hialtfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Terri
WA.
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2012 :  8:14:11 PM  Show Profile
I am new at gardening at 4000 feet..Has anyone done this and do you have tips for me? HELP!!??

"LOVING" life at 4000 feet elev.

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2012 :  07:07:03 AM  Show Profile
Hi Terri, Our place is at 4000 ft, and I love it here.
Are you on open ground, or rolling country? Irrigated or dry? There are lots of options, no matter your situation. If you are where the wind blows, some shelter is necessary. In Wyoming some people who had an orchard and nice garden, said they had to plant a windbreak first. We don't have that problem, our is a lack of flat ground. We kept building barns, shops, and stuff on top of all my garden spots. Because of the slope we are on on, we have a longer season than in the valley. And snow helps to insulate things that normally wouldn't grow here. We have been away from the ranch for 5 years, so I started over last spring gardening. I did big containers this year, and am adding raised beds for next year. It helps to have an old feedlot for dirt. Kennie Lyn

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

hialtfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Terri
WA.
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2012 :  4:48:55 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ...ours is flat, a few little nolls and Pine trees...everywhere you look is Pine Trees...but, around the house is cleared and never been planted, I do have to haul all of my water,,,sos,,,,were thinking raised beds with LOTS of mulch will do for us....

"LOVING" life at 4000 feet..."LOVE" is a very splendid thing...
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2012 :  07:46:47 AM  Show Profile
If you are hauling all your water, containers may be the way to go. It takes a lot of water for anything else. I have had pretty good luck with the big plastic tubs that cattle suppliments come in. I have grown tomatoes and cucumbers, lettuce, eggplants, etc, in them. I just drilled holes in the bottom and filled them with good dirt. If you are in a pine area, you probably have soil that need amending. Old feedlot dirt, or compost mixed with your own soil would be good. The best thing about containers is the ease of weeding. They are easy to cover in the spring or fall, and can be put anywhere there is enough sun. Kennie Lyn

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

hialtfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Terri
WA.
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  03:22:27 AM  Show Profile
Your suggestions sound great to me...cannot hardly wait till spring...
THANKS again !

"LOVING" life at 4000 feet..."LOVE" is a very splendid thing...
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2012 :  3:25:13 PM  Show Profile
I'm at 8000 ft and in a dry type climate. I have also gardened in a lower and warmer climate in Texas. A few differences are that there is a shorter growing season. Tomatoes suffer from not enough heat to ripen. However 4000 shouldn't be that much of a problem. My mother lived and gardened at that altitude and it didn't seem to make a lot of difference. In fact things seemed to grow better than at a hotter climate. The length of growing season and the soil is the real factor. If you are in an area with a lot of pine trees you probably won't want to mulch with wood. Too much wood induced PH might be in the soil already. You just need to check your first and last freeze dates to get an idea of what your growing season is and plan accordingly. Have fun!
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Hi altitude gardening? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page