gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2012 :  2:19:47 PM  Show Profile
I found some of the Corn shaped cast iron pans at the thrift In great shape my question is when making cornbread do you pre heat the cast iron corn shape bread molds?

Farmgirl Sister #273

buzzn bee
True Blue Farmgirl

1061 Posts

Deborah
Muncie Indiana
USA
1061 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2012 :  4:17:08 PM  Show Profile
Diana,
I always preheat mine after I drop in a little oil. My hubby and I have tried it both ways. I like the crust it puts around the cornbread. Also, if I could offer this little tip. After I clean my cast iron food molds or frying pans, I always rub in a little shortening to preserve them and prevent rust as well as keeping them seasoned.

My great grandmother taught me to do always do that and often she
would tease me that if I did not take care of her cast iron cookware she would visit me in my dreams. She has been gone for 24 years. I miss her deeply. She was quite the cook and loved her cast iron.

Hope this helps. Now you have me hungry for cornbread and lots of homemade butter. YUM! YUM!

Debbie H
Buzzn Bee
Farm Sister # 1185
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2012 :  9:56:01 PM  Show Profile
preheating will put a nice crispness to the crust, but also prevent sticking to the pan.

This is just a personal preference from me.....I thought those corn shapes were so cute, but in my opinion I just am not that enamored with the end result in texture with them. I feel they dry out the bread too much. I like a more moist bread...maybe I need to play with it more and not cook them so long...dunno....just always seem to go back to my skillet for the cornbread though.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2012 :  7:31:32 PM  Show Profile
I also do not put soap on my cast iron. I rinse with water and sprinkle with salt and then rub out with a cloth or rinsing again when it is clean. I then do not allow it to remain wet I turn the burner on the stove and dry it that way. When I turn it off I rub a couple of drops of oil in the pan.

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2012 :  08:14:55 AM  Show Profile
well not me LOL i use and abuse my cast iron LOL i cook in it all the time. i have surgical steel water less cook ware too. BUT when it comes to cast iron i use soap. i just have to. its too time consuming to love my cookware enough to rub with oil and salt. i had every intention once long ago to be good. well i am just bad at this. i scrub soap and rub my pans. i do how ever dry thoroughly on stove before hanging on pot rack. now i have been an abuser all my life. so i aint changing now. i have the pans that my folks had. they still work great. i do now and then heat oil hot in them. mostly if a pan is looking poorly i cook bacon in it a few times. then the pan is good again. thats my story and i am sticking to it. happy days cooking for you ahead.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2012 :  1:30:56 PM  Show Profile
I have that kind of pan too. I do not preheat mine. Never thought to.
So I am not sure if it would make much difference. BUT not preheating didn't affect whether they tasted good.

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2012 :  10:42:04 AM  Show Profile
Sherry, I like your post! My husband and I were wondering how one cooks things like fish in a cast iron skillet and then doesn't wash with soap. I don't want everything we cook after that to have that hint of fish flavor that was left behind by just wiping out the pan. Neither one of us are stay-at-homers, so we don't have the time to spend on special cookware clean-up protocol.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.

"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
"A meal of bread, cheese and beer constitutes the perfect food." --Queen Elizabeth I
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2012 :  1:25:49 PM  Show Profile
I wash with soap and water then heat and re oil, every time. I just haven't used the corn shaped molds before but as they came from a thrift store they really got washed with soap and water and re oiled and reheated and put away.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

KatTylee
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Katrina
Mitchell Nebraska
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2012 :  4:41:39 PM  Show Profile
I'm with the other gals on the soap. I use it too. Too many things like eggs or a smelly meal just don't seem to get gone otherwise. I do completely dry with heat and re-oil everytime though. I've always used bacon grease for this. I suppose it can be whatever works that won't go rancid on you. That would be blech!

~"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
— Oscar Wilde~
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cast Iron help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page