Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 "why aren't your kids in school?!" - PART 2
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic "why aren't your kids in school?!" - PART 2 Next Topic
Page: of 2

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  04:58:23 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday, my girls were working so hard all morning on their homeschool assignments that I rewarded them after lunch by taking them to the brand new craft store location that opened near us. They were so excited because they are crazy for all sorts of crafting and wanted to pick up some supplies.

We picked out things fairly quickly and were in line checking out and I showed the cashier our homeschooling/distance learning documentation so I could get my teacher's discount. Suddenly, a female customer checking out at the other register next to us (perfect stranger I had never seen before in my life) piped into our conversation in a very snotty tone with, "Yeah, right - HOMESCHOOL! Are you HOMESCHOOLING in the middle of a store? What's the brilliant lesson plan for today? How to use a credit card? Homeschoolers! Nothing but a bunch of lazy parents who don't want to keep up with their kids' REAL schoolwork from a REAL school!"

She had apparently just finished her transaction, and basically huffed out after saying that before I could even respond. I really should not have let it get to me, but I honestly felt like crying. It hurt a lot that she would say this in front of my little girls.

I know I've said it before, but I will say it again - I don't know where all this animosity and prejudice against homeschoolers comes from! I don't know what gives people the right to think they can say hateful, mean-spirited things to me and my children simply because we homeschool.

I would never walk up to anyone - whether they were a stranger, friend or family member - and start berating them for their educational and schooling choices.

Why is there so much open negativity towards homeschool?

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  05:42:55 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I am shocked that someone would do this! This person must have issues of her own... I was a single mother raising two children with no child-support or help from the county. I would have LOVED to homeschool my children. Looking back I used the school-system as a babysitter I guess. You just keep up the good work and don't let that kind of person bring you down. God Bless!

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  07:28:13 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I have said before and I will say it again. Some people really need to get a life.

What is wrong with a shopping trip lesson? Taxes, what it will mean if you use a credit card, etc. Life is an endless lesson. Learning never stops 365 days a year.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

www.flossesandcrosses.blogspot.com

www.morganicinstitute.blogspot.com

http://mrsroosterbooks.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  10:00:44 AM  Show Profile
Suzanne, write an article about it in the locale paper! I have a stepsister, she homeschooled four of the five kids. 3 are in college very smart. 1 is going to be a chirpactor oh excuse me 2 are and work together and the 3 chef. Dont know about the rest of them yet.. But keep
on doing what your doing. Everyday is a leeson no matter where it is.

Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!

Silly Boys Trucks Are For Girls
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  10:03:07 AM  Show Profile
Oh and forgot to add they're paying their own way.
Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!

Silly Boys Trucks Are For Girls
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  12:16:14 PM  Show Profile
:( Family was doing this kind of thing to my DD and making her very sad.

Any way, I started taking her to EVERY field trip held by all the homeschool co-ops and her own home school cirr (MVPS) had. The first one, some one asked her something and she sadly said, I'm homeschooled. The father at that point said, well I think every one here is homeschooled. Right away DD brightened up and said "really?" He said, yup I think so. And ever since then she has been so happy about it. She sees it's not like my family turned it out to be, and she loves it!

The only negative I have to say though is I wish some of these field trips were better planned....does kind of make us look ditzy sometimes! lol haha But, heck so it brick and mortar school teachers sometimes too! lol

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MtnGrlByTheBay
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

Erin
Lexington Park MD
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  12:31:30 PM  Show Profile
My Homeschooling friend often shares this point of view, when she's out in the afternoons with her kids.

She'll say something like, "Well, we got all our school work done this morning. We didn't have to wait in line for a bathroom break. We didn't have to wait in line for lunch. We didn't have to wait for the teacher to explain the concept again to those kids who didn't understand it at first. We didn't have to write down homework assignments, read the lunch menu, or walk down the hall in single file to other classes. We got up, ate our breakfast, and completed our tasks for the day all before getting dressed!"

