Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Overwintering Next Topic  

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2012 :  08:49:21 AM  Show Profile
I need your help. I purchased some northern kiwi and though I got them into upsized pots, I never managed to get them in the ground. Now, I am trying to figure out the best way to overwinter them so I can put them in the ground next spring. They are a lot like grapes when it come to raising, so any advice would be appreciated.

Hubby thinks to just put them into the shed. They would be dormant, but I don't know why that thought doesn't sound right to me other than they would receive no sun or moisture (unless I watered).

Thanks,
Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/

Marigold
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Marigold
Chicago IL
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2012 :  10:54:57 PM  Show Profile
If you live in an area that the ground freezes putting them in now would put them at risk for frost heaving. I'd put them on the ground in a protected spot and then cover the pot and an area around them with mulch or straw for insulation. You could also use leaves if they wouldn't blow away. You could also put the plant where you want it and then mound mulch around it. Make sure to remove the mulch in early spring just before the plant would start growing.
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2012 :  02:13:42 AM  Show Profile
Marigold sounds like she knows what she is talking about. I don't have a better idea.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Overwintering Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page