True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

Darlene
fennville Mi
USA
71 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2006 :  5:45:53 PM  Show Profile
HELLO YALL!!
wow whew~~ now that the farmers market is over i start back to my craft shows tomorrow!! GEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZ busy busy!! cant believe the summer is over!! fall is my favorite time of the year though so can enjoy pickin apples and squashs. My question is does anyone use fresh beeswax in candles with parrafin?? I want to make some tarts actually and someone gave me a big bucket of some beeswax from his farm. I am not sure but know alot of people mix the two to make candles but didnt know if it needs to have anything done to it before i melt!! ANYONE KNOW???
THANKS bunches and have a great night!!

**LIVE LIFE JOYFULLY**

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  6:54:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi Darlene, I've made candles from beeswax but no parrafin. They burn a bit quicker but I like them much better. I used sheets of beeswax but I think you just need to melt it a bit to soften it. After you soften it, you can use molds or just taper them. I am no authority on the subject at all but I hope it helps a bit. I am sure someone on here must do it and knows alot more. Good luck.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  7:35:50 PM  Show Profile
Depending on the beeswax - if it is rendered down to pure beeswax, you can just melt it and make dipped candles, or molded candles. I still have some wax cappings that need to be rendered to separate the wax from the honey. I will do that using a solar wax melter (yet another thing to do when I get around to it). You should do a little research on making candles as you will need the correct wicking for the size candles you want to make. There are different kinds of paraffin with different melting temperatures. So first you have to know what kind of paraffin you will be using. You would probably need a wax that melts at approximately the same temp. as beeswax to combine the two. Beeswax has a melting temp. of 145 F. Here's what my book, WICK, WAX & TALK says: " Beeswax with a melting temp of 145 degrees is a natral wax secreted from the bodies of the honey bee to construct their combs. It is used to make dipped tapers and molded candles. Use an ounce of beeswax as an additive in foliating candles using the Glo wax(which is a type of Paraffin), and as a hardener in higher temperature waxes." In the past, I made candles with just beeswax and they were good - but I don't think I had the right wick thickness and my candles dripped....so a little research will go a long way. When I made my dipped candles, I used a ham can (which they don't make anymore) in a water-bath to heat my wax in, cuz it is very flamable. Hope that helps.

Edited by - OregonGal on Oct 07 2006 8:52:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  8:35:12 PM  Show Profile
Darlene,
I love beeswax ANYTHING! I have just started to make some ornaments from beeswax. Since starting, I've been warned many times that it is VERY flamable at temperatures over 145 F. So far I still have my eyebrows! ;) I start with clean beeswax and put it in an electric skillet with a temperature gauge to keep an even heat. I snooped around online and found lots of great candlemaking sites! There are quite a variety of candles being made right now, especially with the introduction of soy. You might want to read up to insure success! :) Let us know how it goes!
Blessings,
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

craftychick06
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

Darlene
fennville Mi
USA
71 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  12:57:53 PM  Show Profile
THANKS EVERYONE!~~~
I am goin to pick some up tonight and see it is in buckets and i am not soooooo sure it is seperated from the honey yet??? I will keep yall updated on how it goes, i am thinkin more bout doin tarts to burn in burners, i found some cute molds and thought that might be fun to try for something different since there are so many candle makers out there.
Have a great day and thanks for the info~~

**LIVE LIFE JOYFULLY**
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Beeswax?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page