I will say this though.... I have my degree in Elementary Education. I am not teaching, but am thankful for the classes I took that taught me HOW to be an educator. They've served me well in being an effective communicator in the software job that I do now. No, a person doesn't HAVE to earn their degree to be a teacher... but there are MANY MANY people in this world who do NOT have the skills to teach. Just because you know a subject does not mean you know how to teach it!

Case in point.... my husband KNOWS football. However, it took several conversations over lunch for him to learn that even though he's a coach, he has to learn how to be a TEACHER if he wants his young players to succeed.

So I think that is why homeschool teachers sometimes get a stink eye. It's not always valid, but I do think there are times where there truly ARE a SMALL percentage of people who choose to homeschool simply because they had a bad personal experience with their own schooling, have trouble with authority, or simply don't want to deal with the demands of a school's requirements.

^^^I'm a RidgeRunner, and will always feel best when surrounded by the PA mountains.^^^

www.lastlapgang.com

Edited by - MtnGrlByTheBay on Nov 06 2012 12:34:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  12:55:15 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, everyone, for the support. I have to say that after it happened yesterday I felt so disheartened. I know I have to develop a tougher skin about this. I just get hurt and mad at all the homeschool prejudice.

I can't believe so many people out there think that homeschool should just be having your kids in your learning space at home WORKING, WORKING, WORKING from sun up to sun down. Half the reason we decided to switch to homeschooling was because I desperately wanted to give them more daily learning experiences out in the world in addition to core skill-building instead of seeing them cooped up at school for 7 hours a day (and most of the time they spent at school was not productive in my eyes, anyhow).

And how do random strangers who see us out in public get to have an opinion about us anyhow???

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2012 :  09:40:40 AM  Show Profile
Another thing is you could of asked her if she even knew that schools no longer have arts and craft classes, and that you were actually getting supplies for your class! But, no it's not right for random strangers to say such stupidness. I probably would of probably said something about how it's a shame that no one teaches the golden rules anymore, maybe they took that out of school too? lol......if you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all, and do unto others how you would have them do unto you.

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Nov 07 2012 09:42:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2012 :  7:10:51 PM  Show Profile
I'd echo Erin -- we DO often mention to people who ask why the kids are not in school (and we say Homeschooling) -- that they are already done with their work for the day! I'm so sorry that you're receiving these bad attitudes -- I am so thankful that we really usually hear the opposite, such as, "oh cool!" or "I wish I could've homeschooled my kids, but. . .(random excuse)" from people out and about.

http://troutwife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

hialtfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Terri
WA.
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  04:42:28 AM  Show Profile
I remember when homeschooling our 4, those things were said to us also and our oldest is 36 and the yongest is 30 and that was a looonnnggg time ago...PEOPLE!!
Sometimes to explain is worthless, sometimes it is also ok....
Most the time they dont know a thing about homeschooling they just have their "opinions"...and they will let you know what it is....

"LOVING" life at 4000 feet..."LOVE" is a very splendid thing...
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  08:20:41 AM  Show Profile
Wow, people like that are scarey!
Ignorance....
I usually ignore people like that.
If I caught someone talking to my children and questioning them I would say something. Most people do ask why they are not in school.
I just say they are done for the day. They don't usually say anything after that.

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  09:11:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I figured out a great comeback for you ladies who homeschool! You could say "oh we are on a field trip. These children attend the (Insert your Last Name here) Private Academy for Children. We are very exclusive." :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wff7Xpc/]

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2012 :  12:54:11 PM  Show Profile
So sad you had to go through that! My go to line (which I only use sparingly when I can think of something witty to respond back to such bitterness) is "It's way to nice of a day to be a crabby old lady (or man)". Besides, maybe she is jealous that she isn't disciplined enough to homeschool her own kids! It's just so sad people have to act like children. I know a lot of homeschooled kids that act more mature than "grown" adults! Keep up the hard work and don't let her dishearten you!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2012 :  07:28:13 AM  Show Profile
First let me say as a Christian I am saved but maybe need to work on sanctification because I would have followed that woman out to her car and let her know she was verbally abussive to my children! Bless your heart and shame on that woman! I work full time and homeschool 3 of my 6 children but I live in a very small town, and people know me and they know better! You keep doing what you feel is right for your family!

