Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Dealing with Meningeal worm in my buck-2nd update
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Dealing with Meningeal worm in my buck-2nd update Next Topic  

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  1:43:46 PM  Show Profile
Went out yesterday morning to feed the my goats who are truly like my family. Went into Blizzard my bucks stall and poured the feed in and he didn't come in... this never happens. So I went out into his pasture and he was down. I couldn't believe my eyes. I slowly pulled him into the barn and both his back legs are flacid and tail is down too. He was hungry and ready to eat and even wanted to rut me.......they never give up. I held him up while he ate. Yesterday he was fine running up and down his pasture yelling and showing off at the girls. I can't believe how fast it happened.

I started him on an arsinal of things to combat and stop anymore damage.He keeps wanting to walk and tries to drag himself around. He does not realize what is going on. My back is screaming in pain from moving him around and rearranging him cause he keeps twisting his back end up trying to get up.I pray that I can kill these things and his nerves will repair.

Pray for my goat Blizzard he really needs it.I was up and down checking him last night and between that and crying didn't get much sleep. I don't want to lose this big black buck. He is such a good boy and is only 1- 3/4 years old. He's black like coal with a white tip on his tail and ears like dumbo.He is such a handsome boy.

Well off to the barn to check him again and give him another shot of Banamine to control any swelling and get his dinner.

Update-Well Blizzard is still with me. I just finished his last day of treatment with the wormers. Dang thats alot of wormer.
I still have him on the Banamine but down to once a day now. He is able to get up by himself. His backend is wobbly and his right back leg he picks it up a little but the hoof drags when he walks. If he turns around to change directions his backend collapses and he falls down. But then he does gets right back up. His appetite is good and his attitude is good.
He is better because he can get up by himself. He still struggles with control of his back legs and hips... he kinda has his back legs way out behind him.
Time will tell but I am glad to see the improvement that he has up to this point and at least it didn't go the other way like so many of them do. Hopefully this worm is dead and won't do anymore damage.I hope his nerves repair and he can be the buck he once was.

2nd update December 9th: Blizzard is still going strong. We are done with all treatments. He has better control of his back legs. The back right leg he was dragging he can now pick it up when he walks.His legs are more under him. He still falls sometimes when he turns or tries to backup.But he can walk with both back legs and pick them up and when he does fall he gets up pretty quickly. He still rutting like a crazy buck. He sure hasn't missed a beat there. This Monday it will be 2 weeks since he went down. I think he has made alot of improvement in 2 weeks. I feel like he could make a full recovery.Its a miracle for sure to see him up and around. Its a brite spot in my life to see him doing so well.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Dec 09 2012 7:54:03 PM

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  8:17:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi Linda. I just saw this. How is your buck tonight? I hope he pulls through. That is so scary.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  10:17:28 PM  Show Profile
Oh no :( How is Blizzard doing? I'm so sorry about your boy! I hope he's better soon. Prayers on the way!

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising up a small ranch using natural resources.
www.mydoterra.com/thurman
Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  11:04:37 PM  Show Profile
Said a prayer for Blizzard. Also wondering how he is doing.

Emily
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2012 :  05:10:53 AM  Show Profile
Prayers.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2012 :  06:54:00 AM  Show Profile
checking in on you and him???? so hope he is better today hugs to you

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2012 :  10:25:01 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I could prop him up while he ate. Once it warmed up I grabbed his backend like a wheelbarrow and he walked with his front legs and took him outside. He really wanted to be outside so bad and I put hay in front of him and he was pretty content with that. He ate his breakfast and brown sugar warm water. Last night I could get him into a standing position on his 3 legs. His back right leg is not working much and his hoof is rolled up behind him so he is basically on his ankle.But he stayed that way while he ate. He's figured out what I am doing and walks well when I wheelbarrow him outside.

Today is day 3 of his treatment which is Ivomec, safeguard, and Banamine. After today he will only get the safeguard but the first 3 days he received both wormers. Today he can pull himself up with help and has managed to move on his 3 legs and picks up the weak one and throws it out in front when he is walking.... its almost like he has drop foot in that leg. He is learning to compensate for that leg.He looks like a drunk goat when he tries to walk and his backend is all over the place. His backend gives out and then he rest for awhile and I go out and reposition him.He is barely balancing but he is doing it.I don't think the damage has gotten worse and the treatment has halted that I hope. I actually think he is slightly better today. I will keep at it and I hope the nerves will regenerate. I have delt with this before but never had them go down in the backend like this before.

I thought about giving myself a shot of Banamine this buck is kinda heavy and my back is killing me. I guess i will stick with the advil for now....lol.

Thanks for the prayers and good wishes. Will keep you all posted.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Nov 28 2012 10:30:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2012 :  6:43:17 PM  Show Profile
Oh man, I'm glad he's making progress. Sorry you're lifting a 200+ lb goat, though! Ouch!

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising up a small ranch using natural resources.
www.mydoterra.com/thurman
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2012 :  11:52:59 AM  Show Profile
Hope he continues to improve! So sorry this happened.

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2012 :  1:43:41 PM  Show Profile
That is good news, I do hope he continues to get better each day!

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2012 :  3:55:49 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I'm so glad to see that the buck is getting better.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2012 :  4:27:33 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much.......I just hope he continues to improve.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Dealing with Meningeal worm in my buck-2nd update Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page