Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2006 :  10:32:44 PM  Show Profile
I just picked up this book when I was at a REAL bookstore - I'm up visiting my parents who live in a city with bookstores - I miss them so (the bookstores....AND the parents!). Anyway, the book is called "Organic Housekeeping," by Ellen Sandbeck, and although I've just skimmed it, I think it's going to be a wonderful resource - sort of along the lines of Cheryl Mendelson's "Home Comforts" from a way more laid-back and organic position.

She advocates a "good-enough" standard of housekeeping and cleanliness, which, during this muddy season, and living on a farm with two boys (albeit one of them can't walk yet...), animals and a dog, "good-enough" is what I get if I'm lucky!

As I read through this one, I'll let you all know what I find - but on first scan, it's a worthwhile purchase and reference book.

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  05:33:07 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Libbie,
I added it to my wish list on half.com
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  08:48:48 AM  Show Profile
ooh..that sounds like one to look for for sure.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  09:57:10 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
It sounds like I could use that book too. Although, it gives my mom heart attacks to know I havent scrubbed my floor in over a month, I have learned to accept good enough (before kids I scrubbed EVERY day). Debi Pearl (a wise homeschooling mama) says on one of her tapes that as a young mother she realised that when her kids were grown they wouldn't remember if her house was messy, what they would remember is the time Mama spent with them. My kids and I school, work, and play together...sometimes our house looks like a tornado hit it, but it is sanitary and for me that is good enough.

Thanks for the tip, Libbie! I'll see if my local library has it or can get it in. Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  9:54:48 PM  Show Profile
This book sounds like a really good one.
I have heard a little about the "good enough" approach..I have been reading about yeast infections and a theory that all of the anti-bacterial soaps and instant sanitizer can contribute to candida..I guess being sterile isn't always best...*makes me feel better*

In MaryJanes book, she mentions that..."we don't have to have a sterile house for it to be healthy and clean"

Thanks Libbie..I will look for this book.
Kate

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  7:00:09 PM  Show Profile
I love it! I didn't realize I was just naturally part of a 'good enough' movement when it comes to house cleanliness and tidyness! yippeee. Count me in. I wonder where in the world we adopted the idea and the added pressure to have homes that were more like photo-studios and showcases than environments in which people actually live? Do we really want to eat off the floors? I can think of so many other things to do than keep an immaculate house, especially with my little ones running around. I love the organic housecleaning ideas too.. I never understood having products in the house that could poison the kids.. instead we have things that if they drank them, they would taste mighty icky (ie vinegar) and that's about it. Funny how clean, sanitary and sterile have become thoughts in our daily lives.....
Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  09:02:04 AM  Show Profile
I think organic housekeeping is what I have been doing all along! Yes, at times my house is messy and full of everyone's ongoing projects but we LIVE here! It isn't a museum and my kitchen is clean and we actually get intestinal illnesses alot LESS than some of the more fanatical "clean freaks". I have one neighbor who had a kitchen built in her basement because she didn't want cooking smells to permeate her house!(Her kids also aren't allowed to EVER sit in the living room, none of their toys are allowed out of their rooms and no shoes in the house).No wonder they always want to sleep over here!
I surprised she lets them! I have never had cleaning products that were harmful in the house probably because I am very sensitive to strong smells, but we have used things like TSP on occasion if necessary. Most of the Seventh Generation stuff is great and my guys tease me that if the Orange Glo ever goes off the market I will "be lost". The one place I am kooky about clean is the fridge and the bathroom, just can't let those areas slide!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  09:15:33 AM  Show Profile
I don't think you have to let them slide and still be organic about clenaing your bathroom and fridge. I use seventh gen products and a couple of other natural products from my local herbal store, and BORAX! Man alive do I love that stuff.

I love that you said what you did about LIVING in your home. I feel the same way. My MIL makes it seem like we are bloody heathens (well, we are in some respect) because our house is not like hers. Her house IS a museum filled with antiques and chair syou can't sit on and rooms you can't be in and blankets you can't use. OY! I keep a cob web in the corner of my dining room for two reasons 1) that's wehre the Faeries live in my hosue and 2) it bugs the crap out of her. LOL! I have a little spoon rest on my stove that has a little kitchen faerie on it and it says, "My home is clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy."