It's all good!

http://mscountrygirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

blessedhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Tina
West Virginia
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2013 :  6:12:46 PM  Show Profile
It seems like people like that have issues far greater than whether or not others homeschooling is bad 'in her opinion'.We are homeschoolers,too. I've graduated one who is now in the Air Force.Our youngest two I 'teach' relaxed eclectic-style.Our 15yo dd is an unschooler.I can only imagine what that woman would have to say about that! At first I didn't understand unschooling, but I am becoming more and more comfortable with it.My dd is learning sooooooo much more this year by doing this than if she would have used a boxed curriculum. She has done the basics so now for "high school" she is learning based on HER interests.Sidenote:If anyone is interested,there is a wonderful,supportive facebook unschooling group called "Christian Unschooling"

~Tina

My main blog~ http://frontierhome.blogspot.com

My food blog~
http://mysimplenorthernkitchen.blogspot.com

Psalm 62:5~ Find rest, O my soul, In God alone; my hope comes from him.
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2013 :  08:09:04 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I have been to the Christian Unschooling site and it is very interesting. My daughter also does better when she goes her own way. So we are using some of the ideas in our school. Bri decided that she wanted a Geometry set. Yes, she just turned eight. She loves it. It is beads and rods and you make the shapes. It can be complicated and frustrating. (Yes, even for me) But she is really enjoying it. She and her Daddy spend one afternoon outside using a small hammer and pick to bust open Plaster of Paris blocks to find the gems inside. They had a blast. She decided to work to get her Engineering, Geology, and Young Meteorologist badges from American Heritage Girls. I was and am so very impressed with this. These aren't easy or "fast" badges. Especially for this age.

I thank God every day for the guidance from Him that lead me to remove her from school. Yes, we have bad days and good days. But, it makes my life so much richer.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

ollie
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Ollie
Fredericksburg VA
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2013 :  07:32:13 AM  Show Profile
Whenever I encounter ugliness from strangers, I completely ignore the rude person and speak directly to my children - loudly enough to be heard, of course - with something like, "And THAT, my dears, is a perfect example of ....(fill in the blank)" For example, in this case I might have said "how not to behave in public"
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2013 :  08:27:43 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
You go girl. LOL

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2013 :  09:24:47 AM  Show Profile
I get the looks all the time and sometimes we get asked why the kids aren't in school. My kids just respond proudly, " we are homeschooled." I have neve received quite an ugly response, but I'm sure it is going to come someday and I will probably be just as crushed as you were. Nobody likes being humiliated in public, even if the comments are completely unfounded. That's no way to speak to anyone in public. I agree with Ollie. It's a good teaching moment to show your kids how not to speak to others.

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05), Bennett (7/11/07), Truman (7/28/09) and baby Graeme (11/29/12)
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2013 :  9:21:59 PM  Show Profile
My daughter just turned 5 so didn't start school this year. We constantly get asked why she is not in school if we are out during the day. Obnoxious.

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MilitaryFarmGirl
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2013 :  12:17:21 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth we do home school, but oh my goodness.....in NYC people started asking us at 2, why she wasn't in preschool!

Then here....when she turned 5, both of her grandmas pestered me and pestered me about starting school with her. Well...laws in Kansas won't let a child who's bday is after Sept 1 to go to school that year, they have to be 5 BEFORE the first day of school. And she was not. Both her grandma's harassed me and harassed me about it! I finally told them to go talk to the school themselves, and if they could get the school to let her in, I would let her go.....my step mother actually went! And tried! (I was being obnoxious/sarcastic!) Any way of course they wouldn't bend the rules....and who cares! ARG!

