Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Need ideas - What products do you buy your dog??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Need ideas - What products do you buy your dog?? Next Topic  

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  4:07:30 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone:

I'm always looking to create new dog & cat products and I was wondering what products would you purchase (if you could find nice ones) for your little doggies & kitties I appreciate any ideas that you would give me.

Doglady

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  4:27:57 PM  Show Profile
A good quality collar that one of my farmcollies can't get off. We haven't found a collar he can't get off.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  4:12:39 PM  Show Profile
I don't have a dog, but thought that I'd mention that the book titled" Country Wisdom and Know How" has a large selection of recipes for dog biscuits and so forth. So maybe you could create some specialty "gourmet" doggy biscuits to offer. You could bundle them into little doggy print fabrics tied with raffia bows.(bandana size squares gathered like mini "hobo bags" then tied with raffia and a brown ingredients tag would look nice.
(Just an idea there for you.)

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  4:49:09 PM  Show Profile
That's a great idea. I actually bought some wheat flour this week to experiment with biscuits. I could offer them with the bags or along with a bandana too. I like the ingredient tag also. Thanks for your idea. I am keeping a small journal with all of the ideas and I'll see which ones will work. Thanks.

Doglady

www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  7:22:41 PM  Show Profile
Toys that small dogs can play with that's not easily torn up and washable. We have weenie dogs, sorry their official name is a bear to spell, they have small mouths but they will worry a toy to death in now time.
For my kitten, Hocus Pocus Mystic Magic (Magic for short), she loves to chase everything. My arms get tired having to wave string or a leather strip around for her to chase. She loves to pick up small things and carry it around with her too. Anything with catnip, espcially organic, would be a hit.

"The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today." President Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  12:18:10 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
Hey Doglady!
How about small doggy bag holders that you can attatch to a leash? Like a smaller version of the grocery bag holders. I've seen a rubbery version, but a homemade fabric version would be oh-so-cute! A portable doggy picnic set would be neat, too. With small food and water dishes, and little containers you could keep each in. Would be great for hikes! For cats, anything with catnip in it! Maybe something like your snuggle blankies, but smaller, like 12"x12", with catnip mixed in the stuffing. And you can't go wrong with homemade pet treats! Doggy bakeries seem to be a big hit! Hope these help! I think I may try making some of these things myself!

Much love,
Laura

"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." Anne Frank
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  1:40:23 PM  Show Profile
WOW:
Everyone is really coming up with great product ideas. The catnip blankies would be easy enough or a small toy with catnip in it as well. I'm trying to envision the doggy bag holders since I live in a rural area, I don't think that I have ever seen the grocery bag types (unless it's the type of bag that you fill up and reuse plastic grocery bags). I am still thinking of a toy that Hocus Pocus Mystic Magic, the cat, can play with herself to stay busy. Please keep the ideas coming as I plan on experimenting with several and will keep everyone posted.

Thanks,

Doglady

www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  4:00:43 PM  Show Profile
I was going to suggest the catnip pads/blankies... Someone makes and sells them at my local pet store (for $20-$30 each) - they are basically just a cotton material made into a pillow cover and stuffed with quilt batting and catnip. She has ones that are made from fleece too.

My Homesteading Journal
http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal
http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  4:04:01 PM  Show Profile
Oh, almost forgot... one of my prized possessions was a leather dog leash that I got one year while showing dogs... it was stamped with the name of the event and the date... This concept could be done to create personalized leather collars or leashes... Or you could take the nylon ones and embroider names on those (would need a machine...)

Personalized doggie bowls and placemats...

Some of the pattern companies have patterns for basic pet items and you can get some inspiration from them...

My Homesteading Journal
http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal
http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  4:17:48 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
You know I haven't had a gone since I was about 21 years old a while back before marriage. I forgot all the stuff pets take. Kids take more off course. this is just interesting to me I never would have purchased a doggieiblanket yet you sell them that is so cool a nitch for everything. Good luck with your endevors.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  4:45:14 PM  Show Profile
What about pet beds with some herbs or essential oils added to the filling.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  8:18:34 PM  Show Profile
I like personalized pet bowls..although none of my pets have them right now. I bought a cat bowl once that said "Tuna Breath" and I loved that.
I agree that weiner dogs (I never can spell it right either) do massacre their toys. We have one little guy 10 years old (name is Frank) and he still can shred a toy. He used to like to chew plastic up best..but now he likes stuffed toys. My bassets wont' even pick up a toy. THey will cuddle with stuffed animals. I love the idea of personalized collars or leashes..I would sure be interested in that.
What about hand knit little cat toys? I made a mouse and a ball on a cord (striped wool yarn) that were simple for my cat and she loves them. (catnip in the mouse)
I agree about the pet beds too...nice smelling ones would be wonderful for when my bassets lounge in the family room. Frank tunnels under the cushions on the couch no matter what I do.
Good luck!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

santa_gertrudis_gal
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Kim
Groesbeck Texas
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2006 :  09:27:59 AM  Show Profile  Send santa_gertrudis_gal a Yahoo! Message
Tina,

Here's websites of my favorite items for dogs.

