Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 I don't want to cook for Thanksgiving
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Holidays: Previous Topic I don't want to cook for Thanksgiving Next Topic  

MtnGrlByTheBay
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

Erin
Lexington Park MD
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  12:08:29 PM  Show Profile
This really irritates my husband.

We've been SO BUSY since August. I work Full Time. Finally, I have three weekends where I don't have to do much. The Wednesday after Thanksgiving my DH and I are going to New Orleans (he won Coach of the Year), so I need to not only pack for that, but more importantly, I need to get my house, kids and animals ready for my parents who are coming down to care for all while we're away!

I have to clean my house, grocery shop, plan and prepare ready-to-make meals, get directions all written for kid and animal care, organize schedules, print out maps, and a myriad of other tasks just to make this kid/pet/house sitting experience easier for my 75+ year old parents!

So, no... I DO NOT WANT TO COOK FOR THANKSGIVING! I proposed this concept to my husband and he got a bit mad. He loves to fry a turkey, and watch football, and just be secluded with me and the boys for the day. He says, "We'll just fry a turkey and make a few veggies!" He doesn't understnad that it's WAY more than that! I have to clean the turkey, season the turkey, get the oil filtered, clean off the fryer, shop for veggies, find a recipe that he and the kids will eat, cook it all, then CLEAN up after it all... BY MYSELF!

I just don't want to do all that, knowing that I will have to recover from that big meal, AND get everything ready for our trip!

Am I being a wimp? I'm sure there are places around that serve Thanksgiving Dinner... right?

^^^I'm a RidgeRunner, and will always feel best when surrounded by the PA mountains.^^^

www.lastlapgang.com

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  12:15:46 PM  Show Profile
Make reservations and then go home and watch football. We did it for YEARS! My father hated turkey (killed too many of them when he was a little one on the farm) and it was just "us", the three of us. Better to let someone else to the cooking and cleaning and many, many more restaurants are open now!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  12:38:51 PM  Show Profile
Are there any stores or restaurants by you who you can order your Thanksgiving meal from and pick it up that morning? I did that several years ago when my youngest son was born. We had a couple of friends over and enjoyed our meal. Of course everything wasn't made exactly the way I do it, but it was still yummy. More important, I was completely relaxed & rested (I was nursing too) and I enjoyed my entire visit with my family & friends.

You will have less clean up too.

Good luck on doing what is best and most fun for you!
Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2012 :  09:05:24 AM  Show Profile
I agree, I wouldn't want to cook if I had sooooooo much to do.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2012 :  10:20:03 AM  Show Profile
Often you can order a take home meal from a deli or you could all relax and head to a restaurant. Many more are open on holidays than there used to be.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Go to Top of Page

hwright95
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Heather
Murfreesboro TN
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2012 :  05:07:01 AM  Show Profile
Is there a Cracker Barrel near you? I think they usually have some prepared take home thanksgiving deals

Heather Wright~ Farmgirl Sister #2187 “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”
#8213; Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
www.vintagekarmajewels.com
Go to Top of Page

Annette Kath
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Annette
Carlock IL
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2012 :  08:12:26 AM  Show Profile
No, you are not being a wimp. Life can be very stressful and I don't feel like cooking when there are so many other things to arrange.

I work for Cracker Barrel and we are always open on Thanksgiving Day. Cracker Barrel also has a Thanksgiving Dinner To-Go for $54.99 that serves up to 6 people. If you wish to place an order they prefer it to be 24 hrs in advance. The To-Go dinners will be available from Nov 17-25.

Hope this was helpful!

Annette:)
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2012 :  8:26:21 PM  Show Profile
Many grocery stores have full Thanksgiving dinners or sale. I say let someone else do the work and enjoy the day with the family!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

MtnGrlByTheBay
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

Erin
Lexington Park MD
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2012 :  1:24:53 PM  Show Profile
Follow up: We did Cracker Barrel. Husband was good on the idea until it arrived. He was not at ALL thrilled with the turkey in the gravy (I asked them to put it on the side, but they talked me out of it saying it wouldn't be as good). Thank goodness they gave us ham too. He didn't like the stuffing, and they were supposed to give us mashed potatoes, but gave us apples instead.

IT WAS A BUST.

We laugh about it now... but we won't do that again. (BTW, I thought it all tasted good, but I was the only one)

^^^I'm a RidgeRunner, and will always feel best when surrounded by the PA mountains.^^^

www.lastlapgang.com
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic I don't want to cook for Thanksgiving Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page