princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2012 :  4:29:42 PM  Show Profile
I have 12 hens and 1 rooster. We have tried everything and we are not getting any eggs. We keep them warm, light, good food and water. No eggs.

Has anyone ever heard if their rooster slows down egg production? I am just wondering if he has anything to do with why we aren't getting eggs.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Arttie

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2012 :  4:49:18 PM  Show Profile
How old are your hens?

Have they laid before? When did they stop?

And no, one rooster will not slow egg production. Too many roosters will stress the girls and cause them not to lay. Do you have a good rooster? Is he an important part of the flock? Or does he harass your hens? With how many roo's get eaten every year, there's no reason to keep a bad one :)

I don't heat my coop. We give the chickens 13-14 hours of white light per day. They eat off the ground of my hay barn, and they are laying fine. It gets just above freezing during the day and down to the single digits at night. The coop is insulated with small square bales of emergency hay on 3 sides, but that's all.

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising up a small ranch using natural resources.
www.mydoterra.com/thurman
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2012 :  6:17:44 PM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
My hens aren't laying much either, but I am not worried it is just that time of year, to busy getting their new feathers in. Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

Rockin Farm Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

56 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2012 :  7:15:54 PM  Show Profile
If this is something that has just occurred, it is normal this time of year, less sun light, less eggs.
Spring time they should start to produce more. December is my slowest month for egg production. So slow, I stop selling to my local customers so I have enough to bake with for the holidays.
Hope that helps
Happy Trails!

Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2012 :  7:29:53 PM  Show Profile
Yes, it's natural, but the people who depend on eggs to pay for feed and to feed their families will often provide artificial white light to encourage the ladies to lay.

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2012 :  03:56:35 AM  Show Profile
I started to provide light and DUH forgot to provide light to THE OTHER COOP! So no wonder it looks like a feather pillow exploded!

It takes 6 weeks or longer for a complete molt. So with 45 hens, I'm only getting 5-6 eggs a day.
And these are probably the newest hens from this past Spring who are laying.

It makes me sad, 'casue I have a bunch of egg clients who really love their eggs, and just can't provide for them this time of year. Naturally- since it is after all- prime baking season!
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2012 :  05:52:39 AM  Show Profile
I have 6 hens that are over s year old and 6 from this spring. We have not been getting eggs for quite some time. The older ones were laying great until we brought the new ones and the rooster in. Then everything slowed down.

My rooster is great! He loves his girl's and is very nice to them. He loves people. He is protective but not overbearing.

I agoing to try bringing in some hay for a little extra fluff. We don't have insulation in the coop. But it is in a sunny spot.

I am just at my wits end with this. Hubby wants to get rid of them because of the cost of feed.

All the advice is greatly appreciated.

Arttie
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2012 :  07:07:05 AM  Show Profile
I hope you figure it out! If you've had the new ones since spring, are they from a hatchery or another breeder? NPIP?

Any strange symptoms in the flock?

If you just added a light, it can take a few weeks for the girls to kick online- did for us.

Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2012 :  08:11:10 AM  Show Profile
I would also add..are u sure they aren't hiding their eggs somewhere? A neighbor was having the same problem. Her girls were in a coop, not free range, so she was sure they weren't able to hide them. They moved a few logs on the wood pile and a hen had dug a hole big enough to get in there, lay her egg and be back in the coop. She found 4 dozen eggs in that pile!!
Mine free range, so we have just gotten used to checking out their usual hiding spots when there are no eggs in the nest boxes.

You can tell which of your girls are still in production by the size of their comb and waddles. Small comb,and small, tight to the head waddles mean she is not laying. On a hen in production mode the waddles lengthen and the comb will get bigger. Some even flop to the side of the hen's head.

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2012 :  09:26:20 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes bringing in younger birds to an estabilished flock can cause a period of stress as the pecking order is reestablished. Stress of course means few or no eggs. Could be it started with that and then with the timing of colder temps it just extended it. I'd also check hiding spots... that's happened to me. Those are my thoughts. Hope you get it figured out!

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Egg production Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page