A FIVE-INCH SPIDER?!?!?!?!?!? I can hardly breathe thinking about that one... Oh, Jennifer... That would have me wearing my big elbow-length fireplace gloves for sure every time I went out to the woodpile!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Stacking Firewood Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page