Author Outpost: Previous Topic Reenacting/Living History Next Topic  

Jaime
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Indiana
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2006 :  09:40:36 AM  Show Profile
I was wondering if any of you are into living history/reenacting. My husband and I dress in 1700's garb and camp out at events throughout the year. October is our busy month, though. We have an event every weekend! It makes for weeks full of clothing that smells like campfire and wet tents that won't dry. In fact, our car is currently packed full for this weekend's event, The Feast of the Hunter's Moon, in Lafayette, IN. (Which btw, if any of you live near there, you should definately go to!) There is a topic on costumes somewhere around here and that's what made me think of this. I'm sure our neighbors think we're crazy dressing up in Colonial outfits. The best though, is when we are on the way to an event and stop at a resturant or gas station! You can only imagine the looks we get!

Jaiem

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2006 :  12:00:11 PM  Show Profile
I think it would be so fun. My husband gives me "that look" when I make suggestions like this..but I am not giving up. I think I would be more into the mountain man/Indian type thing or maybe colonial than regular ren fests...with the kids anyhow. They seem more family friendly. Have fun at the event this weekend!! Sounds like fun!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2006 :  12:12:43 PM  Show Profile
I'll be going to the Thomasville, Ga's Victorian Christmas Downtown celebration this year..the first weekend of Dec.

I had my mom make both my daughter and I an outfit each.

I have never been involved in anything like this..but even though we do not live in Thomasville we still thought it would be fun to "dress the part" with the locals there.. and walk around the downtown area in costume during this time.

If I'm not mistaken I think Cyndi from Mullers Lane Farm might be interested in the reenactment events. Hopefully she'll chime in.

I know that we have a civil war reenactment chapter here in our area, I may join that one day.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2006 :  6:09:12 PM  Show Profile
what fun! i tried to get my husband into doing 're-enacting' .. but he just didn't go for it .. but we do enjoy attending events .. for that fact, we are getting up early tomorrow morning to drive to perryville, kentucky (less than an hour away from us) for a civil war battle re-enactment. there are lots of fun events planned and we will stay the weekend.

when we lived in annapolis, maryland .. there were wonderful colonial encampments .. and i have beautiful 1700's costumes (packed away right now since our move) .. and participated in these events and did 'classes' with children.

since moving to kentucky, i helped spearhead a continuance of our pioneer 'rendezvous' at a large park in our town .. it will be coming up in late october .. and i am scheduled to once again, do 'children's activities'. the historical society had decided to discontinue them .. but a few of us got very active and they have resumed for all three years i have lived here.

i would head for indiana if we did not already have perryville plans. have fun! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Kelly43
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

NJ
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  06:41:29 AM  Show Profile
Jamie, I would love to be doing that, you're so lucky, what fun!! We live less than a mile from a living history farm that is dated 1880-1910. We are quite active with them, I volunteer with their sewing group creating period appropriate things, especially quilts. But I don't have the time right now to make my self a costume and volunteer at the farm on the weekends, I am hoping to do that when the kids go off to college (not that I'm wishing for that) and I'm not running to 4-H and the like. We take our restored tractor over there when they do "back to the future days" and they have "modern" equipment (our tractor is 1940). Isn't it fun to play dress up? I've always said I was born in the wrong century. Have fun at all your playdates this month!!
Kel
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  1:25:39 PM  Show Profile
I have been in a group called the SCA since 1988... I took a ten year break but have started back up. My husband doesn't like all that "funny stuff" but for me he's willing to dress like a Viking for a day so he can watch me fence in a tournament. In Viola, AR this coming weekend is their Diamond Wars... I dress like 1500's Irish lady. Today I'm going to TRY to make my fighting jacket...then quickly make T tunics for my girls and husband.
I have missed the people who enjoy doing this. We are a rare breed. :)
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  03:40:12 AM  Show Profile
oh my ... perryville, ky had a "national" re-enactment of the civil war battles at perryville this weekend .. SAME date as the original battles (October 7 & 8) .. and ON the very ground of the battles. I understand that rarely are the re-enactments allowed on the actual battlegrounds. There were about 8,000 (yesss! EIGHT THOUSAND re-enactors!!) what an incredible weekend!!!! will write more of it (with photos) soon! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  05:30:07 AM  Show Profile
Frannie,
I will be looking for the pictures. Saw the new pictures of Sophie and the family, how cute!!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Jaime
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Indiana
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  08:59:55 AM  Show Profile
Wow! I wouldn't have minded being at Perryville this past weekend. (Though I did have a wonderful time at the event in Indiana) My hubby & I have visited the site before, but not during a reenactment. I can't even image 8000 reenactors! I can't wait to see the pictures. Sounds like it was a good time.
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Reenacting/Living History Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page