Beds - raised orthopedic! Our GSP's and friends who have labs just love these beds. After a day in the field, this is the one bed they love to rest on. Takes all pressure off their body after a hard day hunting.

http://www.all-dog-beds.com/polyresinbed.html

http://www.petmate.com/Catalog.plx?ID=1520

I like the ones with the vinyl weave the best. It's easier to keep clean. Our dogs go straight to the kennel. Less distraction for them after a day hunting, and they can rest. Also in the kennel is a goat stock tank filled with water, so if they need to cool off they jump in.

http://www.petstages.com/default2.asp

Oh, gee, can't say enough about these fantastic toys. We have taken the puppies to Petco, and they choose these toys over a stuffed one any time. They are colorful for the humans, and fun fun for the dogs. Great as they go into the washing machine!

Kim

Heaven is a day at the ranch with my Santa Gertrudis!
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2006 :  09:39:29 AM  Show Profile
I love Julie's idea of the bedding with essential oil for a pet. I have a 13 year old golden retriever and she still thinks she is a pup! However, she has trouble tugging with her old toys and chewing on a nylabone as her teeth are well worn, and she's had a few pulled over the years. Softer tuggy toys for older dogs (I often make something out of thick men's hunting socks). Also I like her to have whole grain organic bisquits that are not too crunchy. I generally buy them, but I have a recipe I've yet to try that has strained meat as part of the ingredients (as in baby food). Peanut butter is another thing she likes, so instead of meat, that might be a good idea. Also, soothing shampoos for easliy irritated skin. I generally take her in to be groomed, but they use something that has oatmeal in it and it smells great, not the flowery icky smell common with a lot of pet shampoo.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2006 :  12:07:17 PM  Show Profile
What about something attractive and washable to put a "filled" doggy clean up bag in? I always hate walking around with a bag of poo in my hand.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  08:54:18 AM  Show Profile
Hey there--what a great post! I have 4 dogs and three cats....I think the things that I look for (and buy) most, are beds that are completely washable--inside and out. The Rover Mattress Company is the best I've found, but I have to drive 2 hours south to get them. They use heavy denim and canvas in attactive patterns (it's very hard for me to decide, there are so many), the seams are stong--impeccable. Really sturdy, really attactive and TOTALLY washable. The pillow inside is almost like something we'd sleep on. Also, good leads. I agree with the poster who mentioned leather. It's the best for training and walking, and it ages so nicely (unless you have a husky who eats it!). Even though my dogs aren't big on it, I like the "in between bath" products, but wish I could find a natural one, and along that same note, breath sprays (we use one called "Dog Smog")--what about some herbal mints? Having 4 dogs, we have a variety of bad breath going on....I have that Country wisdom book and she's right, it's full of recipes, but I've seen alot of gourmet dog biscuits around here... When I worked at the animal shelter, I made iron on t shirts for the dogs with sayings like "adopt me" or "Hey good lookin, I'm available" People loved them, so maybe something like that, only not referencing the adoption. In our area, ("Bengal Country"), I've been seeing quite a few dogs sporting "sports" collars. A GIANT female mastif up the street named Sage, was wearing a black and orange bengal stripe wrap/sleeve thing around her collar that made her look like a jester. It was absolutely hysterical. I'm not a sports fan, but almost everyone else is:)
Just some thoughts.

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2006 :  4:29:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi!
I have an 11 year old retriever/pitbull mix (she's a big mush), and there are two items that I can never seem to find-the first one is a really tough dog toy that she'll like to chew. She never touches her Nylabones (I think they are too hard), and most rawhides she chews up and swallows in about 2 seconds. The other kind of goes with the first-some kind of chewy treat that lasts more than 30 seconds. Those Jumbones things? She practically swallows them whole!!!
Also, I saw someone else already mentioned it-but orthopedic beds. Zena is a big, older girl, and it was hard to find a bed for her that seemed comfy, but still gave some support.
Good luck with your endeavor!!
Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2006 :  5:39:24 PM  Show Profile
I really appreciate all of the input from everyone and I am working of several of the ideas. It takes a while to get it just right for dogs. For Woodswoman, you might try the "biscuit ball" from Kong. My Shadow usually destroys most toys but never a Kong toy. Maybe I should start carrying those. You can put a biscuit halfway in this ball, the dog bites of half of it and the other half usually falls down into the middle of the ball. It drives them nuts for several hours. A real hoot! Please keep the ideas coming because they are great and I'm saving them to work on later.

Thanks,
Doglady

www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  4:49:05 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tip about the Kong-I'll try it!!
Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  7:16:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have thought about this too. One thing I came up with but have not had the chance to implement would be shredless toys. I even talked to a leather supply outlet about it. I suggest thinking of making a ball shape pattern out of heavy duty leather and sewing it with double thick rawhide. I would suggest stuffing it with either leather cuttings or something that is vacuumable. Like lavender or that breaks up easily. I always worry about my dog swallowing that stuffing that comes in most dog toys.

Also I love the idea of homemade dog treats but I can never afford to buy them when I find them.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Need ideas - What products do you buy your dog?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page