Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Recipe from MJF Magazine-Flopped!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Recipe from MJF Magazine-Flopped! Next Topic  

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  04:57:39 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I made a big pot of split pea soup and wanted some crusty bread for dipping. I decided to make the cast iron skillet french bread from the latest MJF magazine. Everything was going well until the final stage. Slit the tops and brush with beaten egg. My beautifully raised dough did a major exhale and collapsed. I baked it anyway and the flavor was good but the texture was heavy. Anyone else make this? I think it needed more flour added during the 4 kneading stages. It did seem a little on the wet side. Any advice would be appreciated. As for the failure, I am using it to make stuffing and bread pudding. Waste not, want not!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White

Ashley
MaryJanesFarm Food Guru

54 Posts

Ashley
Moscow ID
54 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  10:11:58 AM  Show Profile
Diane,

I am sorry to hear that the bread you made fell. It is possible that it needed a little more flour. The trouble with bread recipes is that the amount of flour varies depending on the day, the weather, and the flour you are using. Generally, kneaded breads should be dry enough to work with and the dough should not stick to your hands during kneading. If your bread was too wet, the outer layer probably dried out during rising, and when you cut it with the knife, it pulled on it just enough to make the whole loaf fall. Again, I am sorry that this recipe didn't work out for you, but I love that you are using it for stuffing and bread pudding! That sounds delicious!

Ashley
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  12:14:21 PM  Show Profile
http://www.frugallivingnw.com/frugal-homemaking/amazing-no-knead-bread-step-by-step-recipe/

So easy sooooooo good. The directions are long but for the most part easy. mix, set, 12 hours, or more knead 2 times cover a towel with flour place the bread on the towel cover. let set while the oven heats with cast iron in with a lid and bake. Careful when you put it in the pot let cool all the way it is Good.

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  12:41:45 PM  Show Profile
I can sympathize Diane. Although I didn't use MJ's recipe the last time I made some french bread the same thing happened to me. It was just like your tire loosing air. By the time I got my loaves baked they were more like a foccacia, flat and wide. Guess I'll head the suggestion of using more flour next time.

Audrey

http://prairiecairncottage.blogspot.com/
Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

Amommaathome
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

2 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  3:54:29 PM  Show Profile
I agree that you probably needed more flour. I made the recipe tonight and it turned out beautifully. I put coarse salt on the top and it tasted like the pretzels you can get at the mall.
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2012 :  04:57:48 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
This is what I do... I cut the slits into the bread Before it rises... perfect bread everytime. Good Luck Diane!

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.

Edited by - ClaireSky on Nov 07 2012 05:01:31 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Recipe from MJF Magazine-Flopped! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page