Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Newbie from NC Next Topic  

Penny
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

NC
16 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  05:04:52 AM  Show Profile
Hello from North Carolina!

I am new to this site and am thrilled to have found it. When my kids were small, I was an avid crafter, with SO MANY IDEAS. Through the years, I got busy and sort of lost interest in sewing and crafting. However, they are now grown, and I am excited to say that my creative juices are flowing again! You girls are such an inspiration! I love seeing your pictures! I am currently doing a Redwork project (free patterns I found on the web) of 50's style dresses. (Bobby Socks Quilt Company) I have not used my sewing machine in years and wonder if it still works. (it's been through several big moves) If not, I'm excited about buying a new one! Any advice on new machines? I look forward to being a part of the group and am eager to get to know you all!

Kelly43
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

NJ
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  05:24:21 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Penny!!! You are going to fit right in here. These gals are the greatest. Good luck with the sewing machine. I don't have any advice as I am still sewing with my grandmothers 1930's singer and a Kenmore my husband bought me 20 years ago. But there will be plenty of great advice out there from the other farmgirls. Keep those juices going!
Kel
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  06:24:08 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Penny!! My children are little so I know what you mean about having sooo many ideas, so little time.
RE: machine. I would think about what you want in a machine, start doing some research and then visit some sewing centers to try them out. There are so many diff. makes and models. I too, have a mid-8o's Kenmore that I LOVE!! It is a tank but it lacks the fancy decorative stitch functions that I would like to have.

Best wishes in finding a great machine. Oh, and looking back at your post, I hope your old machine still works. It may need a tune-up though and that is not pricey (at least at my sewing center-they charge about $30 for my Kenmore) and it makes a big difference in the machine!

Tracey,
mama to Callum 13, Katie 8, Wil 5.5, Benjamin 3 and Andrew 6 months!!
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  06:30:16 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the group Pennny!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  06:31:42 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Hello and welcome to the group

As for the old machine if you are not sure it works why are you looking for a new one for about 30 or 40 dollars you can have a person tune it and see what is or is not working. If it is not working you are not out much ( sometimes you can take it to a place that sells refurbished machines and they might just buy it for the cost of the service if you don't want to keep it. then you have htat money tword a new machine no money lost check before you do this or you may spend 40 dollors on a machine that goes tot he trash.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my other web store http://vintagethreads.etsy.com/
my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

Penny
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

NC
16 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  06:56:42 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the sewing machine advice. Honestly, I haven't even pulled the cover off in years! Mine is a very simple Singer sewing machine that was given to me for Christmas 22+ years ago. I've always been envious of those fancy stitches available to some machines. I think I will have my Singer serviced, since I do know how to use it. But in the future, I may be "itching" for a newer, fancier model. It won't hurt to have more than one machine, will it? (we'll ask my husband about that!)
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  07:09:15 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Penny!

Ellen in MI
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  07:31:04 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Welcome, Penny, from another farmgirl living in NC. My kids are little and my ideas are many a difficulty you discribed as yourself in the past... It's encouraging to hear that you are getting back into the farmgirl arts. I am trying to keep up in both areas and somedays feel like I am sinking!
I would bet that your old sewing machine still works, but would take it in to have it serviced--$30 seems to be the going rate. I have a Centenial Edition Singer that still runs great and an old Bernina I picked up at a yard sale for $20 that runs like a charm. Both have limited stitch functions, so I also use a new Husquvarna for detailed or delicate work.
I'm looking forward to getting to know you.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  07:39:27 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Penny

I am so glad you found the site, you will love it I know exactly what you mean. After moving to the farm and thinking I would get some sewing in, I purchased this very expensive, very fantastic machine. It had all the bells and whistles I thought I would want. Nine years later I finally had a week to sew and I did not even know how to get the bobbin in. I had to send away for a new set of instructions (that took five weeks) and when I got them I now do not have the time to sit and really sew. It is amazing what I have been using, a Singer basic machine that I purchased at Wal Mart for $50 and it works great. Go figure.

Gook luck and keep in touch

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
Go to Top of Page

Maggie41
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Bloomington Indiana
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  08:19:28 AM  Show Profile
Welcome, Penny!

I just joined this group myself a few days ago and love it. Your redwork project sounds like a lot of fun. I think I will look up that site myself.

I agree with Grace: I bought a bells-and-whistle sewing machine about four years ago, and it does sew like a dream, but the bells and whistles are rarely used. It just depends on what your future plans for it will include.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  09:07:22 AM  Show Profile
BERNINA! BERNINA! BERNINA! (i'm not sure i would sew if i didn't have my BERNINA). it has tons of 'extras' that i never use .. but i paid for the 'guts' of the machine .. it simply DOES NOT break down or get the thread tangled or cause me any frustrations whatsoever! i've had my machine for quite a few years now and there are probably some good ones that have been developed that are really good too. can you post your redwork pictures? we'd love to see them! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  10:37:55 AM  Show Profile
HI Penny...welcome to the group!! Your redwork project sounds so neat!! I will have to look up that site! Be sure to post pictures ...we love pictures!!
I sew on a cheap Singer...and have a '50's singer for backup and a Singer that is about 10 years old that a sis in law recently gave me with lots of embroidery stitches. So far they do all I need. I usually only use the one. I don't do much that is fancy though. I would love to someday own a longarm quilting machine..that is a real dream I have!!! I have never had a serger but I have friends that can't live without one. There are so many options I guess. I have the simplest thing since I do the simplest stuff..haha
I am glad you found us..it will be fun to get to know you!! I love redwork too!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Penny
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

NC
16 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  3:13:28 PM  Show Profile

This is my first completed dress in my new redwork project. Again, I got these FREE patterns from Bobby Socks Quilt Company online.

How lucky was I to find this little 50's style dress at TJ Maxx? (I love that store!) I plan to display this with my new quilt project!
Go to Top of Page

Kelly43
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

NJ
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  5:25:55 PM  Show Profile
Penny, it's adorable!!! This is going to be a great quilt, we'll expect pictures!
Kel
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  06:56:03 AM  Show Profile
Hi Penny and welcome to the group. I love redwork too and your quilt project looks just adorable - I think I'll have to look up that site!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  06:59:02 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
very cute little dresses

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my other web store http://vintagethreads.etsy.com/
my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home

Edited by - sunshine on Oct 09 2006 06:59:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  5:39:25 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Hi Penny, nice to meet you! I'm newly an "empty nester" so am also getting back to crafting. Have always done a little bit here and there when time allowed (like never) but now I'm concentrating a little on myself and my interests. I absolutely love redwork - very cute! And I was just mentioning to my daughter that I would love a new fancy sewing machine..but then I thought....why? I basically need it to go forward, back, zig zag and maybe a buttonhole or two. Anything more and I probably wouldn't use it! Welcome to a great group and can't wait to here more about your crafts!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Newbie from NC Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page