Printer Friendly
Author Outpost: Previous Topic Kyaking Next Topic  

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  3:40:48 PM  Show Profile
I get to go kyaking for the first time this evening! My husbands best friend bought a kyak and even 2 tiny life jackets for the kids! I am really excited to go! Montana is really starting to offer up some perks!

Bobbi

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  4:11:57 PM  Show Profile
I hope you have the bestest time Bobbi. My daughter and her boyfriend went kayaking a couple of weekends ago for the first time. They're hooked!

http://www.daisyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  4:14:49 PM  Show Profile
several years ago .. i took a couple kayak lessons .. eyes 'bout popped outta' my head when they told us we HAD to ROLL OURSELVES UPSIDE-DOWN .. AND BE RESCUED! Kayaked a few times after that .. but always on somewhat 'smooth water'. you will love it .. i'll get back to it again someday! xo

True Friends, Frannie

My KENTUCKY RAMBLINGS 'blog':
http://cabincreekfarm-kentucky.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

dargaonfly1054
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Georgette
Nicholville NY
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  4:40:06 PM  Show Profile
Have fun, but I believe I'll stick to the canoe...even those can be tippy to!! (I confess I do not know how to swim, deathly afraid of not so much the water as not being able to breathe!!!)

Georgette

"There is a voice that doesn't use words........Listen."
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  06:03:33 AM  Show Profile
I want to try kayaking. I recently found an article in a magazine that talked about the different types of kayaks for your skill level and for the type of water you'll be on. It was very interesting.
It's just hard to find an opportunity to Kayak when you live in the desert.
Bobbi, let us know how it goes.

"Let us, together, sow seeds for a better harvest-a harvest for hope."
Jane Goodall, Harvest for Hope
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  3:43:40 PM  Show Profile
We went and it was a hoot and a half!

I wasn't too sure about how the kids would do but they both had a really good time. Kaylee enjoyed watching for fish and Halsey just layed there and let her hands drag through the water. My husband and I took turns he would go with one kid and I would go with the other and switch on and off so we had more control over one kid at a time. The boat was an inflatable Tomcat brand kyak, and it was very stable. My husbands friend to bought it could choose between the larger more stable one or the smaller timmpy kind and he chose the larger one so he could go with friends especially now that all his old high school buddies are married with kids now.

This was Halseys first experiance with a lake and she really liked it. In fact the second we got the lifejacket buckled and set her free she ran right into the lake! I was glad I was hot on her trail because the lifejacket had her floating on her face for a second before I got her pointed in the right direction, but being the little daredevil she is, she didn't care about the water in her face as much as she cared that I was holding her back from her watery fun.

There really is something to be said for living in a place that still has so much nature so close by.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  8:42:05 PM  Show Profile
I hadn't Kayak in years and then DH and I went on vacation up in the San Juans, Washington - we stopped to see his uncle at his cabin on Shaw Island and out came the Kayaks. For I knew it I was out in the bay paddling around. I forgot how much I missed it. What was even more fun was a seal that kept bobbing his head up and around my Kayak, he was so curious about me. He followed me around most of the bay, just slightly behind me and just slightly out of my line of sight. What fun. I want to go again.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  9:14:20 PM  Show Profile
That really does sound like fun! I've never been in the water with seals before.

Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  4:50:05 PM  Show Profile
Bobbi -

The funny thing with the seal is I was more worried about him bumping the kayak and tipping me then him just being curious. It was fun, ever since then I have been shopping for a kayak - just need to save up.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  06:08:09 AM  Show Profile
One of my sons just bought a kayak last week and we took it out over the weekend to a nearby lake. He was in that, my husband and I were in the canoe and two other sons in a rowboat. Our chocolate lab kept jumping ship, no matter which boat we put her in - she just wanted to swim. I tried the kayak and loved it - it's a sea kayak, so no rolling over to rescue yourself required. A lot of fun!
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  5:18:43 PM  Show Profile
I just started kayaking last year, and I love it. I mostly stick to calm water. We went camping on Lake Bonaparte, NY, last weekend. The loons on the lake weren't bothered by us at all! I've never been so close to a loon before!

Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Jennifer
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Kyaking Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page