We have (as some of you have seen on my blog) kid art hanging on a wall in our dining room, Stuff stacked on my bookshelf other than books. My dining room table is only clean for dinner. Otherwise it has all sorts of projects on it all the time. it's sort of a family dna thing....go into any of my relatives homes and they all have dining room tables COVERED with things. It's just silly. and then you protest it and swear to yourself the next time you clean it it is staying clean, it just gets cluttered up again.

My floors are always clean (carpeting-yuck) though. I am big about that and so I vacuum daily, but I think I have mopped the floors maybe three times since we have lived here, because it just isn't that important to me and it's not like we are filthy. I sweep a few times daily (clockwise from the North and before dark....lol) and wipe up any spills generally right away, so I just don't see the point.

Okay....time to go clean off the diningroom table again ;)

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  11:04:48 AM  Show Profile
I love this concept, cuz I'm always fretting over the nit-picky perfect folks that might come by. My place is clean enough, but don't you know I probably missed a dust bunny that they'll spot, or something like that. My dining room table is my craft table, sewing table, and school work table so I have to clean it off for dinner too!! Having a farmgirl get together Saturday and I just know the new gal is a cleaning maniac (no job/son not old enough for school yet). I'll just have to let it go... My other friends accept me and like me. Just have to breath deep and keep saying that.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2006 :  1:31:51 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Libbie-I need to add that book to my list too! I use Mrs. Meyers and also ACV, Borax, and Baking Soda and a few others. And, since I switched away from the chemicals, I have not had near the problem with my sinuses or allergies.
Oh and I use Bar Keepers Friend for any tough rust stains-works great with little scrubbing. I also make my own soft scrubber by mixing up Murphys oil soap with baking soda to make a tooth paste type consistency-doesn't take much of the murphys then add your fav. essential oil-for me that's lavender! :) I think it is about 3 or 4 drops. Pepperment EO is nice too.
Ellen in MI
PS-I gave my Home Comforts to the library-that was a bit more cleaning than I care to do! LOL Good book though!
Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2006 :  06:27:35 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Libbie,
I am due for knee surgery soon and won't be able to do much house cleaning for awhile. At least I can read the book and feel I'm learning something in the mean time!

Pennie

God bless Farmers
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  07:22:27 AM  Show Profile
I like this "good enough" approach, too. In reading comments concerning children and germs, I'm reminded of my MIL's comments. She was a nurse back when nursing school taught cleaning as a major course. However, she claimed that kids who went around with colds and were always snotty grew into healthier adults. She also had a saying: It's clean enough--I don't want to be nasty-clean! A wise woman.

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  07:52:06 AM  Show Profile
JUST SOME SILLY, START YOUR THURSDAY MORNING COMMENTS:

Thanks for sharing about the book, Libbie. I was just thinking...hmmmm, somebody beat me to it! I could have made my fortune if I had only written my philosophy down!

Trina, you wouldn't have to scrub the floor so much if you weren't running barefoot through the goats!

And Pennie, you can live the philosophy while you're recuperating! May you heal quickly and all go well for you!

BUT SERIOUSLY:
The odd thing is that I don't enjoy having company over much because of the "pressure" of having the perfectly clean house...and that's a shame, isn't it? It's a major effort to spiff up everything the way I think it should be...wish I could relax more about what I perceive are expectations of others...and it's some icky pride issue on my behalf, I'm sure. I might need a therapist, not a cleaning book!! : )

The shepherd always tries to persuade the sheep that their interests and his own are the same--and a good border collie doesn't hurt!
Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  4:37:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Jami,
live the philospopy, that sounds easy enough!
Pennie

God bless Farmers
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  05:38:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi gals! This is my thang!!! When the kids need me or the quilting is calling me nit-picky cleaning is just not all that important. And since I moved into a house where the entry way is the kitchen...forget about spotless kitchen floors!!
But seriously, I need to to switch to organtic cleaning products...and you may all laugh but how do you use borax to clean.
Give me tips ladies!
Thanks

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2006 :  09:23:01 AM  Show Profile
I'm often to busy to make my own cleaning products, so I rely on natural products that are store-bought. One thing I really like is Mrs. Meyers All Purpose Cleaner-- it's good on literally everything, and you won't believe how sparkly-clean it gets windows and mirrors, and no streaks!

