texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2012 :  09:19:53 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I am embarrassed to admit this but I dozed off taking a hot bath the other night and dropped a library book into the tub. (I'm exhausted much of the time during the holidays). Don't worry 'bout me, I could not have drowned, the tub is in my daughter's bathroom and is too small. But...I was reading a library book and the thing is soaked, soaked, soaked. I tried a hair dryer, then propped it open next to a heater. It's still damp and the pages are kind of "curly". It's a hardcover (of course, just my luck), and the cover is okay but the pages aren't great. Really don't want to have to buy the book unless I just have to. Anybody got any ideas other than what I already tried?

All I can say is thankfully it wasn't my Nook.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2012 :  4:19:04 PM  Show Profile
I guess you could try setting the book up with the pages fanned open for a few days. Hopefully it will dry out. The pages will be wrinkly, so after they are dry put something really heavy on them for another couple of days. You may need to renew the book to get it to look as normal as possible!

Good luck with it!
Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

momshopsalotta
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Connie
Hertford NC
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2012 :  4:22:37 PM  Show Profile
If the book can't be saved I have purchased the same book from amazon.com for about one fifth the replacement cost then taken into the library and when faced with the prospect they have always accepted the fair trade. They just have to make up a new sticker.
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2012 :  12:31:47 PM  Show Profile
Call the library and let them know. I know, it's hard to admit what you did, but they should have a book repair person and they will be helpful. And you may have to replace the book anyway. But, like momshopsalotta posted, buy it from amazon or ebay. I did that. The library wanted to charge $35 or something for a book. I think I paid $14.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

momshopsalotta
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Connie
Hertford NC
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2012 :  08:10:38 AM  Show Profile
In my case my daughter "lost" three books over the last couple of years and after I had bought them on amazon and taken them back to the library sometimes months later, sometimes years later I will find them under car seats, behind heavy furniture etc. Then I donate them back to the library so they have a spare. In your case it seems the book is "washed up".
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2013 :  06:09:25 AM  Show Profile
I ended up "ironing" the pages after the book dried on a low heat setting, with no steam. Ironed both sides of each page that got wet. This worked like a charm. By the time I was done the book looked brand new. No musty smell as I dried it quickly. Took it to a friend who is a librarian there and she said she could not tell it had been damaged at all. Otherwise I would've ordered one on Amazon.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Help! Wet book Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page