pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2012 :  5:59:19 PM  Show Profile
Does anybody else do winter gardening here? I just planted garlic and carrots for the winter. Tomorrow I will plant my onions.

I've never winter grown carrots before so I'm a little nervous about it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  06:36:27 AM  Show Profile
I actually have been an "accidental" winter gardener for years, Phillis... carrots that never grew over the summer were suddenly popping up and huge come spring! I've planted garlic for the past few years, too, with great success. I didn't know until recently that you could plant onions in the fall! I am really excited! I actually have onion sets that I grew myself from seed over the summer, so I'm going to be tilling the ground and putting them in this week sometime! I also have planted three different types of carrot seeds. The leaves are already showing, but I won't touch them til spring. If all goes well, you will be amazed at how wonderful your carrots turn out - the cool weather really makes them a lot sweeter, and they seem to thrive in the cold!!! Won't this all be wonderful come springtime!? Imagine - fresh garden carrots for Easter! YES!

I wonder what else we can plant successfully in our winter gardens? I will be planting a lot of different things come March, but I sure would love to experiment with some other veggies over the winter! :) It's so exciting to me!

Good luck! I'll be looking forward to hearing how everything turns up in the spring! :)

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Earthstone
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Karen
Troy WV
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  4:45:37 PM  Show Profile
I planted garlic last year and it didn't amount to a lot this year, so I separated it all out and replanted it. I have had carrots show up in the spring accidentally, too. I never have very good luck at getting many of them to sprout when I plant them, but usually end up with "surprise carrots" in the spring. I tried some winter gardens in plastic containers that I read about on a website about winter gardening but that was a total flop. I would love to have a greenhouse...maybe someday, but we need to build a real house first, as ours was destroyed by fire in 2010. We've been "camped out" between a small trailer and a cabin on our property since then. If anyone knows more about winter gardening, I'll read about it!
Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  7:08:49 PM  Show Profile
There are some other veggies that you can winter garden, if you have mild winters or can make a canopy over your garden. You might want to try celery, cauliflower or brussels sprouts, since they are cool weather crops. I know somebody here who grew the most flavorful celery in the winter. She made a plastic tent over a raised bed.

Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  5:28:27 PM  Show Profile
Planted my onions today. I'm looking forward to the day when they pop out of the ground. I planthed these same onions a couple of years ago and took Best of Show at the county fair.

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Winter gardening Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page