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2006 :  6:29:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I bought this book earlier this summer and love, love it!!! I use the recipe for oven cleaner a lot. The store bought stuff is icky and makes me want to put gas masks on my 3 boys. Her recipe works great and I feel much better about the boys hanging out in the kitchen with me while I clean. Oh, and her laundry soap recipe is great (and cheap). Cant wait to see what you find in the book.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

beachbuminthecountry
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Effort PA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  10:24:36 AM  Show Profile
OK here is food for thought. Years ago what did they clean with, did they have bleach? If anyone knows what they cleaned with way back yonder at chattahoochee,LOL please let us know, but I think it was simple things or just soap and water and a broom. Anyway, here is a list of receips that I got from another site:

making your own cleaning products

1. things you will need castile soap health food store trader joe has peppermint castile soap you can water down we get a 32 0z last forever you can wash your body, wash hair, clean your house and the list can go on. i like almond castile soap too.
(all purpose cleaner )
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup borax get at walmart
1/2 teaspoon washing soda arm and hammer makes get grocery stores
2 tablespoons vinegar
1/2 tablespoon castile soap
2 cups very hot water
spray bottle
you can use this any place in you house even cleaning your carpets instead of toxic chemicals

(dishwasing soap)
1. 1 part borax
i part washing soda
if there is a film residue try adding a bit more washing soda

(liquid dishwashing soda)
castile soap
vinegar
instead of jet dry or whatever use vinegar instead it great on dishes and they shine

(drain cleaner)
1/2 cup baking soda
1/2 cup vinegar
then pour very hot water down drain
keep the drains from getting bacteria
1/2 cup baking soda
1/2 vinegar no water

(laundry basic laundry soap)
1 part borax
1 part washing soda
1 part baking soda
also can use as natural bleach

fabric softner)
1/4 cup vinegar rinse cycle or put in wash
or baking soda
all purpose stain remover)
1/4 cup borax
2 cups cold water let soak

[window cleaners]
1/8 cup vinegar
1 cup water
put in spray bottle
you can even use to clean the whole house or you can do just half half for counter and so on i even use in bathroom

[carpets]
easy deodorizer
baking soda sprinkle all over carpets leave over night vacuum morning
you can even add 10 drops essential oil and baking soda
spots]
water and borax or castile soap
also zeolite take order out of anything even helps in cars you name it

[floors]
1/4 vinegar 1 gallon warm water
or you can add 1/8 castile soap
10 drops essential oil

[freshners]
water
cloves cinnamon
boiling water put all on stove and then let simmer or put in crock pot

[essential oil freshner]
1 cup water
5 to 10 drops essential oil
small spray bottle

[furniture polish]
3 parts olive oil
1 part vinegar soft cloth or you can 2 cups olive oil and 1 lemon

[toilet cleaner]
1 cup borax let sit over night
or baking soda and vinegar 1/2 cup both it will fizz

[bathroom cleaner]
tub shower you can use borax and water and let sit for as long as you like then scrub
or use vinegar and baking soda i clean my counter and so on with all purpose cleaner or vinegar

[mold cleaner]
1/2 cup borax 1/2 vinegar 2 gallon hot water
or vinegar full strength
good for cutting boards too
or 2 teaspoons tea treeoil and 2 cups of water

[mouth wash ] 5 drop tea tree and 8oz water if to strong and more water

[ toothpaste] baking soda and 5 drop tea tree or peperment

[deordant] baking soda and tea tree even vinegar just vinegar you want smell like it

natural pest control
ant dont like hot sauces, cinnamon pepperment tea tree.
make 1 gallon 2 teaspoon pepperment castile soap
10 drop of tea tree
about 20 drops of hot sause tabosco
or you can even sprinkle cinnamon where you see them or fresh herbs
borax also put in there nest or just boiling water will do
borax also for coaches
[diatomaceous earth flour fossil ] can use for gardens pet, on carpets, outside you name it will kill bugs it is a fossil ground up and bugs flea eat in and it dehydrates them

baking soda
you even clean bathtub and shower with it will take dirt right off . baking soda is great for everything
great book to get
[clean and green] by annie berthold-bond
[green clean] by linda mason hunter
enjoy god bless you all michele

