Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Boxer--update--sorry, should have dated my message
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Boxer--update--sorry, should have dated my message Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  4:56:25 PM  Show Profile
Last night, Boxer was lying on the couch and he was swallowing like something was wrong. I checked on him and it seemed like his heart wasn't beating right and he was shuddering. He recovered so I took him to the vet last night and the vet did say his heartbeat was abnormal but without an EKG and bloodwork (to the tune of $800.00 that I don't have) he couldn't say for sure what was wrong. So he gave me some medicine for the nausea (Boxer was salivating excessively, which the vet said could be due to his heart) and sent us home. Boxer seems OK right now. I just gave him a bath (been finding those nasty fleas on him) so at least I think he feels a little better. I guess all I can do is make sure he's comfortable. He's fourteen and a half, so he's pretty darn old for a boxer. I wonder if he had a heart attack. He seems fine now. It's hard to see such a faithful old friend go through this.

Sunday, Nov. 11--sorry if I wasn't clear.
Boxer went home to Heaven this afternoon. He could no longer walk, wouldn't eat or drink, and was ready to go. I wasn't ready to say good-bye, but no one ever is. I found a poem that describes my feelings well:
THE POWER OF THE DOG
by Rudyard Kipling

There is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear

Buy a pup and your money will buy
Love unflinching that cannot lie--
Perfect passion and worship fed
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
Nevertheless it is hardly fair
To risk your heart for a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years that Nature permits
Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
And the vet's unspoken prescription runs
To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
Then you will find--it's your own affair--
But...you've given your heart to a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will,
With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!);
When the spirit that answered your every mood
Is gone--wherever it goes--for good,
You will discover how much you care,
And will give your heart to a dog to tear.

We've sorrow enough in the natural way,
When it comes to burying Christian clay.
Our loves are not given, but only lent,
At compound interest of cent per cent.
Though it is not always the case, I believe,
That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve:
For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
A short-term loan is as bad as a long--
So why in--Heaven (before we are there)
Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

Edited by - prariehawk on Nov 12 2012 3:51:38 PM

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  5:19:59 PM  Show Profile
Glad he is feeling better! That is pretty old for a Boxer. Bless the old man Boxer!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Gladstone Mi.
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  5:36:30 PM  Show Profile
Glad he is doing better now. It is so hard to lose a beloved pet. They are part of the family. Prayers for him.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  9:22:09 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I hope Boxer stays feeling better! What a handsome fella he is! Sending prayers his way!

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  9:22:10 PM  Show Profile
Prayers for Boxer.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2012 :  12:43:15 PM  Show Profile
Poor Boxer :( I hope he's feeling better and back to his normal self soon!

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising up a small ranch using natural resources.
www.mydoterra.com/thurman
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2012 :  2:19:27 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
My mother has a yorkie/chihuahua mix that has breathing problems every so often... we give him a benedryl tablet and after a few minutes he is able to breath. According to the vet, a #20 dog can have 2 at once. You might want to try that with Boxer with your vets okay that is... Good Luck and God Bless sweet Boxer.

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2012 :  2:50:21 PM  Show Profile
I hope Boxer is doing better. He is a handsome boy!

Julie, my vet prescribed only 1 benedryl for my Hobbs who weighed 22 pounds at the time. Boxers are a lot bigger so maybe they can handle the 2nd pill but yes, check with the vet. And also, it was not prescribed for breathing problems, just if he got stung by wasps. He got into a nest of them one night and had a bad reaction, poor guys face was all bumpy and puffy.

Audrey

http://prairiecairncottage.blogspot.com/
Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2012 :  1:15:15 PM  Show Profile
Boxer isn't doing so well. He won't eat and when I let him out, he just wanders around the yard. I have to carry him up and down the two steps so he can go out. His weight is down by about ten pounds. I have some nutri-cal so I'm going to try and stimulate his appetite with that. His eyes don't look right--it's like he's here but not really here. He's sleeping on the couch right now. So I'm feeling very sad cause I know the signs.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2012 :  1:42:41 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
This saddens me.... I will be praying very hard for Boxer.

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2012 :  8:19:36 PM  Show Profile
Cindy: Like Julie said, I'm sad to hear this. I, also, will be praying for you and Boxer. Give him a hug for me. Keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2012 :  01:49:48 AM  Show Profile
So sorry you lost your friend. It is so difficult, but of course, you did the kindest thing by letting him go. You have a tough while ahead of you. I hope you can focus on the good memories. Thinking of you.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2012 :  05:58:51 AM  Show Profile
So sorry for you loss. Its so hard to lose a good friend. Praying for you both. Hugs.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2012 :  06:05:55 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I am sooo sorry for your loss of Boxer. I will continue to pray for you and your family, I know this will be a hard transition!

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2012 :  06:09:52 AM  Show Profile
So very sorry to hear this!
It is so difficult to lose our pets.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2012 :  06:27:23 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
So sorry for your loss, it is so hard to lose your best friend. Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2012 :  06:45:37 AM  Show Profile
Sorry to read that you lost your boxer. It's hard to let go when friends are so close.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2012 :  10:40:18 AM  Show Profile
Cindy, my heart is aching for you. That poem was a beautiful testiment to how much Boxer meant to you.

{{{{{hugs}}}}}
Audrey

http://prairiecairncottage.blogspot.com/
Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2012 :  10:44:44 AM  Show Profile
Tears for Boxer. I am so sorry for your loss. Hugs.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2012 :  11:10:29 AM  Show Profile
I'm sorry you lost your friend, but he's in a better place, feeling no pain now. I hope you are able to know you did the right thing for him, even if you weren't ready. That's the strongest thing a pet owner can do- what's best for their pet even if they're not ready to say good-bye yet.

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising up a small ranch using natural resources.
www.mydoterra.com/thurman
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2012 :  4:01:59 PM  Show Profile
It seems so strange to walk in the door and the couch is empty. It will take some time to adjust. thank you all for your messages of love and understanding.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2012 :  4:53:56 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, many of us have shared our loss with all the MJF. Last December I loss my 22 year old Luck Dog. The girls and their kind words gave me great comfort. And- it will take time to adjust. Again, I'm sorry for your loss. Hugs.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7626 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7626 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2012 :  5:34:02 PM  Show Profile
So Sorry for the loss of Boxer, I know he was a part of your family which makes it so tough. I know how it feels and it is hard for you afterwards when you keep waiting to come and see you or think you hear him in the other room. Love is forever no matter for who or what they are.
My prayers are with you take care
blessings
darlene

I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer
Go to Top of Page

NancyOH1
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

Nancy
Columbus Ohio
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2012 :  4:05:58 PM  Show Profile
Glad to hear your boxer id doing better. I have one girl boxer right now and many adopted from our local rescue lady in the past several years. I did loose two boys to heart problems. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for this baby.
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  3:11:21 PM  Show Profile
So sorry for your loss. It's never easy. Prayers of comfort coming your way

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Boxer--update--sorry, should have dated my message Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page