kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2012 :  7:48:06 PM  Show Profile
I was just wondering if anyone uses their male farm animals as studs and what price do you ask? And do you take your animal to the female or do she come to your farm?

Last Sat. a lady I met from an ad I had on Craig's list last year brought her doe to be bred by my buck. She was in standing heat today. I called and told the lady and she asked again how much I was going to charge. I had told her husband last week I thought $25 was a good price for the doe staying here and me feeding her hay. And a friend charges that much too. I don't think that's too much to ask really. And she's ok with that. I was just wondering if any one does this too. I thought maybe I could make a little extra money and keep the buck busy too. And I don't want to take him off anywhere again. I did that last month and it was not a good situation for him. This way, I know what's going on here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2012 :  03:24:38 AM  Show Profile
I did that just once ... And will NEVER do it again. I had a man who wanted to breed with my Registered Cheviot ram. I said okay that would be fine, paid me the money up front. He picked up the ram had him for 2 weeks, came back with worms and pink eye or with the vet called the Chlamydia organism.
Needless to say it cost me more in vet bills than I made for stud fees!
So, just a word to the wise ... I would want to see all updated health records first ... and I would still never do it again.
Good luck ...

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com

Edited by - kysheeplady on Nov 24 2012 03:26:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2012 :  2:19:14 PM  Show Profile
I used to have a real high quality Dairy goat that I let people come and bring their nannies to. I don't remember what I charged. Some high quality goats have a stud fee in the thousands, but an unregistered in this area is about $25. I'm paying $10 to a lady tomorrow. But I'm not into showing any more. However I do want a nice buck that has a mother that is easy to milk and looks nice. Just make sure you know the person and pay attention to the health and habits of any animals you bring on your place. I once leased a buck from a lady and put it in with my does and come to find out it taught my does to eat the bark off of trees and they learned that and ended up killing about half of a half acre of cedar trees that was in their pen. I still would rather lease a buck than keep one year round.
Stallions should have EVA testing and annual shots. It is a disease that will cause the mare to abort. However if the stallion has produced live foals recently and the mare also then the odds are good they dont have it. We take our stallions down to get their shots in the fall, cause they cant breed for a month afterward. They shed cells. They are first tested and then if found negative they get the shots each year. They will test positive from then on. It's a law in our state.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2012 :  9:00:45 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, CAE, CL and Johnes test that doe before she comes to your property...

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising up a small ranch using natural resources.
www.mydoterra.com/thurman
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2012 :  4:58:00 PM  Show Profile
Goats can get CAE from breeding? I thought they could only get it from their mother's milk.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2012 :  5:46:41 PM  Show Profile
Bodily fluids. CAE also is found in blood, semen, etc. The research is thin on transfer means other than milk, but why take the chance for a miniscule stud fee? Make them pay for their own testing and bring the results within 30 days of breeding. Of course, if you don't have high-dollar animals, or if you yourself don't test, I suppose it's not a reasonable request... Just depends on your situation.

I won't stud out my boys, and if I did, I'd require testing before a foreign animal came to my property.
That's just me.

Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2012 :  5:56:23 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I am with you Natalie, I did it once and will never do it again ... even if they had vet paperwork. I just won't do it ... I mean if I buy a new sheep and it has all it's paper work, I still keep it away from MY flock for at least 2 weeks ... You just can't be to careful!

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2012 :  6:26:33 PM  Show Profile
HI KRIS, I HAVE IN THE PAST USED MY NEIGHBORS BULL. WE GIVE THEM A $50.00 CREDIT TOWARD THEIR BUTCHER PIG EACH TIME A COW IS WITH HIM.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  06:14:42 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all for the good advice and information. I have thought about bringing new animals to my farm and what they may bring with them. But I go to other farms and people come here all the time, so who knows what each person brings with them or leaves with.This particular doe is from a very spoiled herd. They are well cared for. Too much for my taste. I don't spoil mine like a lot of people do, with cookies and treats all the time. I do give them a little treat now and then.

The doe will be going home today. Then I will be playing musical goats with all mine again, just to make sure they are all bred here.

Thanks again, y'all.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  12:58:43 PM  Show Profile
We have paid 10.00 he was a fellow 4-H member and that is what he charged 4-H kids. He did not keep the goats. We took them when they were in heat and put the doe in with the buck/took her home after.
stud fees around here seem to be about 50.00 for registered and a daily fee for board. Some do not let the animals stay.

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  12:17:34 PM  Show Profile
Driveway breedings are best when studding out your boys :)

Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2012 :  07:17:03 AM  Show Profile
I have been quoted $50.00 per doe and $1.00 per day board fee per doe if I leave them with the stud. At that time I had two does and we ended up bringing the buck here for 30 days, it was still $50.00 per doe, we worried the whole time something would happen to him. The next year I found a good, papered buck at a resonable price, due to herd reduction and new bloodlines being brought in. Big Al has been with us for 3 years. Other than the occasional head stuck in fence he has been a good investment and saves me worring about outside animals or taking my does and leaving them somewhere.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2012 :  07:30:49 AM  Show Profile
It is a big thing to worry about, all the diseases and things that could go wrong. But it's all good here. I have John Henry back in with 3 of my Lamancha does after he cleared the fence like a darn deer. I think his daughter Iris is in heat right now. I also put Sandy back in with Arlo Guthrie, the little tiny Boer buck. I think she's bred but he doesn't like to be alone. I will have to sell John Henry next year. But maybe not because I won't be keeping any more doe kids. for awhile.

$50 is a good price too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

DebiB
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Debi
Santa Cruz Ca
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2012 :  5:47:13 PM  Show Profile
Well, we charge $75 for a stud fee, to a registered star rated buck. We would charge more for the doe to stay here, dont know how much, $5 a day would be an absolute minimum. But, California has very expensive hay, etc...
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Stud fees Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page