[/text1]Thank you and God Bless
BB[/text1]

[/text1]If Satan comes knocking at your door, just say " Jesus can you get that for me"[/text]
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  8:08:48 PM  Show Profile
Oh, these are great...thanks!!!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  10:59:22 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
LOL I have eyed up that book for who knows how long......think i'll seach b&n for it used. :) Our house ever since I was lil has always been USED! however it's just my mum and I and it is fairly big for 2 people: huge living room with lil den area, kitchen, halls, 2 bathrooms, 3 bedrooms, attic, dining room, garage turned room, family room and basement. Don't ask me how much square feet I don't know that crap :-p but we have JUNK all over. I want to get rid of the clutter and use more of the rooms. Our family believes its nicer to walk into a house that looks like people are doing projects and staying active than a perfect display house. :) Awesome that others feel a similar way. Our house IS clean with natural cleaners and esp dustfree cause of my allergies. HUGS

"... to thine ownself be true."
Go to Top of Page

sweetoatmealhill
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Daile
Rockford Michigan
11 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  9:18:36 PM  Show Profile
In the "recipes" beach bum in the country posted, can anyone tell me what the washing soda is? Does that refer to the Arm and Hammer powdered laundry soap? I've been using borax and vinegar for just about everything for about a year, and love the results. I used to clean houses during my college years, and when I think of the amount of noxious fumes I inhaled it makes me shudder. I do, however, have a dependence on OxyClean for my whites. I've tried to figure out whats in it, but labeling on cleaning products is so often mysterious and incomplete. Does anyone have any more insight on the stuff?
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  11:19:52 AM  Show Profile
There is some Washing Soda that's made by Arm & Hammer, but it's not their "regular" laundry detergent. It's in a yellow box, about the size of a cereal box at my grocery store, and it's labeled specifically "Washing Soda." I had such a hard time finding this at first! I've been using borax a lot lately, too, and it's wonderful!

I use OxyClean sometimes as well, and I'd love to hear if anyone has any information, too, about what it really is!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

chickenlips
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Belinda
Mesa AZ
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  8:47:28 PM  Show Profile
Just wanted to say it's so nice that y'all feel the way I do. Natural cleaning products are better and "good enough" is enough. DH and I have been arguing about the house for our whole marriage (going on 17 yrs) and he's finally realizing that it's hard to keep up with everyone and everything. I think he's resigned to living in a less than perfect home. He doesn't help anyway.
But my point is that cleaning naturally really is so much better than buying all those expensive, stinky, toxic, environmentally un-friendly products. (DH just loves them, to my chagrin, and brings them home occasionally just to see what I'll say. He's also a sucker for the latest "New & Improved" gimmicks)
There are reports out there that say we are so obsessed with germs and using way too many antibacterial products, that we are compromising our immune systems. What happened to just good old-fashioned soap and water? Our relatives and ancestors used it and they survived.

~Belinda~:>
just a farmgirl in the desert
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  9:24:24 PM  Show Profile
Michelle,
Thanks for the reminder!!! Your recipes are similar to what I use, but I usually add some tea tree & lemon or orange essential oils. The house sure smells good.
I've been making my own laundry soap off & on for years. We've been back to it for a few months now. Great stuff!

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

simpler1773
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Ricki
Ashland Wisconsin
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  05:15:30 AM  Show Profile  Send simpler1773 a Yahoo! Message
Bwahaha Tasha... you made me laugh out loud, keeping a cobweb in the corner to drive her nuts! My Mom bought me an extending duster for Christmas...hint hint, sigh!

Ricki

You can't pour anything out of an empty vessel, take care of yourself!
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2007 :  10:22:00 AM  Show Profile
OxyClean has two ingredients: Sodium bicarbonate- baking soda and Sodium percarbonate: peroxide.
I use this for my whites alot but it doesn't have a tendency to weaken the fabric after a while.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Organic Housekeeping Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page