Then her other grandma in NYC had her for a few weeks this summer and went on and on to me about how her cousin is ahead of her by two years! Well, um her cousin is 2 years older then her, so I would certainly hope she would be two years ahead! DUH! She kept on telling me if we were in NYC they would of let her go to school. Even my DH said that was hooey, that they don't let you go to school in NYC for K till you are 5 either.

But, it's really just crazy how they think it's so important. My girlfriend laughed and laughed....she said do they really think that one year in the grand scheme of life is really that big of a difference? And really that is silly to think one year give or take would make a huge difference in some one's life, weather they started K at 5, or almost 6......What craziness to get all worked up over nothing!

Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  08:45:48 AM  Show Profile
wow, My son is only one. We aren't dismissing any option at this point so I've been looking into public, home, and Montessari school. All options here. I've met more and more teachers that are not impressed with public school anymore. I'm glad to hear all this input so I'm prepared no matter what our decision. It amazes me how people have opinions about things that don't concern them.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  10:50:13 AM  Show Profile
Heather, here in MI the cutoff for K is December 1! My son's birthday is November 28, so he just made the cutoff but was not even close to being socially ready to enter school at 4 years old. That is one of the reasons I started homeschooling to begin with. He was hungry to learn, but I was not about to send my four year old into a public school environment. People are so weird with the school thing. I even have a hard time with my husband getting him to relax about it. We recently took several weeks off of school because I just couldn't do it toward the end of my pregnancy and after the baby was born. We are now easing back into a daily schedule and my hubby is all antsy about them getting behind or something. First of all, I did start a K curriculum with my oldest when he was four, so now he is really a year ahead, so I'm not worried about hurrying him through a curriculum just to say he finished a grade. And second of all, in homeschooling, every day is a learning experience in itself and even when we are "taking a break" my kids are learning valuable life lessons all the time. I used to freak out about it when I first started homeschooling, but I've learned to relax a bit. My hubby is just taking a little longer to warm up to the idea of relaxing :) It's funny because I'm the one who went to public school growing up. He went to a private Christian school, so you'd think he'd be the be who was a little more laid back...

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05), Bennett (7/11/07), Truman (7/28/09) and baby Graeme (11/29/12)
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  6:36:27 PM  Show Profile
Good idea Laura, I started researching as soon as I found out I was pregnant with DD1! lol

Soibhan, my DH is totally chilaxed about it. I don't think he cares really at all...I mean I'm sure he wants her to have a education but he's just like...not a care in the world about it! lol Except he said absolutely no to public school. Which I was pretty shocked about. Born and raised in Brooklyn, NYC. But, I wanted to home school all along so...thankfully that was a bonus!

Funny thing is, all that work up from her grandmothers and she's almost done with K now. She will be done by my calculations by March. With our cirr, she can start first grade right away. By, my calculations when all is said and done the way we are doing school she should be at LEAST one year ahead by her graduation time, if not 2 or 3 years. In reality it would be at least 3 if I had no other babies. I do plan on more children though, and plan on taking off the last months (probably also the first month as pregnancy will be SLOOOOOW with schooling as I am usually so nauseated!) and probably the babies first three months of life would not be a lot of school going on either. So that would be what would bring us back down to only being one year ahead, which in reality would be two years ahead (if she had started when her grandparents wanted her to). I know a lot of spinning in my words here trying to keep up. But, we are doing year around schooling which by my calculations puts us at least 1/2 a year ahead each year, and then we are really even more then that this year ahead....so....but then when I start with the other kids, I know our pace will probably slow down and that's why I say it may only be a year ahead by the time all is said and down at graduation time, but in reality if I didn't have any more children (where I wouldn't have to be taking months and months off for pregnancy and those first few months of no sleep craziness!) she could end up graduating 3 or 4 years ahead of time! So all their worries in vain!

Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2013 :  08:56:57 AM  Show Profile
There is a program here attached to the school district that supports home schoolers. They host activities and the kids actually get a diploma. They go before a board like a dissertation. They can go to classes like chemistry at the HS (not my best subject) and still get classes that might be important to them. I do like that the district supports them here.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic "why aren't your kids in school?!" - PART 2 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page