Zippy
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Zee
Idaho
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2012 :  09:37:46 AM  Show Profile
Hello, I'm sort of a newbie here, but I thought I would post a bit about the things I'm doing to get our home ready for those chilly days of winter.

I just finished our living room and kitchen yesterday. I put that shrink wrap plastic on all the windows and some weather stripping on the front and back doors. I also put some outlet insulators in the outside wall sockets.
I can't believe how much warmer it stays in those rooms now! We have an oil stove and the fuel for that thing is so expensive, anything I can do to keep the heat in helps save some money.

Does anyone have more ideas for weather proofing I might be able to utilize?

"Only A Life Lived for Others is A Life Worthwhile."
~Albert Einstein

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2012 :  2:06:27 PM  Show Profile
Draft dodgers. Use towels, rugs, or whatever you have to make draft dodgers for your doors. We put them down in front of all of our doors when we are inside. It keeps the heat from seeping out under the door sill.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs
Go to Top of Page

Zippy
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Zee
Idaho
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2012 :  6:29:55 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, I will be using the draft dodger idea. I can feel the cold air coming from underneath my doors. I've read that all those little leaks add up to the equivalent of a big hole in one of your walls in energy waste!

~Albert Einstein

http://pinterest.com/zipporahd/
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2012 :  07:15:07 AM  Show Profile
With a big woodstove and a small log house, I am trying to let heat our most of the time. *lol*

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

Thirty-One Independent Consultant

www.mythirtyone.com/233237

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

Zippy
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Zee
Idaho
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2012 :  12:12:00 PM  Show Profile
Sherone, I can relate to that. We used to have a small house with a very good woodstove and we had the same problem, lol. I miss our woodstove :(

~Albert Einstein

http://pinterest.com/zipporahd/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2012 :  12:19:48 PM  Show Profile
Yep, weather stripping and draft dodgers--in my old cottage from 1920, there is very little insulation and over the years, getting new windows has made a big difference, too. I have made draft dodgers before, but this year, I happened into this place called The Christmas Tree Shop (which, incidentally has only a "little" Christmas decor) and found these awesome sand filled draft dodgers at $3.99 a piece. They work better than any I've had. Going to go back and get some more! I invested in one of those electric stoves that looks like an old cast iron wood fireplace for $150.00 and it heats up to 400 sq. feet. My husband had it on this a.m and it just about ran me out of the house at 65 degrees.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

hialtfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Terri
WA.
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  04:09:35 AM  Show Profile
I can relate to the large wood stove and small log house...our log home is 16 x 30 with an upstairs....logs are not easy to heat if not chnked well...(another subject...LOL!) and they are not good insulators(my experience anyhows).

"LOVING" life at 4000 feet..."LOVE" is a very splendid thing...
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2012 :  05:06:31 AM  Show Profile
I am planning to make Window Quilts.. when I lived for a while in an old turn of the century (1900) farm house..The tall, thin window glass hardly kept the cold out. I was bundled in a living room chair in a big quilt to keep warm in winter.

Silly me.. why not quilt the windows instead of the people? I figured I could make a quilt that would be nice to look out on the outside and inside.

Make it the height and width of the window. And hang it just inch or so away from the glass to prevent condensation on the material and thus eliminate the potential for black mold growth.

So, that's my goal for this summertime and hope to have the Home snuggly wrapped by next winter!

"There is no unbelief: Whoever plants a seed beneath the sod and waits to see it push away the clod, he trusts in God." (Kate Douglas Wiggin)
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Winterizing our home Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page